PDA

View Full Version : plywood tanks???

fanning
04/08/2011, 07:34 PM
can someone please explain to me the concept and pro and cons of a plywood tank...im looking for a basic idea of how to build it and why someone would build a tank that u can only view from the front(maybe an in-wall build would make more sence) but other than that im struggling with the concept of this...is it just a cheapper way to build?

Mouse
04/08/2011, 08:32 PM
Size is usually the factor with Plywood tanks. After 250/300 gallons the price is insane, add that to an in wall build and plywood becomes a great option.

iamwrasseman
04/08/2011, 08:46 PM
plywood tanks are very labor intensive and the construction of them needs to be very well planned and executed . they also do end up costing considerably more to build than most people would think . IMO if you are building a tank of massive size then you may want to opt for months of work to build one and will be at 2/3 of the cost from the builds that i have seen . not to rain on your parade but plywood is used for building houses and glass is used for aquariums in 99% of the cases .one mistake in the plywood build can be catastrophic and there is no guarentee with a diy project . if one has the money to support and maintain a tank of this magnitude then i would simply have it made of glass . just my 2 pennies

scchase
04/08/2011, 08:58 PM
I love my plywood. Took me around 3 months to complete and cost around $700 half of that was the glass but to be cost effective they need to be big mine is 480g and fit for a custom space. The quoted cost to have a tank built for the space was around 10k. The other major thing is if you arent handy with tools don't even think about it. I am a carpenter/maintenance man for a living so used to the process from start to finish.

fanning
04/09/2011, 07:12 AM
thanks for the input..im going to need alot more info before i even consider taking on something like this..SCCHASE would u mind posting a couple pics of your tank(not even sure if ive seen one before...lol) im relitively handy with tools so i dont think that would be an issue...are there any sites or anything specific i can google to get to learn how to build one