PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea

moonp13
04/12/2011, 07:53 PM
We dont like the way the coralline looks on the back of our tank and were considering scraping it off,

Crazy idea?

What do yall think?

thegrun
04/12/2011, 07:58 PM
An endless task, but it will not hurt anything to remove it. It would be a good bet you quit the practice before the year is out.

MCCOOL
04/12/2011, 08:15 PM
I scrape mine weekly, looks much better in my opinion. If you keep up with it, it's not too much trouble.

ejanastacio
04/12/2011, 08:45 PM
I think it looks better without the coralline algae and it's not to much trouble to scrub it off, so if you want to you should do it

mrsmoonpie
04/12/2011, 08:49 PM
How do u recommend is the best way to do it

duncantse
04/12/2011, 09:10 PM
credit card/algae scraper

wbdevers
04/12/2011, 10:26 PM
It's your tank so if you want it off scrape it off. Remember, it's your hobby and your tank--it's what makes you happy. I personally like it, especially on the back glass. I keep my side and (obviously) front clean, but it's covered my overflowbox and my powerheads and I enjoy it. I have seen some tanks that it has gotten out of hand to the point it is clogging pumps and such.

zigzag1
04/13/2011, 06:33 AM
I do this every month or two - often before tanking tank photos, house guests, showing off the tank, etc. It can really neaten up the look of the tank. I use a single-edge razor blade on my glass tank, which is first soaked/cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove manufacturing oils. Be careful with the blade near the edges of your glass to not cut the silicone there. GL!

bnumair
04/13/2011, 06:59 AM
i have a in-wall tank with no front access, so i have to keep all sides and back clean in order to maintain my tank so i can see clearly. otherwise i would still keep my sides and front clean.

Megatrev62
04/13/2011, 07:07 AM
Just scraped off the back of my 75 gallon yesterday. It was covered in coraline and I didn't really like the look. Was like that for a few months. Used a paint scraper(razor blade) and took about 10 minutes. Tank looks super clean now and glad I did it. Wife who doesn't share the passion even commented that she hated the look of the tank with the coraline.lol