PDA

View Full Version : Tang help

Allmost
04/12/2011, 08:22 AM
hello all,
so a friends 220 just finished cycling, and I want to give him my blue and yellow tang.

he also wants a purple tang, NAso tang, and in near future a anchilles tang.

from my understanding, yellow and purple will give each other hard time most likely, so I am assuming they should be added at same time ?

what is the best way to introduce all the fish ? yellow and purple and blue now ? and then naso in a couple of weeks and then the anchilles ?

thanks.

Toddrtrex
04/12/2011, 08:30 AM
Are you taking about an Naso elegans/lituratus? "Naso" is the genus. Personally, I wouldn't put one in a 220, but that is me.

I would be worried about putting an Achilles in such a new tank -- they have a horrible track record. I would put the yellow and purple in after the Achilles, so that the Achilles can get settled in without any fighting from other tangs.

acrohead500ppm
04/12/2011, 08:33 AM
are you taking about an naso elegans/lituratus? "naso" is the genus. Personally, i wouldn't put one in a 220, but that is me.

I would be worried about putting an achilles in such a new tank -- they have a horrible track record. I would put the yellow and purple in after the achilles, so that the achilles can get settled in without any fighting from other tangs.

+1

Allmost
04/12/2011, 08:37 AM
Are you taking about an Naso elegans/lituratus? "Naso" is the genus. Personally, I wouldn't put one in a 220, but that is me.

I would be worried about putting an Achilles in such a new tank -- they have a horrible track record. I would put the yellow and purple in after the Achilles, so that the Achilles can get settled in without any fighting from other tangs.

anchilles will come after 7 months, when the tank is in a better biological stage. so I can feed it more and ....

my question is mainly with regards to yellow and purple ones. worried if I add the yellow and blue tang now, I wouldnt be able to add a purple one in 3 weeks.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 08:38 AM
ok lets forget about anchilles.

lets forget about tank size :)

purple tang and yellow tang, do they need to go in at same time ?

thanks,

TampaReefer79
04/12/2011, 08:53 AM

thanks,

You can't 'forget' about the first 2 aspects, they need to be in the equation to acurately answer your question.

IE: In a 5,000 gallon tank, no, they wouldn't need to go in at the same time.

As Todd said, I wouldn't put a naso in a 220 gallon tank. I wouldn't even put one in my 500 gallon tank. They get HUGE. And when that happens, what will he do then? I also agree about the achilles going in much much later when the tank is stable. The only thing I might do different is put the yellow/purple in before the achilles. If the fish are the same size, the newly introduced achilles will be ok with holding its own against a yellow...but I see the point about letting it aclimate. (which is why qt is so important...get it eating and established to aquarium life in qt). All that said, in a 220, a purple and a yellow together might not work out anyhow.

A yellow tang, purple tang, naso tang, achilles tang, and a blue tang are to much for such a small tank.

Toddrtrex
04/12/2011, 08:55 AM

thanks,

Then lets forget that I posted in this thread in the first place. You can't pretend that tank size and other tank members don't matter.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 09:11 AM
Then lets forget that I posted in this thread in the first place. You can't pretend that tank size and other tank members don't matter.

ok :D I will forget you posted :)
no problem.

thanks for your helpful comments.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 09:14 AM
You can't 'forget' about the first 2 aspects, they need to be in the equation to acurately answer your question.

IE: In a 5,000 gallon tank, no, they wouldn't need to go in at the same time.

As Todd said, I wouldn't put a naso in a 220 gallon tank. I wouldn't even put one in my 500 gallon tank. They get HUGE. And when that happens, what will he do then? I also agree about the achilles going in much much later when the tank is stable. The only thing I might do different is put the yellow/purple in before the achilles. If the fish are the same size, the newly introduced achilles will be ok with holding its own against a yellow...but I see the point about letting it aclimate. (which is why qt is so important...get it eating and established to aquarium life in qt). All that said, in a 220, a purple and a yellow together might not work out anyhow.

A yellow tang, purple tang, naso tang, achilles tang, and a blue tang are to much for such a small tank.

thanks, yea seems like that the best option ... I will put the yellow and purple and blue in first this week, and the anchilles in about 7-8 months..

he has a 300 Gallon QT (only QT LOL ) inthe basement, no Issues there, and all the fish are already in QT lol

there is also a 700 round tank in the basement, which is FOWLR, dedicated for fish that get too big :)

we really shouldnt expect everyone who asks questions to be a new reefer with no money, honestly ! this guy has over 2K gallons of water in his basement alone ! so its always good to try to be helpful :) not EVERYone who posts is irresponsible ! I hope you agree to that !

with regards to NAso, I personally do not like them that much :P haha, so gonna try to convince him to send it directly to FOWLR tank for cleaning up algae ISsues there.

thanks again guys, lets keep our View open, and help others in the way we can, instead of "TRYING" to put them down and fail on the way

john rochon
04/12/2011, 10:06 AM
In the 220g I would add the yellow and purple together, also that would be it for tangs for me.

TampaReefer79
04/12/2011, 10:41 AM
thanks, yea seems like that the best option ... I will put the yellow and purple and blue in first this week, and the anchilles in about 7-8 months..

he has a 300 Gallon QT (only QT LOL ) inthe basement, no Issues there, and all the fish are already in QT lol

there is also a 700 round tank in the basement, which is FOWLR, dedicated for fish that get too big :)

we really shouldnt expect everyone who asks questions to be a new reefer with no money, honestly ! this guy has over 2K gallons of water in his basement alone ! so its always good to try to be helpful :) not EVERYone who posts is irresponsible ! I hope you agree to that !

with regards to NAso, I personally do not like them that much :P haha, so gonna try to convince him to send it directly to FOWLR tank for cleaning up algae ISsues there.

thanks again guys, lets keep our View open, and help others in the way we can, instead of "TRYING" to put them down and fail on the way

Ok, I guess I forgot to mention this in my original post, but it's a bad idea to add 3 tangs to a tank that is a week old. It's a bad idea to add ONE tang to a one week old tank.

I don't care how much $$ someone has. The amount of knowledge one has can be sometimes ascertained by the questions asked themselves.

If the guy has 2,000 gallons of water in the basement (divided up amongst different tanks of course), then why is he trying to shoehorn so many tangs in a 200 gallon tank? And the 700 is even going to be too small for a naso. JMO.

And I don't know who you're referring to, but no one tried to 'put anyone down and failed on the way'. We all posted on the details given. You reluctantly forgot to add the other details of 'thousands of gallons in the basement'. Either way, the OP was about a 200 gallon tank and all of the advice was sound.

Palting
04/12/2011, 10:47 AM
Bad boy with 4 tangs, including a blue and a naso in a 150 gal here :D.

Purple and yellow should go in together. The blue looks different enough that the purple won't mind. I added the blue last among my tangs. Naso can go in anytime. He is the most peaceful among my tangs, and large enough no one messes with him.

My daughter just came back from a HS trip to Disneyworld and that fish place. The tangs, including the Naso's there were bigger than her head!!

Allmost
04/12/2011, 10:50 AM
Ok, I guess I forgot to mention this in my original post, but it's a bad idea to add 3 tangs to a tank that is a week old. It's a bad idea to add ONE tang to a one week old tank.

I will have to stop you here ! please read my original post again. the tank is fully cycled and has been set up for 9 weeks now. (has been cycling for 9 weeks, not 1 week !!! not sure where you got that from, perhaps another try to put me down which failed at again :) )

Please read more carefully. thanks.

about why he wants to add these tangs to a 200 Gallon tank ?
this is going to be a SPS tank, and the fish list I posted above is the guys "dream fish list"

thank you.

"I don't care how much $$ someone has. The amount of knowledge one has can be sometimes ascertained by the questions asked themselves."

sorry, I wanted others opinions on purple and yellow tang being added together at the same time :) I do not see any problem with asking others for their openion and experience, it may teach me more after 20 years of reefing :) if you think asking question makes you look bad, you need to ....I like sharing info, knowledge and experience.

anyways, I got my answer, so please, lets not continue :)

700 gallon ROUND tank is just fine for a Naso tang, IMHO. ... you are welcome to have your own opinion of course :)

thanks.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 10:55 AM
Bad boy with 4 tangs, including a blue and a naso in a 150 gal here :D.

Purple and yellow should go in together. The blue looks different enough that the purple won't mind. I added the blue last among my tangs. Naso can go in anytime. He is the most peaceful among my tangs, and large enough no one messes with him.

My daughter just came back from a HS trip to Disneyworld and that fish place. The tangs, including the Naso's there were bigger than her head!!

nice, thanks, that's what I figured, since purple and yellow look the same, they could be the only ones fighting each other.

my blue tang and my yellow tang have been together for 3 years now, they are best friends :) lol

TampaReefer79
04/12/2011, 11:04 AM
hello all,
so a friends 220 just finished cycling, and I want to give him my blue and yellow tang.

Ok, so it JUST finished cycling. Your 20 years of reefing should be telling you that adding 3 tangs to a tank that JUST finished cycling and is not established/stable yet, is a bad idea.

You're taking a tank with little biological filtration present and adding 3 waste machines all at once. Hmmm. Might want to add them a little bit more slowly and let the bacteria catch up.

TampaReefer79
04/12/2011, 11:07 AM
I will have to stop you here ! please read my original post again. the tank is fully cycled and has been set up for 9 weeks now. (has been cycling for 9 weeks, not 1 week !!! not sure where you got that from, perhaps another try to put me down which failed at again :) )

this is going to be a SPS tank, and the fish list I posted above is the guys "dream fish list"

thank you.

"I don't care how much $$ someone has. The amount of knowledge one has can be sometimes ascertained by the questions asked themselves."

sorry, I wanted others opinions on purple and yellow tang being added together at the same time :) I do not see any problem with asking others for their openion and experience, it may teach me more after 20 years of reefing :) if you think asking question makes you look bad, you need to ....I like sharing info, knowledge and experience.

700 gallon ROUND tank is just fine for a Naso tang, IMHO. ... you are welcome to have your own opinion of course :)

thanks.

Why do people think that because they have a 'dream fish list' that they HAVE to get them, even if they don't fit into the tank they have planned? I see it all the time and it irks me. "A vlamingii tang won't fit long term in my 125? Well, it's my dream fish so I'm getting it anyway..." Just sayin'.

And seriously, you asked a question without giving all of the details and were given good advice. I don't understand the attitude problem that you have. (in bold above) Unless of course this is to TRY to start a fight... ?? :confused:

Allmost
04/12/2011, 11:08 AM
9 weeks (which you missed again) is more than enough initial cycle, 220 Gallon, 3 small tangs, seems like fine bioload to me .... PS. it is a zeovit system, please dont ask me about that, read on it if you like ...

we have to agree to disagree Tampa, please, I beg you to not start a fight here my friend. you are welcome to your own opinion, and I can see you are trying hard to put me down, lets say you won and leave this ? ok ? :)

Toddrtrex
04/12/2011, 11:09 AM

And seriously, you asked a question without giving all of the details and were given good advice. I don't understand the attitude problem that you have. (in bold above) Unless of course this is to TRY to start a fight... ?? :confused:

Honestly, I wouldn't waste any more effort on this -- after doing some post/thread searching, this seems to be the M.O.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 11:10 AM
Why do people think that because they have a 'dream fish list' that they HAVE to get them, even if they don't fit into the tank they have planned? I see it all the time and it irks me. "A vlamingii tang won't fit long term in my 125? Well, it's my dream fish so I'm getting it anyway..." Just sayin'.

Tampa, you are right, and I am wrong,

I appologize for not providing all info

please, lets calm down my friend :)

Toddrtrex
9 weeks (which you missed again) is more than enough initial cycle, 220 Gallon, 3 small tangs, seems like fine bioload to me .... PS. it is a zeovit system, please dont ask me about that, read on it if you like ...

we have to agree to disagree Tampa, please, I beg you to not start a fight here my friend. you are welcome to your own opinion, and I can see you are trying hard to put me down, lets say you won and leave this ? ok ? :)

No one in this thread is trying to put you down, not sure why you think that. Might want to check the attitude, just a suggestion.

Allmost
Honestly, I wouldn't waste any more effort on this -- after doing some post/thread searching, this seems to be the M.O.

thanks, :) I had a question and I got my answer :) dont see what he is trying to proove lol

TampaReefer79
04/12/2011, 11:11 AM

Okie Dokie Todd. :)

Allmost
04/12/2011, 11:13 AM
No one in this thread is trying to put you down, not sure why you think that. Might want to check the attitude, just a suggestion.

my bad Tod :)

I didnt think i had an attitude :) in my opinion, based on my experience, 9 weeks of Zeovit cycle, on a 220 Gallon tank is enough for adding 3 small tangs.

sorry if I did. not the intention.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 11:17 AM

this, I agree with 100% :)

but the fish list I provided are not like this my friend :) blue tang in a 220G is just fine in my opinion (of course i am talking about juv. a FULLY GROWN might not be :) )

geaux xman
04/12/2011, 11:39 AM
300g QT and 700 round FOWLR tank in the basement sounds pretty impressive.

got pics?

reefman30
04/12/2011, 11:49 AM
hello all,

he also wants a purple tang, NAso tang, and in near future a anchilles tang.

from my understanding, yellow and purple will give each other hard time most likely, so I am assuming they should be added at same time ?

what is the best way to introduce all the fish ? yellow and purple and blue now ? and then naso in a couple of weeks and then the anchilles ?

thanks.

thank you.

thanks.

I do not see anything about 9 weeks cycled in your first post. The first time you mention 9 weeks cycled is in the second quote.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 11:51 AM
I do not see anything about 9 weeks cycled in your first post. The first time you mention 9 weeks cycled is in the second quote.

you are right

nor did I mention 1 week old :)

lol

I said it finished cycling, as my question is not regarding that.

reefman30
04/12/2011, 12:08 PM
you are right

nor did I mention 1 week old :)

lol

I said it finished cycling, as my question is not regarding that.

nor does just finished cycling imply 9 weeks. :lolspin: :bounce3:
Just finished cycling makes me think a week or less. ;)

I was just trying to point out that you jumped on tampa for assuming it was only a week cycled when you made no mention of how long it had been cycled. In fact you said go read my original post again like you had said how long it had been cycled. :D

lol

Allmost
04/12/2011, 12:13 PM
Lol

Zfusco
04/12/2011, 12:28 PM
Regardless of the issue, just finished cycling doesn't imply stable, or that it's even remotely close to ready to add MULTIPLE tangs.

Anyway. I'm guessing you'll treat my opinion like the others, and it seems like he has money to waste, so go for it.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 12:29 PM
Regardless of the issue, just finished cycling doesn't imply stable, or that it's even remotely close to ready to add MULTIPLE tangs.

Anyway. I'm guessing you'll treat my opinion like the others, and it seems like he has money to waste, so go for it.

thanks for your comment. :)

Enjoy
04/12/2011, 12:43 PM
:mtool:

MelloW33
04/12/2011, 12:44 PM
I hope your question got answered somewhere in here. Personally, I would add the blue tang first, wait a week or two and add the yellow and purple.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 12:45 PM
I hope your question got answered somewhere in here. Personally, I would add the blue tang first, wait a week or two and add the yellow and purple.

yap thanks mark :) I got my answer :) with some extra fries on the side ....

lol

MelloW33
04/12/2011, 12:45 PM

JW, What's the purpose of posting this?

Jeff
04/12/2011, 01:18 PM

JW, What's the purpose of posting this?

It means someone thinks another person is a tool. While I can't say that I agree that it's a nice thing to do...
Anyway, the tangs and tank discussed do not go together. I speak from experience. I had a 220 gallon tank and it was specifically setup for tangs. Just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Tank sizes are a hot topic lately around here. Another hot topic lately is the fact that people ask questions on a public message board hoping for information that helps them plan ahead and then argue the answers given by people with more experience. Drives me crazy...
So to answer your origional question: "what is the best way to introduce all the fish ? yellow and purple and blue now ? and then naso in a couple of weeks and then the anchilles ?" Don't. Leave them at the store until your friend is able to do more/better research as to appropriate homes for tangs. Those fish do not belong together in a 220 gallon tank whether it is cycled or not.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 01:20 PM
It means someone thinks another person is a tool. While I can't say that I agree that it's a nice thing to do...
Anyway, the tangs and tank discussed do not go together. I speak from experience. I had a 220 gallon tank and it was specifically setup for tangs. Just because someone wants something doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Tank sizes are a hot topic lately around here. Another hot topic lately is the fact that people ask questions on a public message board hoping for information that helps them plan ahead and then argue the answers given by people with more experience. Drives me crazy...
So to answer your origional question: "what is the best way to introduce all the fish ? yellow and purple and blue now ? and then naso in a couple of weeks and then the anchilles ?" Don't. Leave them at the store until your friend is able to do more/better research as to appropriate homes for tangs. Those fish do not belong together in a 220 gallon tank whether it is cycled or not.

we already have all the fish with us :) in various different systems.

again, please do not assume who ever asks questions is new :)

or assume as u wish :) lol

purple, yellow, and blue are just fine in a 220Gand I know that, not pat of my question, my question was, should i add the purple and yellow together, and I got my answer, so thanks.

about the tool comment ... I am here to discuss Ideas, not ppl ....

Toddrtrex
04/12/2011, 01:31 PM
purple, yellow, and blue are just fine in a 220Gand I know that......

about the tool comment ... I am here to discuss Ideas, not ppl ....

Kind of appears that you don't want to discuss ideas, since you already "know" that a purple, yellow and blue are fine in a 220....

Enjoy
04/12/2011, 01:46 PM
Alright, rather than post the "tool" I should have said -

You have recieved a lot of good info from reputable sources, and you choose to hear what you want. No matter how many times someone says it's not a good idea, you pass right by it and say "anyways how bout my question".
Im honestly surprised people are still honestly trying to help you, as you seem like you don't want to be helped.
Pretty rediculous how many people have to tell you to adjust you attitude.

Hopefully your fish find a nice home in a suitable tank.

Allmost
04/12/2011, 01:50 PM
Kind of appears that you don't want to discuss ideas, since you already "know" that a purple, yellow and blue are fine in a 220....

what is the tank size you recommend for those 3 fish Todd ?

even sites like liveaquaria (sorry if i cant post the name) recommend, 180 for blue tang, 125 for purple and 100 for yellow tang.

[all in US Gallons]

thanks.

BrianD
04/12/2011, 02:01 PM
Closed. It is a waste of time to try to talk to some people. Allmost, you need to lose the attitude.