PDA

View Full Version : Measuring PAR? PAR meter?

zues2006
04/12/2011, 12:56 PM
I've got a 30 gallon nano. I recently put a DE 250W metal halide pendant (aqua medic) with magnetic ballast. It's been about 9 weeks using the light (20,000k) 250W.
I'm not really seeing much growth with this light. I've got it unobstucted, about 9 inches above the tank. The tank is 12.5" tall.

Should I be noticing growth from my hammerhead, zoas, and other corals, or is it too soon?

I wonder if my light is too high off the tank?
Ideally, I would like to measure the PAR values, just to be sure where I'm at, but I don't know how realistic that is.
$100 and up to measure PAR 2 or 3 times ever doesn't sound like value for my $$$.
Any thoughts? (i know there could be other issues, but considering "perfect" tank parameters)

zues2006
04/12/2011, 12:57 PM
Oh, and for fun I've got a 20W actinic blub also.
I run the 250W from 12pm - 8pm.
I run the 20W from 11am - 9pm.

IslandCrow
04/12/2011, 01:36 PM
I assume by hammerhead, you mean hammer coral. It also sounds like you have more than enough light for the corals you mentioned. I'm not sure what type of growth your expecting, but light is only one part of the equation. Just because you add more light, it doesn't mean your corals will grow any faster. I think either your expectations are too high, or you need to concentrate on your overall tank husbandry to improve growth.

pkirby
04/12/2011, 07:52 PM
Your lighting sounds like more than plenty for your corals... I agree, either you are expecting unrealistic growth... Or your water parameters aren't at optimal levels for growth. Things like nitrates and phosphates play a definite role when it comes to coral growth. But your lighting sounds fine