PDA

View Full Version : Little help please

OceanLandlord
04/09/2011, 04:23 PM
Just started haveing a problem with my ocean reef +1 unit. Up until recently the unit has been working flawlessly and has produced about 500 gallons of top off water for me since the 6 months I've had it. Now the 75 GPD unit is makeing about 5 gallons a day. There is a continuous stream of water going out the waste side while drops coming out of the finished side. Could this be a clogged membrane problem? Please advise.
Thanks, Jeff Jarvinen

Thefilterguys
04/10/2011, 05:28 PM
My first guess would be reduced pressure caused by clogged filters and sounds typical of chloramine as a disinfectant. I'm not sure that is what you municipal water plant is using but would be a good guess on my part. Chloramine breaks down carbon much faster then chlorine and is not unusual to see filter clogs at the 6 month point. Give me a reading from your pressure gauge and call your municiapl water supplier to see what they are using for disinfectant?

Jim

OceanLandlord
04/10/2011, 09:34 PM
pressure gage reads about 0, not sure on chloramines. What do you think I need to fix the problem?

Thefilterguys
04/10/2011, 10:36 PM
Change the three filter across the bottom not sure where your at on DI. Your DI should always produce zero tds and changed at a reading of no higher then 2-3.

I just looked up Your municipal water report and as I suspected you have chloramines if you were unsure. I recommend the chloramine carbon block package.

http://thefilterguys.biz/chloramine_filters.htm

$53.00 - CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PLUS DI

Jim

OceanLandlord
04/11/2011, 08:54 AM
I think my DI is still good, still getting 0 out and 120-140 in.

Is this the one I would want then?

$36.00 - ULTRA CHLORAMINE PACKAGE

and do you think my membrane is still ok?

Thefilterguys
04/11/2011, 09:45 AM
Ok your DI sounds fine, but you might want to check and see how much tan color you have running toward the top, and I think you membrane may be fine. Here is the filter set you want both carbon blocks. Once you change filters open you flush valve for ten minutes and flush the membrane. Don't leave it unattended, or set a timer, or you may surely forget it is open. The flush is because your membrane has run under low pressure down to zero.

$34.00 - CARBON BLOCK CHLORAMINE PACKAGE

Jim

Harry_Y
04/12/2011, 01:35 PM
Wrong thread

OceanLandlord
04/14/2011, 08:35 PM
Ordered, Thanks for the help.
Jeff