PDA

View Full Version : Where to place new clam

vitodog
04/12/2011, 03:55 PM
I just received my first clam. I purchased it from LiveAquaria. Its a Tridacna maxima (Micronesian Ultra Gold) What is the best area in the tank to place it? My light is a Marineland Pro. 48". 2, 150w MH and 4, 54w actinics. Thank you.

Darkstar22
04/12/2011, 04:15 PM
They like allot of light. In the ocean they generally live on the rocks, but can be found in the sand as well. (according to Fatheree). (buy the book! you will learn allot). Mine is actually in the sand, and although I tried to get it to attach to a rock, it never did.
You should take a small rock bury it in the substrate, and set the clam on top of it....it should attach, and then you can move it up on your rock work.
Let's see some pics!

moliken
04/12/2011, 05:35 PM
+1 on darkstar's comments.
how big is the tank?
with that light, and a regular tank, it probably will do well anywhere, but you can't overlight it. it's a light lover.

vitodog
04/12/2011, 06:19 PM
They like allot of light. In the ocean they generally live on the rocks, but can be found in the sand as well. (according to Fatheree). (buy the book! you will learn allot). Mine is actually in the sand, and although I tried to get it to attach to a rock, it never did.
You should take a small rock bury it in the substrate, and set the clam on top of it....it should attach, and then you can move it up on your rock work.
Let's see some pics!

Thanks Darkstar22. Great advise. I'm gonna do just as you suggest. Also, I'm going on line and see if I can find that book. Thanks again.

vitodog
04/12/2011, 06:23 PM
+1 on darkstar's comments.
how big is the tank?
with that light, and a regular tank, it probably will do well anywhere, but you can't overlight it. it's a light lover.

Thanks for the response moliken. Its a 90 gal. I'll be doing as Darkstar and you suggest. Sounds like good advise to me. Thanks again.

Darkstar22
04/12/2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the response moliken. Its a 90 gal. I'll be doing as Darkstar and you suggest. Sounds like good advise to me. Thanks again.
I learned tons from listening to moliken! Thanks for all your help! .....and you can't go wrong on buying "Giant Clams in the Sea and Aquarium" by James Fatheree

moliken
04/12/2011, 07:07 PM
well thanks, ds.
vito, look for the book on amazon. i got mine cheap there directly from fatheree, signed. he still has some on sale, used, but only b/c they are scuffed. 23$ instead of 35$

vitodog
04/13/2011, 04:44 AM
Thanks for all your help Darkstar and moliken. I'm going on line this morning and I will purchase that book, for sure. moliken, I see you have 14 clams (wow) how old is the oldest? And, what water conditions do they seem to prefer? Thanks again guys.

moliken
04/13/2011, 05:01 AM
the book is a great read plus amazing pics.
my oldest is a derasa 2 years in my tank and tripled in size. but i lost a few during a bad pyr snail infestation in 2010 and am looking for a few more. i had been up to 19, but i know people who have over 2 dozen.
preferences are low flow/high light/no nippers/no phosphate/ca over 400/alk above average

vitodog
04/13/2011, 10:14 AM
the book is a great read plus amazing pics.
my oldest is a derasa 2 years in my tank and tripled in size. but i lost a few during a bad pyr snail infestation in 2010 and am looking for a few more. i had been up to 19, but i know people who have over 2 dozen.
preferences are low flow/high light/no nippers/no phosphate/ca over 400/alk above average

Thanks moliken. I just ordered the book (used) and I should have it by next week. Sounds like you know what your doing when it comes to maintaining healthy clams. I think my tanks current water conditions and all inhabitants will be able to accommodate the clam. Thanks again.

Darkstar22
04/13/2011, 10:30 AM
vitodog, be aware that the disease is contagious! I bought my 1st clam last year, a Maxima, then a Derasa, and 2 weeks ago a Crocea!

vitodog
04/13/2011, 02:33 PM
:lol:Too late. I'm already planning for my 2nd one

Darkstar22
04/13/2011, 03:52 PM
:lol:Too late. I'm already planning for my 2nd one
:beer: I love my corals, but the clams are my babies! When I had my vacation auto top off failure, and lost a bunch of SPS....I was most relieved to see that my Maxima, and Derasa survived! The Temp in the tank was 63F, and specific gravity rose to 1.040. I think clams may be tougher than we think. Now I am nervous as can be, because I'm upgrading to 105G, and am worried about transferring them! LOL!
good luck, and let's see those pics!!

moliken
04/13/2011, 04:09 PM
wow. wish i could do a bigger setup. btw, vito, what other critters are in yr tank. some things are known nippers--angels,crabs

Darkstar22
04/13/2011, 04:18 PM
wow. wish i could do a bigger setup. btw, vito, what other critters are in yr tank. some things are known nippers--angels,crabs
Good point moliken! Don't want your clams turned into Sushi!

moliken
04/13/2011, 05:49 PM
yeah, i had a "reef safe" emerald crab start to tear up a clam. i trust NO crabs with clams, maybe an acro crab, but no hermits either. def'ly not a sally lightfoot!!!

Darkstar22
04/13/2011, 09:11 PM
I've had hermits in with mine so far, and no problems. I hope they continue to be model citizens.

moliken
04/14/2011, 04:52 AM
lotsa luck. some are fine today, but tomorrow, bstrds.

vitodog
04/14/2011, 07:11 AM
Thanks moliken. I do have an Emerald Crab and an Angel (Coral Beauty) and about 6 or 7 hermits. I'll be watching them. I also have a Six Line Wrasse, a Royal Gamma, Diamond Goby, 2 Ocellaris Clowns and a Sailfin Blenny. When I first placed the Clam in the tank, a Hermit did go right to it but soon lost interest. Again, I'll be watching those desperadoes.

Darkstar22
04/14/2011, 09:11 AM
I'd be most concerned with the Angel, and the Emerald Crab! As I said before, I have hermits and they are no problem, but I guess they can be.

vitodog
04/14/2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks Darkstar. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on both crabs and angel. I have not figured out how to post pics yet. As soon as I do i'll be sure to post pics of the clam. Thanks again.

Darkstar22
04/14/2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks Darkstar. I'll be keeping a watchful eye on both crabs and angel. I have not figured out how to post pics yet. As soon as I do i'll be sure to post pics of the clam. Thanks again.
The easiest way to post pics is: Setup a photobucket account (free). Upload your pics to it, click on img code...it will put the photo link on the clipboard. Simply paste it onto reef central message, and enter!

moliken
04/14/2011, 02:41 PM
yep. if the clam closes for a while, it's the angel most likely. if the emerald gets too big, be careful.