PDA

View Full Version : Please help stray voltage!

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 02:22 PM
ok so my clownfish keeps jumping and mr inverts are dying i put my hand in and i get buzzed. i dont know how this is happening because everything is grounded and their is a grounding probe in the water and i thought it was broken but i checked the continuity on it and it was fine so next i have to get my dads help since hes an electrician to check the outlet but it should be working fine like it always did i dont know why it started i always feel like the water temp and stuff with my finger now im getting zapped and nothing has changed in the tank. and i thought the grounding probe prevents this anyway.

Sk8r
04/05/2011, 02:27 PM
That's not good. You need a GFI on that circuit, for one thing. It seems that grounding probe is not working. Google it plus the word 'instructions' and see if you can figure what's up with it. I've never had this happen, but that probe should not let this happen. Have you another pump you could install instead? Does it do it when your lights are turned off? Pump, lights, heater are the 3 main suspects.

JoeRonda
04/05/2011, 02:28 PM
Yeah, that should'nt happen. Check to make sure the grounding probe is indeed connected to a good grounding source (grounded outlet). I mean if you used a tester for the outlet and it checks out you should'nt be getting shocked.

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 02:32 PM
i used a continuity meter for the probe and i know its an electrical term but for anyone that does not know what it means well it means that the wire is connected so the probe has a 10ft wire and you connect the meter to one side and if it can pass the electricity to another side theres a handheld thing and you put it next to the other side and it will beep if the wire is working or the other meter (i used both) you just attach the wire to both ends of the probe, the outlet side and the titanium part that goes into the water, and it will beep if the wire is good so the probe is ok. now later when i find my dad in the house i just don't wanna go running around the house now. i will ask him for the outlet tester to make sure the ground is still working on the actual outlet.

DownwardDawg
04/05/2011, 02:59 PM
Regardless of what your reading, the probe's not working. It hard to troubleshoot electrical issues sometimes on the computer, but if the ground probe were working, you would not get shocked. If you're getting shocked, there is not only voltage in the water but also current. It's looking for ground. When you touch the water, you give it a path to ground. A grounded metal(titanium) probe is a much better conductor than you are so it would all go straight through that probe to ground...if the probe was good or correctly tied to ground.

JoeRonda
04/05/2011, 03:21 PM
Regardless of what your reading, the probe's not working. It hard to troubleshoot electrical issues sometimes on the computer, but if the ground probe were working, you would not get shocked. If you're getting shocked, there is not only voltage in the water but also current. It's looking for ground. When you touch the water, you give it a path to ground. A grounded metal(titanium) probe is a much better conductor than you are so it would all go straight through that probe to ground...if the probe was good or correctly tied to ground.

+1 ....Good explanation.

Uncle Salty 05
04/05/2011, 03:23 PM
Unplug things one at a time until you figure out what is causing the problem.
I had this happen just a couple of weeks ago. Every time I would touch the drain line from my 10 gallon tank I would get a tingle, not really a shock.
The only thing on the 10 gallon tank drawing power is the light, I unplugged it and the tingle was gone.
All I had to do was give the light fixture a thorough cleaning and wipe the rim of the tank off really well and it stopped. Now I clean it weekly so it doesn't happen again.

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 03:29 PM
does a ground wire just go directly into the dirt or something like can i put a titanium wire and stick it right into the dirt outside? i still didn't get a chance to check the outlet yet because i found my dad and hes sleeping so i dont want to wake him up

Uncle Salty 05
04/05/2011, 03:36 PM
does a ground wire just go directly into the dirt or something like can i put a titanium wire and stick it right into the dirt outside? i still didn't get a chance to check the outlet yet because i found my dad and hes sleeping so i dont want to wake him up

No, if you want to ground it directly like that you should go get a 6 foot piece of rebar and drive it into the ground and attach the probe to it.
But the best thing is to attach the probe to a properly grounded outlet, just stick it in the bottom hole on an outlet.

DownwardDawg
04/05/2011, 03:45 PM
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/downwarddawg/how-to-replace-an-electrical-receptacle-1.jpg

See the screw in the middle that holds the outer plate to the metal part of the receptacle? That screw connects to earth ground. You need to hook the end of the probe to that screw if possible. This is the safest way. Remove that screw, put a ring terminal or fork terminal on the wire and tighten the screw back up. Your grounded.

DownwardDawg
04/05/2011, 03:47 PM
Don't touch anything shiny!!!!! That's what I tell beginners. Don't even remove the faceplate. Just remove the screw, land the wire frome probe, and put screw back. Simple as that.

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 03:49 PM
ok thanks, nice diagram. but this just happened out of no ware, it started yesterday. so thats why im curious because the meter is reading good continuity. and i plugged the probe into multiple outlets and i still get zapped.
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/downwarddawg/how-to-replace-an-electrical-receptacle-1.jpg

See the screw in the middle that holds the outer plate to the metal part of the receptacle? That screw connects to earth ground. You need to hook the end of the probe to that screw if possible. This is the safest way. Remove that screw, put a ring terminal or fork terminal on the wire and tighten the screw back up. Your grounded.

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 04:09 PM
ok i measured the outlet and the tester says its good so i guess it comes down to the probe. im gonna buy a new one but how does the continuity check out of it doesnt work.

LifeAquatic
04/05/2011, 04:32 PM
Your meter is telling you the ground wire is good. The meter is not telling you the wire is properly grounded. Go find your dad and have him make sure the ground probe is "grounded". Sounds like the probe doesnt have a good ground.
good luck!

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 05:09 PM
ok i got my dad and he got some high tech fluke electrical meter and the voltage in the tank was 1v. and he tested the continuity on the probe and it works its just that if you bounce the wire around it gets messed up so im just gonna order a new one. Thanks for all the advice and help!
Your meter is telling you the ground wire is good. The meter is not telling you the wire is properly grounded. Go find your dad and have him make sure the ground probe is "grounded". Sounds like the probe doesnt have a good ground.
good luck!

Sk8r
04/05/2011, 05:16 PM
Amid all this---did you ever find out WHICH plug-in was causing the problem---or was it potentially the probe itself? You can turn off anything but the main pump. If it's the lights just don't run them, ditto the probe.

DownwardDawg
04/05/2011, 06:16 PM
ok i got my dad and he got some high tech fluke electrical meter and the voltage in the tank was 1v. and he tested the continuity on the probe and it works its just that if you bounce the wire around it gets messed up so im just gonna order a new one. Thanks for all the advice and help!

Good deal! Fluke is the best made. That's all I use.

Anthony.Luciano
04/05/2011, 06:21 PM
i think its the return pump or the heater. the lights are hanging from the ceiling so theres no contact with the tank and i have 1 good heater and 1 old one. its not the skimmer but i remember testing it a long time ago before i got the probe and it was either that old heater or the return pump i cant remember but ill eventually replace those.
Amid all this---did you ever find out WHICH plug-in was causing the problem---or was it potentially the probe itself? You can turn off anything but the main pump. If it's the lights just don't run them, ditto the probe.

JoeRonda
04/06/2011, 12:12 PM
QUOTE=Uncle Salty 05;18600494]No, if you want to ground it directly like that you should go get a 6 foot piece of rebar and drive it into the ground and attach the probe to it.
But the best thing is to attach the probe to a properly grounded outlet,just stick it in the bottom hole of the outlet

Be careful with this instruction, you might get someone electrocuted this way. :fun2::fun2:

Anthony.Luciano
04/06/2011, 12:16 PM
the main ground for the house is like this. its in the electric room the rebar sticks out about 3 inches above the concrete level and i think it goes like 6-8 feet down in the ground so theres 4 electrical panels and the ground from each one is attached to the rebar.

Be careful with this instruction, you might get someone electrocuted this way. :fun2::fun2:

puffer21
04/06/2011, 12:26 PM
I have so many tanks that everyone once and a while i will put my hand in the tank and get a shock. I typically notice it the most if i have a small cut on my hand. Not really the smartest thing to do but if your desprete unplug everything then plug things in one at a time with your hand in the water, when you get shocked again that is the item not working.

Uncle Salty 05
04/06/2011, 12:26 PM
Be careful with this instruction, you might get someone electrocuted this way. :fun2::fun2:[/QUOTE]

Could you please expain for us what the bottom hole on a three prong receptacle's function is?

Anthony.Luciano
04/06/2011, 12:48 PM
the ground?

Could you please expain for us what the bottom hole on a three prong receptacle's function is?[/QUOTE]

Uncle Salty 05
04/06/2011, 12:55 PM
the ground?

Could you please expain for us what the bottom hole on a three prong receptacle's function is?[/QUOTE]

Bingo!

DownwardDawg
04/06/2011, 12:56 PM

The "round" hole is the ground. The small slit is the hot and the larger slit is the nuetral.
This can be at the top or the bottom, depending on which way you place the plug. It is safer to install receptacles like this pic shows. If you have something like a lamp, etc... plugged in and a small child comes along with something and hits down on the plug, the child will contact the ground wire. (assuming you are using a plug with a ground) If it's turned the other way...

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb465/downwarddawg/Electrical/how-to-replace-an-electrical-receptacle-1.jpg

Dyzio545
04/06/2011, 01:19 PM
Unplug things one at a time until you figure out what is causing the problem.
I had this happen just a couple of weeks ago. Every time I would touch the drain line from my 10 gallon tank I would get a tingle, not really a shock.
The only thing on the 10 gallon tank drawing power is the light, I unplugged it and the tingle was gone.
All I had to do was give the light fixture a thorough cleaning and wipe the rim of the tank off really well and it stopped. Now I clean it weekly so it doesn't happen again.

I agree 100% +1