PDA

View Full Version : Computer Fans To Cool Tank?

cm11599ps
04/03/2011, 08:10 PM
My tanks been cycling for two weeks now and all the time I was getting around 77 degrees on my controller. The past few days it's warmed up and I'm getting readings of 79 and approaching 80.

I'm worried about the summer months. We do have central air here but even with the central air my house will still be a bit warmer then it currently is with the 79 degree readings.

It's a 55 gallon with about 22 gallon sump/fuge. I've got 4 425gph Koralia PH's that cycle on and off along with 2 mag 9's and a mag 5 in my sump. Lighitng is 4 bulb T5. Open top tank.

I just rigged up an old computer fan to an old cell phone charger and plugged it into my APEX to turn on if the temps get too high. The only way to currently mount it with the supplies on hand was to place it about 12" above the water level in my sump and blowing down into it. I realize it's no the most ideal situation. I was thinking about velcroing it to the rim of the tank. Good idea?

Do you think the one fan would be enough to help cool the tank? If I need two fans then can I wire both fans to the same cell phone charger?

t11t5
04/07/2011, 05:25 PM
I have 4- 3.5" typhoon computer fans wired into one 12v charger. If you put the fans on top blowing at your lights or across the surface, it will help more than in your sump..

cm11599ps
04/07/2011, 05:38 PM
I have 4- 3.5" typhoon computer fans wired into one 12v charger. If you put the fans on top blowing at your lights or across the surface, it will help more than in your sump..

I have plenty of fans so that wouldn't be an issue. Being I have an open top I was thinking about just velcroing them on the rim.

So far I just have the one blowing into my sump. If it gets too hot then I'll look at adding additional fans and putting them on the rim.

MitchReef
04/07/2011, 07:05 PM
Be really thoughtful about the velcro. I had one slowly let go and didn't notice until it fell in. Luckily it was just 12 volts and I saw it right after it took the swim.