PDA

View Full Version : 3-day "lights out" for cyano?

dixiedog
04/12/2011, 11:21 AM
I've heard a few people suggest this method, and would like to hear some pros and cons on it from those who have done it. From what I hear, it's quite safe and reasonably effective. Yes? No?

What about covering the tank during the process, to shut out ambient light?

And how would I survive for three days without being able to look at my tank?? :p

bagz727
04/12/2011, 11:29 AM
would also like to know if this would work with the green algae on my glass. :fun2:

stingythingy45
04/12/2011, 11:58 AM
Does very little,IMO.
The cyano generally just comes back just as strong once the light schedule is returned to normal.

t4zalews
04/12/2011, 11:58 AM
just use chemiclean..ive used this multiple times for cyano. just follow the instructions and its gone in 3 days. I've never harmed/lost anything using it. Its super easy and effective

Red_Blenny
04/12/2011, 12:14 PM
I use a Chaetomorpha/GFO/3 days lights off combo to take out my cyano. Takes a while though but it never came back.

As long you don't have corals, 3 days with no light is useful as a combo, not by itself. Cyano will come back on anyways

mtaswt
04/12/2011, 12:16 PM
i have gotten into the habit of doing this about once every 3 months.....it typically clears a lot of stuff up. I haven't had any drawbacks whatsoever other than not being able to look at the tank. TRY IT--you won't be disappointed!

bagz727
04/14/2011, 05:48 AM
So this scheme is not for people with corals?

frankpayne32
04/14/2011, 06:28 AM
It works very well BUT you can't just expect it to eradicate the cyano/algae without taking steps to correct the nutrient problem in your tank. If you have cyano/algae you have a nutrient problem. While the lights are out in your tank take the three days to lower your nutrients. Here are the steps you should take:

-Suck out/scrape off all the algae/cyano you can the first day you turn the lights off.
-Add fresh carbon and GFO as soon as you turn the lights out.
-Do two large water changes, one on the first day of lights out, the second on the day your turn the lights back on (each water change should be around 25% of the total volume).
-Do not feed your fish during the lights out (they can take it).
-On the fourth day turn your lights back on but not all of them (if you use metal halides and fluorescents only turn on the fluorescents the first day).

If you follow these steps you will pretty much knock your cyano/algae problem. But, unless you take steps to KEEP your nutrient levels down it will return with time, maybe even the next day. That means: increase water changes, feed less (or remove some fish), and keep detritus out of your tank. Be weary of using chemicals like ChemiClean. Anything designed to knock out cyano is an antibiotic (= kills bacteria) and it's total effects on a tank are unknown and there are MANY tank crashes caused by it (just search on here). Hope this helps and good luck.

disc1
04/14/2011, 08:37 AM
Most corals will be fine with a 3-day lights out. They will think some big storm clouds blew in for a few days. It gets really dark underwater when it's cloudy. I'm not sure how effective it is against cyano, but it will knock that green dust algae right out of your tank.

davocean
04/14/2011, 10:21 AM
Many do this, even w/ corals, no problem.
Yes, it is a temporary fix if you aren't chasing the source of nutrients, but not a bad step to take along the process.

MelloW33
04/14/2011, 11:21 AM
I've done this numerous times over the past couple years. No issues at all with any of my coral, fish, or anemones. But to truly eradicate the problem, you need to find what's causing the cyano.

dixiedog
04/14/2011, 01:23 PM
If you have cyano/algae you have a nutrient problem

If you only knew my tank, you'd take that statement back. ;)

joebo1717
04/14/2011, 02:24 PM
+1 for frankpayne32 solution. You do have to address the root cause but this is a good step in the right direction. I go lights out once a month and cover the tank in the towels i keep around. after 24hrs of lights back on the corals look amazing

dixiedog
04/14/2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, see, there it is again. Other than having every member of RC over to my house, it's hard to convince the hive mind I'm telling the truth. But every time someone says "nutrients" and "root cause", I vomit a little. But it's my own fault for authoring this thread, I knew perfectly well what was coming.

Thanks for your help everyone.

moondoggy4
04/14/2011, 08:30 PM
You stated "that if you only know my tank" OK we don't why don't you share more info the better.
You also stated that you are telling the truth So forgive me but what is the truth?

davocean
04/14/2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah, see, there it is again. Other than having every member of RC over to my house, it's hard to convince the hive mind I'm telling the truth. But every time someone says "nutrients" and "root cause", I vomit a little. But it's my own fault for authoring this thread, I knew perfectly well what was coming.

That reads a little harsh for people that actually took the time to help you w/ your tank issues.
The "hive minded" are just telling you the truth, if your tank was that sterile, I'm not sure why you are asking about lights out to treat cyano?
Maybe post some pics of your setup, and lighten the attitude.

Scungili
04/14/2011, 09:40 PM

I feel for you man. Im going through the same crap with my tank which has always been low nutrients but esp. lately has been so damn sterile i started to lose some sps tissue. I cut back my carbon dosing and still my NO3 and PO4 is ZIP, but I still have Cyano and Hair growing!

BTW the light out works, Ive tried it and I have SPS and LPS.

However, one guy mentioned to "cover" your tank and true, total darkness works better. But when I did it I had a major disaster.

Covered my tank, shut off lights of course, and didn't feed. Then what happened?

My tank overheated from no evaporation. If you have a chiller then you may be ok, but I would still monitor your tanks temp.

Yes it works, I may try it and not cover my tank, but it works better in total darkness.

BTW, Cyano can live without Nitrates and Phosphates, they had an article in Coral magazine a few months back. I don't remember the details but something like it can live off Sulfer?

Scungili
04/14/2011, 10:18 PM
That reads a little harsh for people that actually took the time to help you w/ your tank issues.
The "hive minded" are just telling you the truth, if your tank was that sterile, I'm not sure why you are asking about lights out to treat cyano?
Maybe post some pics of your setup, and lighten the attitude.

I think he was just venting his frustrations. Im sure you are fully aware of how hard it is to get rid of cyano once you have it. Besides, it's not really great to have a sterile tank either. You want "some" nutrients ideally. I think it was David Saxby who said he likes his PO4 .02 and his Nitrates at 2ppm. But the frustrating thing is, once you have these invasive organisms in your tank, it takes something above and beyond to get it out first. Then you can measure what you got, because as you know, once you have Algae it's hard to say if you really don't have nutrients.

newtank
04/15/2011, 02:10 PM
If your system is that sterile it could be silica that the cyno is feeding off of? Doubt many people test for silica...The conventional thought usually is to treat the cause not the symtom,thats probally why so many will cite nutrients as the cause. I dont believe that cyano /dinoflagellates survive off of light alone. Just a thought, good luck i have the same problem, i know I need better flow and will try fresh GFO, siphon out all I can and just keep on it. It worked for the great Green Hair outbreak of 09.

davocean
04/15/2011, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I understand that situation and frustration very well, but I'm still going to speak nice to those who try to help.
And showing your system is not really all that difficult, we have the ability to show in both pics and vid.
I've seen people think they have some rad system before to see a ton of bioballs and sponge filter that really was the source of their problems.
I think the point being made by most is don't just do the temp fix by attacking the symptoms, but be dilligent in also chasing the source.

Scungili
04/16/2011, 08:17 AM
Yeah, I understand that situation and frustration very well, but I'm still going to speak nice to those who try to help.
And showing your system is not really all that difficult, we have the ability to show in both pics and vid.
I've seen people think they have some rad system before to see a ton of bioballs and sponge filter that really was the source of their problems.
I think the point being made by most is don't just do the temp fix by attacking the symptoms, but be dilligent in also chasing the source.

True.

ken123
04/16/2011, 12:41 PM
I had hair algae on my rocks and cyano on my sand. Kept on doing water changes and the algae stayed. I turned my lights off for three days, the next week for two days. I also added newspaper on the outside of the tank near the bottom to prevent ambient light from getting in. I only have candy cane and frogspawn, they were fine. After all this no more algae!! Been like that going on three weeks now. I say it works.