PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas on quarantine in this situation?

pelfiredc
04/09/2011, 10:00 PM
Hey there all... kinda new to the reef bit but have had fish for 6 yrs. small 30gal with 3 false percs and a yellow tang... Set up a 56 gallon with live rock and such 5 months ago and cycled the heck out of it all chems are great ect...... here is the question! Put the 3 perculas in the reef tank and great....but the tang I wanted alone (last in and will be most aggressive possibly)till I got the other fish, wanted to get gobypistol pair, fire fish, dwarf flame angel all at the same time with a few additions to the CUC and save on shipping, but no where to really quarantine without moving tang to "DT" (never catch in there):bounce2:. Dont want to set up a 3rd tank and have a nice setup in the 30 with rock and sand some shrooms.... not really a QT due to sand bed? Any bright ideas???? Thanks

SuperNemo
04/09/2011, 10:43 PM
i had something similar to your problem. use egg crate to divide up the 56G tank and put the tang in there. it should be okay to limit its space for a while.

QT new fish in 30G. put them in the DT after QT and wait a week or two and release the tang.

duncantse
04/09/2011, 10:47 PM
yah, put a divider in your dt and put your tang there.

Whisperer
04/10/2011, 06:51 AM
If I understand this correctly, you wanted to add the tang last because it is aggressive. How would an eggcrate help if the tang is already in the DT and is able to see the other side? IME, aggression towards the new additions is very common except when the new fish is bigger. The newcomer are often accepted if they survive the next few days. Lack of interest in food while hiding is a bad sign. If they attempt to snag a drifting food, they have a fair chance. Expect a few nipped fins. You can get a used 20g tank for QT. You do not want to introduce parasites in the DT and potentially lose more than the price of the QT.

wrathofgod4
04/10/2011, 09:30 AM
Sometimes rearrange the tank iv been told that this makes the fish think they are in a new place and won't be so aggressive to new tankmates

Sk8r
04/10/2011, 09:35 AM
Divide the tank: the big issue is oxygenation, with a tang, and the greater water volume will reassure him. They get panicky and hyper-aggressive when feeling crowded, particularly, with too little room and too many inhabitants. The same tang with plenty of room (and consequently plenty of oxygen) will be calm and peaceful.

dkanka
04/10/2011, 09:38 AM
The tang police are going to go crazy when they find out you had a yellow tang in a 30g and are only upgrading to a 56.

almostazoo
04/10/2011, 09:48 AM
The tang police are going to go crazy when they find out you had a yellow tang in a 30g and are only upgrading to a 56.

yup PETT(people for the ethical treatment of Tangs) is on the way to his house right now...

pelfiredc
04/10/2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks guys....I think that I will put the Tang in a 10 gal tank and use the 30 for the QT! JUST KIDDING!!! I appreciate all the input! I will try the eggcrate for the week or so. Sk8r read all your stickies.... great stuff.... O2 and turnover not a prob I think, have a vortec running and a filter running set for a 100 gallon! Worse comes to worse I could train him at high altitudes....lol. Is turning him loose an option and then adding the others? Just read that they can get agressive. Never had him back the 3 clowns down so ....... Thanks again all!!!!!!!!!!!!!