PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! Fish not eating

kmasonbx
04/05/2011, 12:34 PM
So I recently decided to redo my setup so I emptied out my 55g tank which at the time was housing only a Yellowtail Blue Damsel. I also had 2 False Percs who were in QT (10g) when I decided to start over. On Saturday I began the cycling of my tank so I removed the Damsel and put him in the QT tank with the False Percs which will be my main tank while the 55g cycles.

When I put the Damsel in he instantly claimed a territory for his own and it was actually the territory of the Clowns and he snapped at them a few times but after that everything has been peaceful and I have seen them swim past each other without a problem. The Damsel seems to be acting normal but when it comes to feeding time the Clowns eat but the Damsel doesn't even go towards the food. Today when I fed flakes I watched him swim right past food that sunk towards him. It's the same food he used to always eat with no problem in the old tank.

Also while he was the only fish in the tank at the time of his removal he was in the tank at one point with 3 other Damsels who have since been returned because they were too aggresive and even then during feeding time he would eat with no problem.

Now that it's been 4 days of me not seeing him eating I'm starting to get worried, should I be? And if I should be how can I get him to eat?

stingythingy45
04/05/2011, 01:03 PM
Just give it time.
The fish is probably freaked out because of the move.
A 10 gallon is a little small.It's too bad you can't get a 20L,that would be ideal for this.

Ethan_W
04/05/2011, 01:44 PM
it's probably just stress. how big is the damsel? moving from a 55 to a 10g may be the problem. imo just feed them some frozen brine shrimp. he will more than likely not pass that up. i usually feed frozen foods the first few days when i get a new fish just to make sure they are eating. generally if they wont take brine shrimp the first day they probably will the second

ReeferBill
04/05/2011, 01:51 PM
When I introduce new fish to my set up and they do not eat I get some live brine shrimp just to get them eating and switch over to frozen mysis and frozen plankton. Always rinse live brine shrimp in a net to remove the polluted water that they are kept in the fridge in, you can also replace this water with fresh saltwater to keep the shrimp alive longer .... Happy reefing!!!!:beer:

kmasonbx
04/05/2011, 02:30 PM
All 3 of the fish are similar in size about 1 inch, the Damsel is slightly bigger than the clowns. Brine is the 1 food source I haven't fed yet, so far I've fed Mysis, Flakes, Formula One pellets and currently have a piece of garlic enriched seaweed attatched to a rock and nothing from the Damsel. I will try Brine when I feed tomorrow, thanks.