PDA

View Full Version : Questions concering Anthias

NasotheHutt
04/04/2011, 11:15 AM
I noticed quite a few Dispar at a few LFS over the weekend, and I like them! I've got a 180 that's about ready and would like to keep one or, if possible, two types of anthias. Based on everything published on Anthias as a whole, they should be kept in groups or at least 4 and up to 10. How do you quarantine so many at once? If I want a harem of 8 can I get 4, quarantine them and then add 2-4 more a month later to not overload the system or the quarantine system? I know only one male per system and the ones I saw over the weekend were pretty small, like no one has changed sex yet. Also, looking ahead, could another harem of a different kind be housed later?

boilermaker1
04/04/2011, 11:46 AM
I did 8 dispars in a 40 breeder QT without problems.... feed them and syphon out the excess shortly after (since you have to feed them several times a day anyways...) but you will be doing a fair number of water changes. I'd just get 8 at once if thats how many you want... I found them to have a very group-minded mentality, if one would eat, they all would, so IMO, for getting them started, more is better.