PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a pump

fsbbn@hotmail
04/03/2011, 11:23 PM
Hi!

I am looking for a return pump for a large (2500 Gal system). I need it to be submersible as I have had leaks from fittings before and the wife feels more comfortable this way.

I am looking at Quite one Pump 14000 (3626 GPH) and Supreme HY-Drive 6000 (5700 GPH). Any one know which pump would be better?

Thank you.

shifty51008
04/04/2011, 12:53 AM
I have used quiet one pumps and magdrive pumps and I would go with a mag pump over the quiet one pump anyday.

sjm817
04/04/2011, 07:30 AM
That is a huge pump for a submersible. You really should be using an external. There is no reason a properly installed bulkhead will leak. BTW, those Mag HY-Drive pumps are awful. Rebranded Resun.

fsbbn@hotmail
04/04/2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the reply. Looks like both those pumps are out. Does anyone have experience connecting two Mag 24s in series? I agree the external pump is much better. I had a leak once and I am very paranoid but I think I am going to look into utilizing an external pump that is sitting in a enclosure to hold water. That way if there is a leak the pump will short but there will be no water on the floor.

sjm817
04/04/2011, 10:40 AM
You could use two pumps and they dont need to be in series. Just have two pumps with two return lines.

nivenethan
04/04/2011, 11:32 AM
If you aren't on a budget you could look at Red Dragon or Abyzz for really powerful internal pumps that have a controllable flow rate.

RLHornbeck
04/04/2011, 05:54 PM
I would also look at the Reef Octopus Water Blaster Pumps
HY-10000 (2700gph)
HY-16000 (4300gph)

slief
04/04/2011, 06:30 PM
Do you really mean 2500G system? If so, I would strongly suggest you not cut corners on your pumps. I would go external and I know you are opposed to that. That would be a lot of water to have riding on a cheap pump. By cheap, I dont just mean cost and I wouldn't run that large of a system on a Mag or QuietOne pump. I'm not saying they are junk or anything like that. Thats just me personally. I dorun a QuietOne on my QT system, but not as the main artery on a large tank. I have a 500G and run a Reeflo Hammerhead and on a 2500, that would be my minimum. That or a controllable Red Dragon pump.

There is no reason for leaks at the pumps if you do it right the first time. Add union ball valves before and after the pump and if your really concerned, drop a pond liner down under the tank. Thats what I did. If your worried about leaky seals, get an Iwaki. Only down side to those pumps is the heat they generate, the cost for running them and a bit more noise. They will run indefinately. One last bit of advice. Use teflon past (not teflon tape) and thread joints and re-tighten your bulk heads a day or 2 after the the sump has been running.

This is just my thoughts on how I would do it as it works well with my existing setup. I also keep spare pumps on hand for those just in case moments. I've had too many issues with submersibles in the past to trust one to my entire system.

I'm putting my flame suit on now.. http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/emoticons/pwrmad.gif

RokleM
04/05/2011, 08:20 AM
Agree with the above. Do not cut corners and things should not be leaking. No offense, but this is a VERY minor issue in comparison to the complexity of a 2500g tank. If this has you or your wife at a standstill, I would recommend taking a step back and thinking through everything before going any further.

Your other issue with monster in sump pumps is the large amount of heat they generate. All of that is transferred into the water. Granted you have a large water volume which will help, but it's something that has to be considered (especially since we don't know your location or house temperature).

IMO, get a quality external pump (or better yet two). Panworld, Reeflo, etc.

pmrossetti
04/05/2011, 08:56 AM
Flowstars. 2 for redundancy.