PDA

View Full Version : Not seeing feeding tentacles on acans.

lcs
04/08/2011, 11:23 AM
I have two mini colonies of acans; one purple/green and the other red/gray. I have had both for just under a year. The purple has grown a couple new babies and the red nothing and I never see their feeding tentacles. After lights out the polyps close right up. In the past week I started target feeding them, alternating between Rod’s, mysis, and OysterFeast. I’ve fed during the day and about an hour after lights out even if I don’t see feeding tentacles in the hope that they will at least get some.

Any ideas as to why? Should I check later in the evening?

They are on the bottom of a 24” deep tank under 96 watts of T5 lighting. Maybe I should move them up?

firsttank
04/08/2011, 12:36 PM
How is your chemistry holding up? Specially ALK. Also try a different place on the sand bad before raising it up. My 0.02 I hope it helps.

lcs
04/08/2011, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the input!

My alk stays between 8.0-8.3 (Salifert), Mg 1290-1320, NO3 0, PO4 don't know.

I'll try moving them again. Unfortunately, open sandbed space is limited due to rocks and an industrious yellow watchman goby :spin2:.

mtaswt
04/08/2011, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the input!

My alk stays between 8.0-8.3 (Salifert), Mg 1290-1320, NO3 0, PO4 don't know.

I'll try moving them again. Unfortunately, open sandbed space is limited due to rocks and an industrious yellow watchman goby :spin2:.

try raising the alk up to 9-10ish.......my lps LOVE higher alk

BamBam17
04/09/2011, 01:27 PM
I also have acans in a 24" deep tank, but have them on a rock about 10" from the top (4-lamp T5-HO). I feed mysis 2-3 times per week and they seem to love it. Took a quick peek and I'd guess that they've doubled in 2 months...yours doing well on the sand? I probably wouldnt move mine since it's doing well...always thought it was too low since it's such a deep tank...?

lcs
04/10/2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks BamBam! Your tank depth/lighting sounds close to, if not the same as mine. I do have some places that might work higher up. I'll give the higher alk a try for a few weeks and then try moving them. In the mean time I'll keep feeding them a 2-3 times a week.

philosophile
04/10/2011, 06:12 PM
I'm having the same problem with one of my acan colonies.... I have a sneaking suspicion its high phosphates. My duncans haven't been opening up as wide either.

You might want to do a good water change and run some phosguard or GFO.

incloud
09/20/2013, 08:41 PM
My acans never put out feeding tentacles and unless the lights are on, close up and look like stones. My levels are all point on and I have 168 watt leds over a 65 gallon tank. I run gfo and carbon. Run kalk through my Tunze ATO and have a 36 watt UV Sterilizer. I keep adding equipment to help and see no difference in corals. But I certainly have very little algae.