PDA

View Full Version : Removing a 3mo old DSB.... advice?

erikras
04/11/2011, 07:37 PM
When I originally set up my 84gal FOWLR at the end of January, I never planned to have a sump. My stand did not allow for one. Well now I'm in the process of setting up a sump in the basement. I'd much rather have the DSB in the refugium of the sump than the DT. The current DSB in the DT consists of 4-5" of fine (oolite) araganite sand.

I've read horror stories about disturbing DSB's. What are the odds of me wiping out my tank if I begin to scoop out the sand. I plan to leave ~1-2" in the bottom to cover the eggcrate that my rock is resting on. The only live stock in the tank right now are 2 Blue Damsels, 4 hermit crabs, and 5 turbo snails. I have two new clowns in my QT that won't be ready to be transferred to the DT until after the sump is finished.

I found some useful information in this thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1983606&highlight=remove+deep+sand+bed). My real question is, how much hydrogen sulfide (if any) has probably built up in only three months?

Thanks!

Agu
04/11/2011, 08:44 PM
In only three months you shouldn't have an issue with a polluted sand bed.

Easiest way to remove it is to use a 5/8 inch or larger siphon tube and just siphon it out of your tank while doing water changes.

erikras
04/12/2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Anything wrong with scooping some of it out? I think siphoning would take quite a while and I'd like to use the sand I remove in my refugium once the sump is up and running. I'd be worried about storing sand in buckets for any period of time as I slowly remove it. I'd rather just do it all in one shot.

Thanks!

Red_Blenny
04/12/2011, 12:23 PM
3 month old DSB is still too young. Siphon is a easier way to get the sand out than scooping it (smaller sand storm) and there won't be much live stuff in your sand anyways since it's 3 month old so you won't have to worry about another mini-cycle when you take it out