PDA

View Full Version : Think I just made a big mistake

JG1
04/06/2011, 04:10 PM
I just added a 2.5" purple tang...this is the last fish going in the tank.

Anyway, it's terrorizing all the other fish...7 chromis, firefish, flame angel, 2" hippo, coris wrasse.

Figured since I added it last it would be ok...not.

Any chance he'll simmer down some or am I screwed?

evsalty
04/06/2011, 04:12 PM
It might calm down after it finishes establishing dominance. The purples can be jerks. Also they can be hit or miss on zoa nipping hopefully your's does not or will not get a taste for them.

dogstar74
04/06/2011, 04:13 PM
In a 100 gallon tank, can you isolate him in one side with a plastic divider? If you can separate the fish and put him by himself so that he can see the other fish, he may get used to them, and calm down. Then in a couple of days you can remove the divider and he should mingle OK. If not then you may have a problem.

Good luck,
Aaron

sergebmw2
04/06/2011, 04:35 PM
O snap yeh that is a problem for the tank and the other fish well i would go with the last post separate him with an egg crate divider or something cause he might start killing other fish with his ASOMENESS ( i love TANGS)

whats that an avatar off!!!!!!!!:fish1::fish1::fish1:

Bilk
04/06/2011, 04:43 PM
Turn off the lights. Tomorrow he may settle down.

kingfisherflesh
04/06/2011, 04:50 PM
The mistake you made was introducing the purple as the largest fish.

Mine is a little jerk...stressed the hippo to the point where it just came down with ich. First time in 8 years I have ever had that. Its embarrassing.

Tore the whole thing down, took out the fish.

He will be the last fish back in the tank after everything is re QT'ed. Sweet fish. Not friendly.

JG1
04/06/2011, 07:47 PM
I don't think I'd be able to section him off without rearranging all the rock. Hopefully tomorrow or the next day he'll calm down or I'm gonna have to go fishing for the little bastard.

JG1
04/06/2011, 07:48 PM
The mistake you made was introducing the purple as the largest fish.

Mine is a little jerk...stressed the hippo to the point where it just came down with ich. First time in 8 years I have ever had that. Its embarrassing.

Tore the whole thing down, took out the fish.

He will be the last fish back in the tank after everything is re QT'ed. Sweet fish. Not friendly.

Yeah.

Funny thing is he's been at the LFS for 3 weeks now and played SOOOOO nice with the other fish in the tank.....buy him, put him in my tank, sucker turns into el diablo.

Tokyo
04/06/2011, 09:11 PM
Doesn't help you but my purple was one of the last and the biggest fish I added to my 95GAL and he's been fine. Sometimes chases my Canary Wrasse around but when he catches him he just swims off. Ignores my clowns and chromis. Pot luck I guess. Hope he settles down.

gmpolan
04/06/2011, 09:22 PM
I think its honestly hit or miss, as majority are aggressive, ive had a 6 inch for years now and he has never been anything but peaceful towards other fish, larger or smaller

betamed
04/06/2011, 09:40 PM
He'll calm down just keep an eye on your hippo

LaOtIn
04/06/2011, 09:48 PM
Ive heard some horror stories about aggression from these guys and then Ive heard some really happy ending stories. I honestly think its one of those coin toss fish, some are mean as sin and some are get-a-long nice fish

one of the best get-a-long purple tangs ive ever seen is in a tank that the owner was locked up for having. they have a hippo and a purple as the only 2 fish in one of the solana 34g cubes. aside from the fact that the owner is in tang prison both of the fish are awesome and extremely happy (for like a year +).

On the other hand I have a friend with one in a 300g tank and it has killed 3 other tangs that the owner has tried to put in the tank, 2 hippo and one blonde naso. by kill i mean pestered and stressed till the fish got sick and died. so the guy has a huge awesome tank, huge awesome purple and a tank full of smaller, scared fish lol

/shrug

elFloyd
04/06/2011, 09:48 PM
Sounds corny... But it worked with my purple. I taped pictures of purple tangs all over my tank. The pt was so confused he hid for two days until the pictures came down. When he came out of hiding he was a little puppy dog!

LaOtIn
04/06/2011, 09:50 PM
Sounds corny... But it worked with my purple. I taped pictures of purple tangs all over my tank. The pt was so confused he hid for two days until the pictures came down. When he came out of hiding he was a little puppy dog!

now that is a SWEET idea, honestly

evsalty
04/06/2011, 09:51 PM
the pt was so confused he hid for two days until the pictures came down. When he came out of hiding he was a little puppy dog!

roflmao

JG1
04/07/2011, 08:18 AM
sounds corny... But it worked with my purple. I taped pictures of purple tangs all over my tank. The pt was so confused he hid for two days until the pictures came down. When he came out of hiding he was a little puppy dog!

lol!!!!!!!!

psusocr
04/07/2011, 08:26 AM
any tang in a small tank will cause terror, IMO when he starts growing it will only get worse unless you get them all in a larger tank with more room to hide, establish territory etc..

JG1
04/07/2011, 02:25 PM
He's playing nice today!

campos
04/07/2011, 02:42 PM
turn off the lights. Tomorrow he may settle down.

+1