PDA

View Full Version : fish you have that refuse to eat pellets.

geaux xman
04/05/2011, 12:11 AM
i have 4 good size carberryi anthias that refuse to eat pellets. they go wild over anything frozen. 3 weeks of on/off trying to feed pellets wihtout any luck.

also a 4" adult blueface that refuse pellets also. been trying on/off to feed it pellets for a month now. its in QT at the moment.

i've tried not feeding for a couple days, soaking in water from thawed mysis, and garlic and still nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else has given up trying to feed some of their fish pellets...

Asureef
04/05/2011, 01:41 AM
I had a hippo tang and yellow assessor that did not eat pellets. I simply starved them out for a whole week before they started trying it. Try feeding twice a day just pellets for a week. I feed new life spectrum, my clowns love them and now, I got all my fishs on it.

Alex T.
04/05/2011, 08:59 AM
Lyretail Anthias. Everything else devours them.

sanchoy
04/05/2011, 09:02 AM
Anthias.. as well.. they are too picky nicky..

also my copperband doesn't

tcmfish
04/05/2011, 11:28 AM
What size fish and what size pellets? Also what pellets? With enough time and effort you can get fish to eat pellets if they are the right size, besides maybe seahorses or some scorpionfish.

But angels and anthias should definitely take pellets, just got to figure it out.

sTefaniA
04/05/2011, 02:21 PM
My achilles does not eat pellets. Everything else he goes crazy for, but not the pellets... Also my copperband doesnt eat them.

MCCOOL
04/05/2011, 03:09 PM
My anthias and wrasses much prefer pellets over frozen.

Like Tim said, make sure the pellets are an appropriate size for the fish being fed. My fish all eat .5mm and 1mm NlS pellets with gusto.

novazul1
04/05/2011, 03:56 PM
They can survive without food for 2 weeks or more if in good condition so usually i starved them with 1 week first and usually they will eat anything that you throw in tank and after that try to feed more pellet than frozen food

SkullV
04/05/2011, 04:15 PM
Seahorses :(

geaux xman
04/05/2011, 11:49 PM
They can survive without food for 2 weeks or more if in good condition so usually i starved them with 1 week first and usually they will eat anything that you throw in tank and after that try to feed more pellet than frozen food

well at first i had just let the carberryi anthias starve one day, but i would cave in and start giving them frozen mysis again. i'm going to try and go several days of not feeding them anything besides pellets. i've been trying both .5 and 1mm NLS pellets. i've also been trying the ON Formula 1 small size pellets.

the carberryi anthias are probably med-large size.

same with the blueface. i dont know if i want to let it not feed for 3 days while its in copper.

D5HP
04/06/2011, 07:12 AM
My banggai cardinals refuse to eat them.

The lyretail eats one or two per day...but doesn't completely refuse them.

-Dustin

tcmfish
04/06/2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah I wouldn't stop feeding it while you are treating it. If you are going to stop feeding any fish make sure it is well fed before you do so.

Swolek
04/06/2011, 08:56 AM
My lyretail anthias and lemonpeel angelfish never ate pellets or flakes. They'd only eat frozen foods and were picky about which ones. Even my dwarf lionfish ate pellets after a while but never those two!

New Life Spectrum pellets are great at getting picky fish to eat but I didn't have any when I had my anthias. I wonder if he would have tried them eventually.

Oh, and I had a Lawnmower Blenny starve because he wouldn't eat anything I offered, including live macroalgae. He ate green microalgae and that's it...wasn't enough to sustain him :(.

mhowe9
04/06/2011, 02:02 PM
My Banggai pair refuse to eat anything but frozen brine or mysis. I also have Moorish Idol the doesn't eat pellets but will eat most frozen foods.

small alien
04/06/2011, 02:15 PM
My pipes and scooters will not.

geaux xman
04/09/2011, 03:58 PM
my 4 carberryi anthias in QT are eating .5mm NLS pellets, but not eat the 1mm NLS or ON Formula 1 pellets. those .5mm pellets just appears so small though, not sure they are getting an adequate food supply. I guess, thats where i need to supplement with hikari mysis 1x/day.

flameangel88
04/09/2011, 04:20 PM
Semilarvatus is the only fish I have that will not eat pellet or flake. Oh, forgot about the R. frondosa.

cside
04/09/2011, 07:04 PM
none of my fish eat pellets. not even the firefish. they love flakes though

chasekwe
04/09/2011, 08:12 PM
None of my fish eat pellets, my clowns did, but since nobody else seemed interested I just stopped using them.

Why the push to ween fish onto pellets? Should I be trying to get my group to eat pellets/flake?

SDguy
04/10/2011, 08:04 AM
Several of my anthias need the pellets to be soft/presoaked.

geaux xman
04/10/2011, 08:13 AM
Several of my anthias need the pellets to be soft/presoaked.

will they eat 1mm NLS pellets? what pellets do you feed?

thanks.

SDguy
04/10/2011, 08:17 AM
Is "regular" 1mm?, because that's what it says on the container.

geaux xman
04/10/2011, 08:22 AM
for NLS, at the top of the label, it says .5mm/1mm/3mm/etc....

.5mm is very grainy. maybe like a grain of sugar.

SDguy
04/10/2011, 08:24 AM
Oh, yeah, there it is :) Yup, 1mm. I have the 0.5mm stuff. it's like dust :lol: Good for feeding LPS though...

MCCOOL
04/10/2011, 01:09 PM
I've always used the 1mm personally, but recently was given some of the .5mm. The .5mm stays circulating in the water current for much longer which is nice for the anthias, who love to chase down food.

Asureef
04/10/2011, 11:08 PM
I've always used the 1mm personally, but recently was given some of the .5mm. The .5mm stays circulating in the water current for much longer which is nice for the anthias, who love to chase down food.

The .5mm pellets float, they don't sink at all unless you pre-soak. Though, most of my fishes except for a goby have learned to pick it off the surface. Which is a plus for me, I hate it when it gets the sand bed and not get eaten.