PDA

View Full Version : Sohal tang snapped again!!!

sanchoy
04/08/2011, 12:43 AM
Well my 10 inch Sohal tang goes through periods of temperament spasms. His latest victim is no other then the cleaner shrimps. For the last 2 years the Sohal enjoyed the company of these cleaners, as they picked at his skin and did their duty well.

This latest 2 days was a little different. I noticed that the shrimps moved underneath a rock and the Sohal will attempt to get cleaned by them as usual but the cleaners will move deeper underneath the rock.

Then today i observed that the Sohal actually took a swipe at them with his mouth, and attempted to pull them out. Long and behold, 2 hours later i saw the Sohal swimming around with a cleaner shrimp in his mouth. He did not eat it, he just killed it!!!

Whats up with this jeckle and hyde fish. Any experience with Sohals attacking shrimps?

SaltwaterAdict
04/08/2011, 12:49 AM
Well my 10 inch Sohal tang goes through periods of temperament spasms. His latest victim is no other then the cleaner shrimps. For the last 2 years the Sohal enjoyed the company of these cleaners, as they picked at his skin and did their duty well.

This latest 2 days was a little different. I noticed that the shrimps moved underneath a rock and the Sohal will attempt to get cleaned by them as usual but the cleaners will move deeper underneath the rock.

Then today i observed that the Sohal actually took a swipe at them with his mouth, and attempted to pull them out. Long and behold, 2 hours later i saw the Sohal swimming around with a cleaner shrimp in his mouth. He did not eat it, he just killed it!!!

Whats up with this jeckle and hyde fish. Any experience with Sohals attacking shrimps?

Maybe he's hungry. They eat 24/7 in the wild..

I would try to offer more food. They'll usually leave them alone if they're full.

geaux xman
04/08/2011, 12:53 AM
what other fish is in the tank?

RealReef7
04/08/2011, 01:09 AM
he's telling you "i need more room"

snorvich
04/08/2011, 06:27 AM

Well, eventually, there will be no Dr. Jekyl, only Mr. Hyde.

davocean
04/08/2011, 10:46 AM
That's Sohals.
I had the smallest one I've seen, like 3-4" in my 180g and the day I placed him I knew it was a mistake, tank was just too small, and he was obviously going batty.
Can't imagine a 10" even in a 250g keeping it's cool.
They just need way too much swim space IMO.

sanchoy
04/08/2011, 10:52 AM
Oh the Sohal is fat. He gets his share of food. Tummy fat and bloated all the time from eating. He just snapped just like that at Mr. Shrimp.

He has plenty of other tank mates as well. Yellow,Purple,Horse Shoe,Achilles, Tomini,blue hippo tangs to horse around with. He does not bother them much, but the cleaner shrimp deal was just odd.

snorvich
04/08/2011, 11:51 AM
Oh the Sohal is fat. He gets his share of food. Tummy fat and bloated all the time from eating. He just snapped just like that at Mr. Shrimp.

He has plenty of other tank mates as well. Yellow,Purple,Horse Shoe,Achilles, Tomini,blue hippo tangs to horse around with. He does not bother them much, but the cleaner shrimp deal was just odd.

Well, just wait, there are more candidates for such aggression.

GrendelPrime76
04/08/2011, 12:56 PM
sounds like hes getting ready to go on a kill crazy rampage, that tank is way to small for a 10in sohal

snorvich
04/08/2011, 01:58 PM
sounds like hes getting ready to go on a kill crazy rampage, that tank is way to small for a 10in sohal

Yes, I had to remove one from a 350 gallon at about that size. Had him for many years and then he just went nuts.

djze
04/08/2011, 02:44 PM
i'm surprised it hasn't gave you a problem yet being he's in a tank with so many tangs especially an achilles how did you get away with that you been very lucky so far i have a 5 inch sohal that can't be housed with any tang even if the other tang is doubled the size it will slash it all up he's been on solitary for over a year in an 8 ft 240 just haven't got rid of him because it's one of my favorite tangs good luck with yours

SaltwaterAdict
04/08/2011, 06:23 PM
What are the dimensions of the 250 gallon? Everyone's saying that's pretty small, but imo that's a fairly large tank. I think the issue may be all the other tank mates causing some stress.

sanchoy
04/08/2011, 09:53 PM
The bigger question is why did he take his anger on the cleaner shrimps instead of the other fish in my tank. Like i said before he was trying to get cleaned by them, instead of doing their work (like they usually do) they moved farther into the rock and hid.

The Sohal, which appeared to be angered due to the lack of cleaning, just started biting at them.. and killed one cleaner, the other one hides in horror.

Can such a small task, anger the Sohal so much he had to kill? Wow.. i sometimes become astonish at the character of this fish.

SaltwaterAdict
04/08/2011, 10:38 PM
The bigger question is why did he take his anger on the cleaner shrimps instead of the other fish in my tank. Like i said before he was trying to get cleaned by them, instead of doing their work (like they usually do) they moved farther into the rock and hid.

The Sohal, which appeared to be angered due to the lack of cleaning, just started biting at them.. and killed one cleaner, the other one hides hides horror.

Can such a small task, anger the Sohal so much he had to kill? Wow.. i sometimes become astonish at the character of this fish.

No offense, but it's a cleaner. Neat critter, but I think you're overemphasizing it imo

If it worries you that much. Pull out the other cleaner and call it a day. Are you really contemplating taking out the sohal to keep the cleaner?

Pallobi
04/08/2011, 11:11 PM
It's gonna get to the point where the sohal will jus substitute fish for the cleaner... its not a matter of him being angry at a shrimp, he jus had to take his aggression out and the poor cleaner was the victim... likely the other cleaner will he next, then the rest of ur fish after that... people can deny it all they want, it is the inevitable... its what big sohals in captivity do...

Gogandantess
04/08/2011, 11:16 PM
What are the dimensions of the 250 gallon? Everyone's saying that's pretty small, but imo that's a fairly large tank. I think the issue may be all the other tank mates causing some stress.

Everyone that's saying it knows from experience though. They've seen what kind of damage these fish can do. There's a reason why they're called the "Meanest Tang".

Hey Sanchoy can you post pics of your tank and fish? Loved to see them especially the horseshoe(Fowleri) tang.

jjk_reef00
04/08/2011, 11:48 PM
+1 for pics!
Keep a very close eye on your sohal, and be prepared to remove him if necessary. A 240 is not a lot of room for a 10" sohal. Hopefully he will give you warning signs by disperse his aggression among several fish instead of killing them one by one...

SaltwaterAdict
04/09/2011, 01:33 AM
There always another choice he can do...can you say upgrade! ;)

How big of a tank is adequate for a sohal longterm? These fish like clown tang do get pretty massive and probably do need a bigger tank. Is 10in a full grown adult sohal or do they get bigger?

hpfunk
04/09/2011, 01:41 AM
+1 How big of a tank is adequate for a sohal longterm?

Two feet in the wild!!!! wow that's big

SaltwaterAdict
04/09/2011, 01:43 AM
Two feet in the wild!!!!

Wow, I knew they got big, but not that big! :eek2: Gorgeous fish.

Recty
04/09/2011, 01:44 AM
There always another choice he can do...can you say upgrade! ;)

How big of a tank is adequate for a sohal longterm? These fish like clown tang do get pretty massive and probably do need a bigger tank. Is 10in a full grown adult sohal or do they get bigger?Sohal's reach around 2' in the wild, I'd say in captivity given time they will easily reach 75% of that, somewhere between a foot and a foot and a half. 10" would not be what I would call maximum size in an aquarium.

hpfunk
04/09/2011, 01:46 AM
I'm sorry, Foster & Smith say 1'4" and a min of 250gal and that it is aggressive

snorvich
04/09/2011, 04:49 AM
Well, as to what size will work, I have a friend with one in a 1000 gallon tank which so far is working but I am less than certain that it will be stable even in that sized tank. But a 250 gallon tank is not a large tank when you are talking about fish that exceed one foot. But I suspect that the original poster will find out about this the hard way.

laf-reef
04/09/2011, 05:53 AM
The title of this thread is "Sohal tang snapped again!!!!"..... So this is not the first time? What else has this fish done when it "snapped" previously? As posted by others, this latest event is a sign of things to come....

SaltwaterAdict
04/09/2011, 06:23 AM
Well, as to what size will work, I have a friend with one in a 1000 gallon tank which so far is working but I am less than certain that it will be stable even in that sized tank. But a 250 gallon tank is not a large tank when you are talking about fish that exceed one foot. But I suspect that the original poster will find out about this the hard way.

No offense but are u really suggesting someone would need a tank larger than a 1000g. A tank that size is like the ocean to many reefers! come on now..

john rochon
04/09/2011, 06:48 AM
I had a SOHAL in my 500g tank. Had to remove it. not big enough. I had very few fish in there but these fish need room and are ''extremely'' mean in time.
Honestly better left in the ocean.

Eric the half-bee
04/09/2011, 06:54 AM
No offense but are u really suggesting someone would need a tank larger than a 1000g. A tank that size is like the ocean to many reefers! come on now..

Yes it is like a personal ocean. Evidence that some fish need more space than many hobbyists can afford. Trust in what snorvich is saying. I had a vlamingii in my 400 for about 3 years and he got so big so fast, I felt it unfair to continue to keep him in what I thought initially was big enough but in the end, was not. JME

snorvich
04/09/2011, 06:56 AM

I am suggesting not keeping the fish unless you have a large tank and a 250 gallon tank is NOT large.

snorvich
04/09/2011, 06:58 AM
Yes it is like a personal ocean. Evidence that some fish need more space than many hobbyists can afford. Trust in what snorvich is saying. I had a vlamingii in my 400 for about 3 years and he got so big so fast, I felt it unfair to continue to keep him in what I thought initially was big enough but in the end, was not. JME

Yes, Vlamingi tangs are perhaps my favorite fish, but I would never consider one for my 350 gallon tank. Sohals are ultra aggressive when maturing, vlamingi are gentle giants.

Eric the half-bee
04/09/2011, 07:04 AM
True snorvich. He was a gentle fish and I loved him but when he could "kick" his fins and be across the tank in 2 seconds, I knew he needed a bigger home.

sanchoy
04/09/2011, 09:25 AM
Sohal tang history for me:

-rescued him from a another reefers 20 gallon display tank 3 years ago, he was about 2-3 inches
-In the past, he was known to dominate my tank, by chasing other fish around. Never really killed anything, but just bullied others to show he was the big boss.
-For a Sohal, people that seen my tank say he gets along well with other tangs. Again i have many other tangs in my reef.
-when i say SNAPPED it means he goes on weird behavior episodes, Sometimes he will be calm, other times he just goes into this crazy mode and start bullying other fish around.
-People say 250 gallons is small, and possibly it may be to the eyes of the beholder.

Thanks for the info from people who actually had personal experience with this tang before and not what they heard or saw on the internet forums.

-Maybe i should free him into the ocean? but he does not belong in this region. He is from the Red Sea not South East Asia.

sjwitt
04/09/2011, 09:35 AM
I don't think anything that has been kept out of the ocean should be released back into the ocean. That said, is there a public aquarium near you that would be able to house such a beautiful specimen?

Oh, and +1 on the pictures... please?

MrTuskfish
04/09/2011, 09:54 AM
IMO & IME tank size, diet, tankmates, etc., are all really secondary This is simply one of the toughest, meanest fish we keep. Mine gets respect, or the offender pays. I love what BZ says about Sohals: "Wide berth should be given to this Red Sea inhabitant as itís aggression extends from the tangs to Parrotfishes, Triggerfishes and whatever else it may feel particularly displeased with." (Due credit to Kirkaz.)

denash24
04/09/2011, 10:04 AM
Removed.

davocean
04/09/2011, 10:22 AM
I don't think anyone is really bagging on him as much as just setting it straight that these are very different in nature compared to most tangs, and that aggression or snapping will most likely increase w/ time, so it's a good idea to keep in mind an adjustment of some kind may be needed in the not too distant future.
When I got mine I assumed it's small size would make it ok in my 180g, until I actually witnessed it's behavior, which was like something going crazy from too little of space.
I rehomed mine right away to a 300g, and that person said it was a bully and aggro in that tank too.
Some people donate to public aquariums, when OP's sohal gets too out of hand that may be something to consider.

rigleautomotive
04/09/2011, 10:34 AM
I had a sohol in a 180 for a year or 2 before it went ballistic.First swimming from end to end at warp speeds then crashing into acros snapping large branches daily.Terrible fish for a heavily stocked reef but I have seen them in tanks where there were only a few fish and they were model citizens.A chinese restraunt in my area had one for years in a live rock tank with 2 other tangs and it was mellow as can be.Hand fed and huge just slowly cruising the tank with no aggression.Maybe they just need to be kept in a very low population tank rather then a huge one.GL

snorvich
04/09/2011, 10:40 AM
The OP asked about peoples experience with sohal behavior not for theto criticize the size of his tank and his decision to keep the tang. Koodos to you for providing an environment for the tang that allowed it to grow from 3" to 10", I doubt any of the tank size experts that posted here would be able to achieve that.

And you know this how?

MItank
04/09/2011, 11:03 AM
Removed.

SaltwaterAdict
04/09/2011, 11:04 AM
I would play it by ear and see how everything goes. If the tang continues and it gets worse then maybe relocating him or upgrading would be a good idea.

SaltwaterAdict
04/09/2011, 11:11 AM
Is the temperament of this fish usually aggressive as he gets older?

snorvich
04/09/2011, 11:19 AM
Is the temperament of this fish usually aggressive as he gets older?

The temperament of this fish is progressively aggressive even in very large tanks (unfortunately).

sanchoy
04/09/2011, 11:58 AM
Heres a few photos.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j451/tangthai1/IMG_22791.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j451/tangthai1/IMG_22731.jpg

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j451/tangthai1/IMG_22811.jpg

Flippers4pups
04/09/2011, 12:34 PM
I hate to say this, but this species and many others need to be kept out of the hobby aquarium trade. It's just too cruel to keep them in a tank in our homes or even in public aquariums unless they are massive, around 5000 gals. They're many small species of fish to chose from that don't mind being in small environments and live relatively long lives, for us to overlook those species for these species that just don't belong in the hobby.

Responsible reef keeping also means for us to not select these species from irresponsible LFS's, who really don't care about these animals in the first place, who orders them for sale to the general public to buy without consequences, while in turn the animal suffers.

Trying to justify keeping one of these unsuitable species is just not sound logic. IMHO.

Research, research and research any species of aquatic marine life before buying and please don't buy it because it's "good looking", because of it's color and because there's a cartoon made that has one in it.:crazy1:

Thank you for reading my rant.

snorvich
04/09/2011, 01:24 PM
I hate to say this, but this species and many others need to be kept out of the hobby aquarium trade. It's just too cruel to keep them in a tank in our homes or even in public aquariums unless they are massive, around 5000 gals. They're many small species of fish to chose from that don't mind being in small environments and live relatively long lives, for us to overlook those species for these species that just don't belong in the hobby.

Responsible reef keeping also means for us to not select these species from irresponsible LFS's, who really don't care about these animals in the first place, who orders them for sale to the general public to buy without consequences, while in turn the animal suffers.

Trying to justify keeping one of these unsuitable species is just not sound logic. IMHO.

Research, research and research any species of aquatic marine life before buying and please don't buy it because it's "good looking", because of it's color and because there's a cartoon made that has one in it.:crazy1:

Thank you for reading my rant.

I totally agree and it is why I take such a "hard line" on keeping fish that we just should not keep.

BrianD
04/09/2011, 01:35 PM
Since the preferred method of responding to those who are realistic in their stocking practices is through pejoratives (i.e. "tang police"), and the original poster doesn't believe tank size is relevant to his issue, I don't see any reason for this thread to continue.