PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming 150g tankmates

Kyuss
04/04/2011, 12:19 AM
I've been out of the hobby for almost 4 years now, and with some amazing luck of being in the right place at the right time for a killer deal, I'm getting back into it with a nice sized tank to boot (6ft x 18in x 28in).

I previously only had a 55g which I kept a picasso trigger & snowflake eel in for about 5 years, along with a blue damsel. I finally felt like he was itching for more room so I gave him away to a bigger home, the other two went to other homes shortly after that and took down my tank as I didn't have the time (at that time.) Now, I'm wanting to do another fowlr and haven't even gotten the tank delivered yet, but am already thinking of what I want to stock it with. This is the fun part, right? :D

I'd rather keep a smaller number of fish that have plenty of room to grow, then to periodically have to thin the herd as they grow. Here's where I'm at and the questions on what would be a good mix.

Triggerfish - Definitely going to have another trigger, and I'd be plenty happy with another Picasso, although I'd be open to the other non-monsterous (ie clown, undulat) with the exception of a Niger - I would rather have one of the others, just personal preference.

Wrasse - Harlequin Tuskfish, have always loved these guys, but never had one. This is the other one I definitely want to have.

Puffer - I've always liked the 'basic' Porcupine puffers, not too fond of the dog-face ones. Would this tank be big enough for a Porcupine?

Angelfish - I know these guys can get pretty big, I'd be fine with one of the 'smaller' full-sized angels.

Tang - I know some of these guys really need some major room for swimming, would just like to add one for a bit of variety.

Hawkfish - Another one that always intrigued me, would like something like a Flame or Blood Red.

Any combo's of these six species you guy's care to suggest? Is keeping these six in a 150g enough room to let them mature in? I'll be using a 55g for a sump for a total of 205g. Keep in mind I don't even have the tank yet, much less setup, so this is just preliminary planning. Any comments are much appreciated!

DoubleM 10
04/04/2011, 09:25 AM
I've been out of the hobby for almost 4 years now, and with some amazing luck of being in the right place at the right time for a killer deal, I'm getting back into it with a nice sized tank to boot (6ft x 18in x 28in).

I previously only had a 55g which I kept a picasso trigger & snowflake eel in for about 5 years, along with a blue damsel. I finally felt like he was itching for more room so I gave him away to a bigger home, the other two went to other homes shortly after that and took down my tank as I didn't have the time (at that time.) Now, I'm wanting to do another fowlr and haven't even gotten the tank delivered yet, but am already thinking of what I want to stock it with. This is the fun part, right? :D

I'd rather keep a smaller number of fish that have plenty of room to grow, then to periodically have to thin the herd as they grow. Here's where I'm at and the questions on what would be a good mix.

Triggerfish - Definitely going to have another trigger, and I'd be plenty happy with another Picasso, although I'd be open to the other non-monsterous (ie clown, undulat) with the exception of a Niger - I would rather have one of the others, just personal preference.

Wrasse - Harlequin Tuskfish, have always loved these guys, but never had one. This is the other one I definitely want to have.

Puffer - I've always liked the 'basic' Porcupine puffers, not too fond of the dog-face ones. Would this tank be big enough for a Porcupine?

Angelfish - I know these guys can get pretty big, I'd be fine with one of the 'smaller' full-sized angels.

Tang - I know some of these guys really need some major room for swimming, would just like to add one for a bit of variety.

Hawkfish - Another one that always intrigued me, would like something like a Flame or Blood Red.

Any combo's of these six species you guy's care to suggest? Is keeping these six in a 150g enough room to let them mature in? I'll be using a 55g for a sump for a total of 205g. Keep in mind I don't even have the tank yet, much less setup, so this is just preliminary planning. Any comments are much appreciated!

well i will answer your question but with a suggesting. you might want to answer the questions on the kinds of equipment you are getting.

get a basic idea of the fish(like you have now) then u ask about equipment not really fish.

but anyway

trigger-i like the clowns or a huma huma(only cause i like the name) if im not mistaken both of the triggers i have mentioned are a little more aggressive

wrasse- im 100% with you on the Harli. i love the looks and the attitude of the arlies i have seen

puffer-i like the spiny puffer. just a cute little puffer

angel-i would go coral beauty or a flame angel. just cause small and colorfull. some of the larger ones look great when they are young then turn ugly for some reason

tang- a yellow, tomi, kole, purple. i just like those

hawk- im not to sure they would be all that compatable, but if i had to choose one i would do a long-nose or an arc eye.

these are what i suggest. IMO you will need to upgrade the tank later due to the puffer and possible the trigger.

like i said before. find equipment first. i know getting a tank is very exciting. i do the same thing everytime i get one. but we need to put things into priority order thats all

Kyuss
04/04/2011, 11:42 AM
Definitely will be sorting out equipment first, as I said this is quite a few months out til I get to the fish, just am considering my possibilities is all.

Like I said, I'll be using the 55g for a sump. Will have to see if I'll have enough room for a refugium in there, otherwise I'll pickup another smaller tank. The 55g is about the only thing I have left that will be of any use, so I'll be going with a new skimmer, pumps, powerheads, etc.