PDA

View Full Version : Mix Phosban with Carbon

eg8r210
04/12/2011, 01:17 PM
I just received my TLF 550 phosban reactor and the directions state that I could mix phosban with carbon. How effective is the reactor mixing these two? Also, which goes in first the phosban or the carbon? Or do I mix them both up first and then put htem in?

dwa_jeff
04/12/2011, 01:22 PM
I think mixing carbon and phosban would be a bad idea. first they need different flow rates to work effectively. The carbon needs a quicker flow rate than the phosban. Also phosban lasts much longer than carbon. Carbon should be replaced at least every 30 days, whereas phosban can easily go 60-90 days before it needs replacing. Finally if the carbon was tumbling with the phosban, it would likely grind the phosban down and send it out into your tank.

I wouldn't do it. I usually run them in separate reactors and only run the carbon for a few days to polish the water if need be.

Remn
04/12/2011, 01:47 PM
What Dwa_jeff says is correct. I would run in seperate reactors if you wanted to use both Phosban and Carbon. Thats not to say it hasn't been done, but its a bad idea.

gweston
04/12/2011, 02:54 PM
I mix both in a single reactor on my small 29g tank. It works just fine. 100% optimized efficiency with ideal flow rates? Maybe not.. but it works and it is far better than a filter sock. I prefer to not layer it, as the GFO will clump and channel. When mixed relatively evenly, it does work well enough.

For my larger tank soon to go in. I will use separate reactors with more appropriate flow rates.