PDA

View Full Version : how to get algae off of corals

Krenshaw22
04/10/2011, 08:03 AM
OK I'm in the process of getting rid of algae and was wondering how can I get algae off of the bottom of my monti pora corals and and off the bases of my other corals. Could I dip them in something to kill it or a dip method

maroun.c
04/10/2011, 08:10 AM
Scrubbing them using a toothbrush could solve it.
What type of Alga is it? Any fish outthere that might consume it might do.

somethingphishy
04/10/2011, 09:28 AM
carefully scrubbing with a tooth brush/add some snails or crabs/attack the source

Krenshaw22
04/10/2011, 04:58 PM
OK thanks for the help

Pinchy
04/10/2011, 05:19 PM
Havent used a toothbrush before that would probably work well. I would definalty sugest some crabs though.. Good Luck

israel.kendall
04/10/2011, 05:24 PM
Some people don't like to put crabs in their tanks, but every time I put a frag with algae growing on the base in my tank my mithrax crabs make short work of it. LFS guys always want to clean them up before giving them to me, but I don't let them, my crabs need a treat every now and then.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Krenshaw22
04/11/2011, 11:28 AM
On the mithrax crabs are you talking about emerald crabs or the others that you find hitchicking. But it is a mix of bryopsis and and hair algae.

nano51
04/11/2011, 11:42 AM
I just know that only the scarlet crab in my tank will clean up hair algae, and not any other hermit crabs that I have in my tank. Hope it helps.

Krenshaw22
04/11/2011, 11:51 AM
When I had my two scarlets I never noticed if they ate it. I could be wrong though.

israel.kendall
04/11/2011, 11:56 AM
On the mithrax crabs are you talking about emerald crabs or the others that you find hitchicking. But it is a mix of bryopsis and and hair algae.

Red mithrax and emerald. I'm not sure on the exact species of algae they are eating though. I only have one type of algae in my tank that nothing seems to eat and its a short, soft, flowy little green tuft. The longer scraggly type that I often see on frag plugs is quickly devoured.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Krenshaw22
04/11/2011, 12:00 PM
My friend has a emerald she doesn't want so ill get with her and see if I can borrow it and give the little crab a try. Thanks for the help irael

reeftivo
04/11/2011, 05:18 PM

Bryopsis is brutal.

Only success for me in the past has been lettuce nudi's, sea hares (hit/miss then starve) and high Mg.