PDA

View Full Version : New flasher coming - Should I use an acclimation box?

small alien
04/08/2011, 10:04 AM
I have a flasher wrasse coming from DD today. :celeb3: Given my fish list below (and excusing my over-stocking if you will), do you think it is necessary to keep the little guy in an acclimation box? If so, for how long?

Thanks!...the small one

snorvich
04/08/2011, 12:08 PM
I have a flasher wrasse coming from DD today. :celeb3: Given my fish list below (and excusing my over-stocking if you will), do you think it is necessary to keep the little guy in an acclimation box? If so, for how long?

Thanks!...the small one

The only issue I see long term is the firefish which may be intimidated by a flasher wrasse. Short term I see no issues. However using an acclimation box can never hurt. You will know quickly if there is an issue. :twitch:

small alien
04/08/2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks, Steve. My purple firefish is pretty spunky but that is the one fish I'm concerned about in that regard.

For introduction, I was more worried about the other wrasses. Bags are in my sump right now so I've got about 15 minutes to decide. ;)

Thanks again.

snorvich
04/08/2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks, Steve. My purple firefish is pretty spunky but that is the one fish I'm concerned about in that regard.

For introduction, I was more worried about the other wrasses. Bags are in my sump right now so I've got about 15 minutes to decide. ;)

Thanks again.

Use the acclimation box, it simply cannot hurt. You will be able to tell very quickly but I doubt there is an issue.

small alien
04/11/2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks. I didn't use it because, well, I just didn't. I was acclimating two other small fish, so it was just easier and I figured the risk of serious issue was quite low.

The male meleagris gave a couple quick chases when it saw the flasher, but not too serious. No where near the chasing it did with the female when they were sorting out the sex thing. The flasher went into the rock work and I figured I would see it swimming around in the morning.

As you may have guessed from my tone, I found the flasher dead in the morning. I tend to think over-all stress was the culprit. Dang. I feel badly about this one. Such a pretty little fish. Ugh.

C0rp
04/11/2011, 10:39 AM
That's why you quarantine. You have 17 fish in a 75? If I was a flasher wrasse the last thing I would want, would to be thrown into an overpopulated tank right after shipping.

small alien
04/11/2011, 10:54 AM
I appreciate that sentiment and I get that. I think that, in some cases, you can make a reasoned case for direct addition to the DT, especially with fish from Divers Den. I have successfully added a good number of fish from them directly to the tank. Were I to try another, I would probably QT or at least use an acclimation box.:worried2: I was over-confident.

C0rp
04/11/2011, 04:12 PM
I have a DD wrasse in QT right now. He will remain there until his lymphocystis goes away (sigh). He also came with worms as he was pooping white strings when I got him.

small alien
04/12/2011, 03:29 PM
Hey COrp, I appreciate you weighing in. I know I said to excuse my over-stocking but that was just to help that not be the issue discussed. My tank is healthy and all my fish have their territories. It's a very peaceful tank. Further, many of the fish are very small. Number of fish is not how you judge stocking levels. There are too many variables there. I appreciate your help but not your judgmental language. I already acknowledged I made a mistake.

Thanks.

mrwilson
04/12/2011, 09:03 PM
I tend to think that using an acclimation box is virtually always a good idea (with exceptions for sand-burrowing fish or fish like dragonets that need to hunt pods in the rockwork right away). I recently purchased a large acclimation box, and it has really been great: essentially the "initial harassment" that often goes away in a couple days (in my case, most often from my bicolor anthias or my potters' angel) now is completely neutralized.

(By the way, anyone who frequents this board knows well that small alien is a thoughtful and conscientious reefer - witness, for example, the relative success with the OSFF pair. Nobody's perfect.)

small alien
04/12/2011, 10:25 PM
Awe, thanks. :) Hopefully some people including me will learn a little lesson. Essentially, I made up reasons in my mind to support what I wanted to be true. And hopefully this thread won't stay on the front page much longer. :worried:

snorvich
04/13/2011, 04:44 AM
(By the way, anyone who frequents this board knows well that small alien is a thoughtful and conscientious reefer - witness, for example, the relative success with the OSFF pair. Nobody's perfect.)

I endorse this point of view with regard to Paul.