PDA

View Full Version : question about carnation

doorlady
04/12/2011, 07:58 PM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/Doorlady_photos/DSC_0008-1.jpg
Okay, we have had this about 2 weeks now and for most of the time is fully inflated. Every once in a while he deflates for a short time and when he does this he seems to shed some fibers, is this natural? Thanks in advance for your help!

alebrun
04/12/2011, 08:25 PM
Some softys shed off a layer of mucis sometimes.. I have a neon green sinulatia that does that. Evan tho the carnation is np it probably does the same thing as photosynthetic softys do..

SWINGRRRR
04/13/2011, 09:30 AM
Bailing polyps seems to be a sign of stress. Same with budding of baby polyps. Its the corals last ditch effort at survival/ spreading its genes.

Although no one knows exactly for sure, its been seen as a repeated occurrence with these types.
Its horrible advice, but just try your best at providing appropriate care, and hope for the best. I know I preach hope is not a strategy, but so little is known about the exact care of these guys.

uhuru
04/13/2011, 05:00 PM
IME, they should not shed their sclerites unless they are stressed or unhealthy. I see it sometimes after shipping but it should not continue once they are in the new tank for a few days. I have not found them to be like other corals/inverts that sometimes shed as a part of their normal cycle.