PDA

View Full Version : Tomini Tang

Tang tank
04/02/2011, 08:11 PM
I recently purchased a Tomini Tang and a Kole Tang from my LFS. They are both in QT. The first time I feed them they both went crazy and ate like champs. But now the Tomini Tang doesn't eat with as much gusto. The Kole Tang still eats like he will never be feed again. I've tried spreading out feedings, I've tried different types of frozen food, flakes, and pellets (all of which the Kole is LOVING) with no luck from the Tomini. They both haven't taken to the algae clips in the tank but I understand that will take some time. The Tomini swims fine, has no visible signs of illness. Could it be that the LFS wasn't feeding them enough and that first time I feed them the Tomini stocked up and now eats smaller amounts? Or could their be trouble around the corner?

Rebel
04/02/2011, 08:24 PM
How big is your QT? Two tangs, especially if any size at all, might not compete well in the confines of a QT. Tominis can be shy and tend to be less dominant than other fish, especially tangs. Koles are too, generally, but I have had two (one recently traded at LFS) who were aggressive and bullies, spiking several fish during feeding times. They are usually good community fish, but two tangs in a QT is not exactly a community tank.

Every fish is unique, as I am sure you know. Is there any aggression between them? Or do they swim in tandem or ignore each other? You are ahead of the game by QTing, first of all, so good job in that. Keep an eye on behavior at times other than feeding and look for dominance clues. Keep trying the algae clip, and possibly rubberband some algae to a rock as well so that there are two or more algae stations. That way the Tomini may not have to compete. My Tomini loves algae on the clip and has overcome his shyness relatively quickly. Don't give up.

dan-in-gr
04/02/2011, 09:24 PM
Hi, I have the same two fish in my 90 SPS and a lawnmower blenny, I rarely feed them as they will eat algae, when offered regular food, they prefer to pick on any algae on rocks and tank walls which is very little. I just put in an other fish and will be going with Elos SVM2 food and a frozen marine mix washed to keep any phosphate preservatives out. Basically try algae based foods rather than meat with them.

SDguy
04/02/2011, 09:57 PM
They are both in QT. The first time I feed them they both went crazy and ate like champs. But now the Tomini Tang doesn't eat with as much gusto.

Any signs of disease? If not, I suspect water quality issues. Ammonia test results?

Tang tank
04/03/2011, 10:15 AM
My QT is 55 gallons. I actually purchased the 2 tangs 2 weeks ago and they were moved into the same tank the day I bought them. Then on Friday when my maintenance crew came they brought them out and acclimated them to the QT. They have shown no signs of aggression towards each other since being moved into the same tank at the LFS. And seem to swim together and hang out together in the QT. I haven't seen either of them chase each other away or flare their fins.

This morning when I came downstairs I had to take a double take because the Tomini was eating the algae off the clip. Then when I feed the frozen food she ate really well. So I think she isn't used to being feed multiple times a day and just stuffs her self during the first feeding of the day.