PDA

View Full Version : new sump/fuge help

nightfire
04/03/2011, 11:05 PM
well im bout to build a new 29g sump/fuge and need some thoughts...i was thinking of doing the standard drain/return/fuge set up....i meassured out my return pump and even the upgraded skimmer i'd like to put in the future and 15 inches looks good for both so that would give me bout another 13 - 14 inches to play with,if i have the skimmer and return pump both in the same chamber, couldnt i make the drain chamber rather small say maybe 3 inches which would give me like 10 or so for the fuge part, which isnt too bad btw the skimmer i have now is the coralife super skimmer 220 and in the future i want the reef octopus NWB-110 which seems like a cool one and if anyone wonders i have a 55g aquarium...thanks guys

nightfire
04/04/2011, 12:04 AM
anyone?

Bamm Bamm
04/04/2011, 12:10 AM
My drain chamber is my skimmer chamber/reactor chamber.. You don't want the return in your skimmer section.. you want it in a seperate chamber to allow for evaporation(also have your ATO float switches in the return chamber..
here's a pic of my current one..my ATO float switches arent in the pics though I hadn't installed it when the pic was taken.. I've used this design on several systems and really like how it works out.. Also the mangroves are mostly for looks from all my research there horrible at nutrient export..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/zk669/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_9166.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/zk669/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_4385.jpg

nightfire
04/04/2011, 02:00 AM
didnt think of putting it like that....guess then the return area can be just big enough for the return pump as long as i have an ato huh

nightfire
04/04/2011, 05:10 PM
bump

meat1974
04/04/2011, 08:21 PM
I'm with bam bam on that. Than you can set your baffles at different heights. By having a separate return area you could possible go a little bigger on the other areas.

Bamm Bamm
04/04/2011, 10:25 PM
yeah i've had several differently designed sumps over the years and I really like this way its setup.. I actually made the return into the fuge into a spraybar last night to clean the cheato a lil cleaner didn't have much flow on one side of the fufe before