PDA

View Full Version : Lost all of my fish due to....

AquaWave523
04/06/2011, 05:05 PM
I made a huge purchase a few weeks ago and then all my fishes started to die off. It started with the Hippo Tang forming a hairlike fur on his mouth and then the next day he was gone. Then slowly each and every fish started to dissapear and none last more than 4 days after the discovery.

The fishes looked like that had a white fading color in their stomach or side of their gills. Does anyone know what it was? Im reluntant to put new fish in until I know it's safe in there.

I have only inverts and corals and they seem to be fine. Only the fishes are all gone.

Thank you

garrett3423
04/06/2011, 09:24 PM
thats just depressing, the hairlike stuff sounds like fungus to me

Sk8r
04/07/2011, 10:08 AM
It's not safe. Get a qt tank. You can get new fish, but keep them in quarantine for 8 weeks. By 8 weeks, hopefully, the main tank will be clear. It is either fungal or bacterial, and treating a display tank can blitz the bacteria. Red Slime Remover is actually a 'safe' antibiotic in a 'safe' dose---IF you have a really good skimmer. Treating the tank with that might help, but if you don't have a good skimmer it could also crash your tank. Reading instructions is absolutely necessary with this stuff.
Re fish in quarantine, go to the newbie forum and look up the Procedure with New Specimens sticky. That will explain what to do.