PDA

View Full Version : New Neptune products at MAX

RussM
04/02/2011, 08:06 PM
I went to the MAX show today... Curt was showing a couple of new forthcoming products.

Most significant is the new AquaController Junior. This is not your grandfather's ACjr! ;) It is a unified design, with the controller and 4 outlets in one chassis. Think of it as an EB4 with a brain :) It is expandable with Apex/AquaBus modules like the PM-x, WXM, and VDM. There will be a limit of 5 expansion modules, which is quite generous for an entry-level controller. The base Jr package will set for only $150!!! With a display head, it's $250. The display is optional.... see below. And it has the network interface built-in with the same web-based UI as the Apex models. Availability should be sometime in May. I didn't think to ask if the 4 outlets will be all triac, all relay, or a mix of the two.

The other new product is the next-generation LunarSim, which has the AquaBus interface. I forget what the price will be.

I also saw a preview of Apex v4.1 firmware. It will have everything in the web interface that must be done today with the display head menus... i.e. WMX/Vortech pump firmware updates. In other words, with 4.1 firmware, there will be no need to have a display unit at all, even for initial setup of Apex, Apex Lite, or the new ACjr. To facilitate initial setup, there will also be a software utility that will discover the controller on the network regardless of its IP address and also allow initial network configuration from a computer. I think Curt said that there will be both Windows and Mac support. Expect more attractive status pages too...

I got busy trying to keep my 4yo grandson out of trouble, and forgot to go back to the Neptune booth to snap some pictures :(

Aflac01
04/02/2011, 10:32 PM
I liked the aqua notes iPad app they had on display. Looked a lot better. He didn't give me a good answer on when they are going to be releasing it.

pyton
04/03/2011, 01:48 AM
Do you know when the Apex v4.1 firmware will be released?

RussM
04/03/2011, 06:12 AM
Do you know when the Apex v4.1 firmware will be released?

Without intending to be flippant, the best I can say is "when it's ready".

slief
04/03/2011, 05:01 PM
I liked the aqua notes iPad app they had on display. Looked a lot better. He didn't give me a good answer on when they are going to be releasing it.

I saw that too but assumed it was the Aquanotes you download from the App Store.. Can anybody confirm that to be the case?

RussM
04/03/2011, 05:59 PM
I saw that too but assumed it was the Aquanotes you download from the App Store.. Can anybody confirm that to be the case?At a glance, it looked like the same old Nullriver app to me, running in X2 mode. But I didn't look that closely.

pyton
04/03/2011, 08:28 PM
Without intending to be flippant, the best I can say is "when it's ready".

Okay I will play,

When do you think it MIGHT be ready... If you do not want to answer in public please send me a PM..

Thank you Russ!

RussM
04/03/2011, 08:43 PM
If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say May, in conjunction with the anticipated availability of the new ACjr.

slief
04/04/2011, 12:02 AM
Okay I will play,

When do you think it MIGHT be ready... If you do not want to answer in public please send me a PM..

Thank you Russ!

Curt indicated at the show that the current beta firmware posted in this forum is nearly bug free and incorperates those changes.

If I were to make a wild guess, I'd say May, in conjunction with the anticipated availability of the new ACjr.

That would make sense timewise.

Aflac01
04/06/2011, 05:09 AM
I saw that too but assumed it was the Aquanotes you download from the App Store.. Can anybody confirm that to be the case?

They told me it was an update to aqua notes that they were working on that was fully iPad compatible but wasn't ready for release yet.

notclear
04/06/2011, 05:55 AM
More info on the Apex Jr.

http://************.com/2011/04/05/neptune-systems-apex-jr/

kayl
04/06/2011, 08:01 AM
More info on the Apex Jr.

http://************.com/2011/04/05/neptune-systems-apex-jr/

http://reef builders.com/2011/04/05/neptune-systems-apex-jr/

kayl
04/06/2011, 09:10 AM
After further reading, I think this is a no-brainer for those who want an entry level controller; the ability to upgrade to an Apex in the future and use the Apex Jr. as an EB4 is pretty cool. With the ability to use up to 5 aquabus accessories, you could easily run smaller tanks on the Jr. by itself.

I might be tempted to pick one up for a frag or QT tank set up myself :)

ToLearn
04/06/2011, 10:08 AM
Thinking about getting one for my QT tank and it can serve as a back up! With my coral QTs I usually don't monitor pH, so temp probe, heater control, lighting cycle, and a little on/off oscillate with a power head... Then if my Apex gets hit by lighting and the Jr. is on a different breaker and lives......

kayl
04/06/2011, 11:32 AM
Thinking about getting one for my QT tank and it can serve as a back up! With my coral QTs I usually don't monitor pH, so temp probe, heater control, lighting cycle, and a little on/off oscillate with a power head... Then if my Apex gets hit by lighting and the Jr. is on a different breaker and lives......

Same thing here! I saw this tidbit on an earlier Reef Builders article:

Another unique feature is the new AquaController Junior is designed as a beginning stage controller that can fully integrated into the Apex or Apex lite systems down the road. If you upgrade to the Apex system, just plug it in the and it will recognize it and make it a slave unit, essentially treating it just like an EB4 module.

I wonder if the Temp probe will be functional if you use the Apex Jr as part of your apex system...

ToLearn
04/06/2011, 11:42 AM
I've been curious as well. If not it would be a big draw back. Figured I would wait until closer to the release before I start to hit them with more questions.

Orcrone
04/06/2011, 02:58 PM
I didn't think to ask if the 4 outlets will be all triac, all relay, or a mix of the two.:(

According to Reef Builders they're all 8 amp outlets, leading me to believe they're relay controlled.

Baba Booey
04/06/2011, 06:20 PM
I can't wait for the new firmware and look forward to the moonlights as well.

kenargo
04/06/2011, 07:00 PM
According to Reef Builders they're all 8 amp outlets, leading me to believe they're relay controlled.

Yes, all 4 outlets are relay.

ToLearn
04/06/2011, 07:17 PM
Sweet! Now will the temp probe work when it's plugged into a full Apex system?....

kenargo
04/06/2011, 07:28 PM
Sweet! Now will the temp probe work when it's plugged into a full Apex system?....

Firmware is not complete; that information is unavailable at this time but if I hear anything I'll let you know.

ToLearn
04/06/2011, 10:22 PM
Thanks Ken. Can't wait. I think it will be worth it regardless just hope they don't sell out before I get one.

notclear
04/07/2011, 05:29 AM
Can I use it just as an EB4 plugging into my existing Apex?

If my main Apex unit dies for some reason, then I can just use this Apex Jr as a backup and to control some stuff.

Baba Booey
04/07/2011, 06:48 AM
Can I use it just as an EB4 plugging into my existing Apex?

If my main Apex unit dies for some reason, then I can just use this Apex Jr as a backup and to control some stuff.

That's a great question!

kayl
04/07/2011, 08:14 AM
That's a great question!

Initial information from reef builders seems to indicate that it would be possible

RokleM
04/07/2011, 08:27 AM
The only thing missing from this being an absolutely amazing entry level solution is a pH probe. Granted you can buy a pm1, but that adds another 50% onto the price. If it had one of those, I would be buying one for QT in a heartbeat.

aculross
04/07/2011, 10:32 AM
Are you taking pre-orders at this point?

mcallahan
04/07/2011, 11:15 AM
The only thing missing from this being an absolutely amazing entry level solution is a pH probe. Granted you can buy a pm1, but that adds another 50% onto the price. If it had one of those, I would be buying one for QT in a heartbeat.

You have to wonder if it came with one and cost $25-$50 how many more people would jump in.

Of course I don't know if that makes sense business wise for Neptune, which is the bottom line.

RokleM
04/07/2011, 11:19 AM
You have to wonder if it came with one and cost $25-$50 how many more people would jump in.

Of course I don't know if that makes sense business wise for Neptune, which is the bottom line.

Or even a "PM1 lite" or "PM1 Jr" that just has a pH probe and nothing else. Personally I somewhat see this as a basic requirement for a controller (along with temp), but that's just me.

Cajun Reefer
04/07/2011, 11:25 AM
Would the original DirectConnect, DC4HD or DC8 (non-aquabus), accessories work with this new Apex Jr?

bamf25
04/07/2011, 11:47 AM
I think BRS sells a standard grade ph probe for around $30. I am not sure about the quality though.

ToLearn
04/07/2011, 11:58 AM
Would the original DirectConnect, DC4HD or DC8 (non-aquabus), accessories work with this new Apex Jr?

Yes, at this time it appears they would work with it and anything else Neptune has made.

I think BRS sells a standard grade ph probe for around $30. I am not sure about the quality though.

A pH probe by itself is like a mouse with out a computer to plug it into. You need a port to plug it into which the PM1 has.

ToLearn
04/07/2011, 12:00 PM
Are you taking pre-orders at this point?

"They" are not. In order to address Neptune directly you should e-mail them, I don't believe anyone that officially works for Neptune talks on this forum, but they may occasionally check in.

From what I heard pre-orders may start in mid may.

RokleM
04/07/2011, 01:02 PM
Yes, at this time it appears they would work with it and anything else Neptune has made.

A pH probe by itself is like a mouse with out a computer to plug it into. You need a port to plug it into which the PM1 has.

I'm not so sure about that. I only see Aquabus, ethernet, and temp connections on that box, not the old style. Also says "All AquaBus accessories work with the Apex Jr", hinting at not supporting anything that isn't aquabus.

Good question to ask though for those trying to upgrade from an old Jr.

aculross
04/07/2011, 01:31 PM
"They" are not. In order to address Neptune directly you should e-mail them, I don't believe anyone that officially works for Neptune talks on this forum, but they may occasionally check in.

From what I heard pre-orders may start in mid may.

Email them like you suggested - availablity and preorder should be in May.