PDA

View Full Version : Large angels?

Tat2demon
04/10/2011, 12:00 PM
Any personal experience with large (non-centropyge) angels in the reef? I'm looking for possible candidates for a mostly SPS tank with some zoas/rics.

Ive spent hours upon hours looking online but it seems each website has conflicting information with whats reef safe or not. Some websites conflicting with itself.

Thanks

Rebel
04/10/2011, 12:11 PM
Pick an angel or two and do a search on RC by its scientific and common name. There is a ton of info/experience, and lots of people who have had success amidst those who have not been so lucky. I have a regal in my mixed, but mostly sps, reef. But 1) though it is not centropyge, it is not too large either, and 2) it has not been in there long enough (1.5 months) to give you any real reflection.

snorvich
04/10/2011, 12:12 PM
Any personal experience with large (non-centropyge) angels in the reef? I'm looking for possible candidates for a mostly SPS tank with some zoas/rics.

Ive spent hours upon hours looking online but it seems each website has conflicting information with whats reef safe or not. Some websites conflicting with itself.

Thanks

I have three: Scribbled, Blue Faced, Emperor. zoanthids are likely to be toast or any soft LPS type coral. The larger the tank, the more successful you will be (in my opinion) and in fact I wish the tank I am keeping them in was larger.

jjk_reef00
04/10/2011, 12:55 PM
You will not be able to keep zoas, other corals are hit or miss depending on the individual fish.

Tat2demon
04/10/2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys.

in fact I wish the tank I am keeping them in was larger.

Isnt that always the case? :)

I just have my 75 right now but I'm trying to get a list together for my either 180 or 8' 240 upgrade. We are moving either this summer or early fall so Ill finally be able to upgrade. I'm hoping to have the tank and gear ready before the move so when moving day comes I can tear down my 75 and put it all right into the new tank on moving day.

If an angel is introduced to tank with a decent amount of zoas, is there any fear of a large release of palytoxins when it starts munching?

iLLwiLL
04/10/2011, 05:13 PM
I have a majestic in my 180 and the only thing he has nipped on was candy canes, everything else (including zoas) have been safe so far. I have mostly stinging LPS, leathers and anemones.

~Will.

Gary Majchrzak
04/10/2011, 05:20 PM
really?

jd474
04/10/2011, 06:34 PM
really?

:spin3:

cvye
04/11/2011, 12:29 PM
Large emperor in my 180 is a model citizen. Wish he would actually go after the zoanthids! Thinking about giving him up, as he's getting too large. Any interest in New England? He needs something bigger than 2 x 6...

wakeboardgeek
04/11/2011, 01:02 PM
Large emperor in my 180 is a model citizen. Wish he would actually go after the zoanthids! Thinking about giving him up, as he's getting too large. Any interest in New England? He needs something bigger than 2 x 6...

Too bad my 225 isn't ready...I'd love to pair my juv emperor.

So far I've had great success with my juv (changing) emperor. I don't have any rics or zoas though.