PDA

View Full Version : Live rock quality

Fish Hawk
04/11/2011, 04:07 PM
Back to the hobby after a 10 year break and ordered a box of base rock and a box (45#) of Fiji "premium" recently from Liveaquaria. The rock was shipped overnight and put in my 75g. The premium rock looked decent shape wise and was packed well but had very little noticable coralline coverage. I shook each piece in a bucket of saltwater with a light scrubbing and after all the rock was placed in the tank and the dust settled in the bucket, I checked the bucket hoping to find some creatures of some sort. I noticed maybe 3 very tiny worms. The tank has been set up 7 days now and I've yet to see any life at all. I would at least expect to see a few pods climbing around. I know the water is toxic from cycling and the majority of life has retreated inside rock but shouldn't I at least see something by now? I've checked at night with a flashlight as well.

I remember the rock I put in years ago was teeming with life right off the bat. Do you think the batch was bad, not transported properly, or from a bad supplier? Or is the quality of the live rock these days not the same as it was a while back? Maybe I'm lacking in experience and this is normal?

Thanks for any feedback...