PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to purchase marine beta

Megatrev62
04/12/2011, 09:11 PM
Need advice on this one. Have a 75 gallon running for 6 months now and all is doing well.
Fish: 2 false percs
2 yellow tail blues(mellow)
2 cardinals
bi-color blenny
chocolate tang(aggressive toward newcomers but settles down)

Have 60-70 lbs LR. Parameters are good.
Question: Really like this marine beta (4 inches) that has been at LFS for 3 months( $120.00 yikes) but eating everything and looking good. Would the tang hurt this fish when introduced? He was aggressive toward the cardinals and bi-color when I put them in but all ok now. Think I can get a better price on the fish as well. Any thoughts? Thanks

tcmfish
04/12/2011, 10:27 PM
Even if it gets roughed up they are extremely hardy and heal well. I had one marine betta tear another one apart. The victim had shredded fins and open wounds, and it completely healed with no special treatment besides being removed from the aggressor.

The tang will probably take it's shots early on, but their behavior and niches are so different that I doubt the aggression will last long enough to cause any serious problems.

Megatrev62
04/12/2011, 10:37 PM
Ty and I'm glad to hear it!!!

mike810
04/13/2011, 12:04 AM
I had a blue tang with my marine beta and it never bothered it. On a side note, the marine beta was the most boring fish I ever put in my tank. It hid all the time and only came out to eat when I shut off the return pumps to feed.

flameangel88
04/13/2011, 05:12 AM
I've one that's about 4" for around 2 years now and it eats pellets to frozen. It stays close to the rock work most of the time and only comes out once a while so I don't think your tang will be able to attack it much in the open water. I would try to introduce it with lights out for a day or two if you're worry. $120 does sound kind of high so you may want to shop around and getting them to eat is not that difficult.

tmcfish have very good posts here on RC so do a search.

GL!

Megatrev62
04/13/2011, 06:25 AM
Thanks. This particular fish is out and around whenever I'm at the store(in with a foxface for a month) but I know they may not be the case if I purchase it. That's my fear too . Don't want to pay alot of money for a fish I don't see. The prices here are retarded.

dan-in-gr
04/13/2011, 06:41 AM
Hi, I had a Marine Beta in a 180 with tangs and misc fish, the fish never bothered him. The others are right, the fish will find a spot where you will never see him, mine rarely came out of the rock work. Expensive for something you will not see, but they are beautiful.

Jdbrine
04/13/2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks. This particular fish is out and around whenever I'm at the store(in with a foxface for a month) but I know they may not be the case if I purchase it. That's my fear too . Don't want to pay alot of money for a fish I don't see. The prices here are retarded.

First of all let me say that $120 for a Marine Betta is insanely ridiculous!!!... Thats double what most places sell them for. I have a Marine Betta in my 90 and he is a great fish. I have several tangs in their with him and they have never shown interest in one another, completely fine together. I think you'll be fine with one in your tank. Just please don't get taken advantage of by paying that ridiculous $120... Good luck!!!

Jdbrine
04/13/2011, 06:42 AM
Need advice on this one. Have a 75 gallon running for 6 months now and all is doing well.
Fish: 2 false percs
2 yellow tail blues(mellow)
2 cardinals
bi-color blenny
chocolate tang(aggressive toward newcomers but settles down)

Have 60-70 lbs LR. Parameters are good.
Question: Really like this marine beta (4 inches) that has been at LFS for 3 months( $120.00 yikes) but eating everything and looking good. Would the tang hurt this fish when introduced? He was aggressive toward the cardinals and bi-color when I put them in but all ok now. Think I can get a better price on the fish as well. Any thoughts? Thanks

First of all let me say that $120 for a Marine Betta is insanely ridiculous!!!... Thats double what most places sell them for. I have a Marine Betta in my 90 and he is a great fish. I have several tangs in their with him and they have never shown interest in one another, completely fine together. I think you'll be fine with one in your tank. Just please don't get taken advantage of by paying that ridiculous $120... Good luck!!!

GrendelPrime76
04/13/2011, 09:04 AM
i picked up my marine betta alittle over a month ago for about 45 bucks and hes in a tank with a fox face and tennenti tang and shes almost never hiding in the rocks, great fish but i agree with the above 120 is a ridiculous price for 1

djkms
04/13/2011, 11:11 AM
No tangs but every fish I have in my tank (in my signature) will stay away from my Betta. Marine Betta's are cryptic fish so don't get your hopes up in seeing them out in the open. My Betta stays in the caves. They also do not like bright reef style lighting so a cave system is a must. My Betta only eats live ghost shrimp and even though the Betta your looking at eats frozen/prepared in the store it might not take to it at home. Be prepared to feed it live food if needs be, they are awesome to watch eat though!!!!

Korrine
04/13/2011, 11:19 AM
+1 on the betta being reclusive. The one I see where I volunteer helping to take care of the tanks is VERY boring. Cool colors, but doesn't do much.

tcmfish
04/13/2011, 12:08 PM
They aren't swimmers that's for sure! But as djkms said, watching them eat live food is crazy! The tail flick is ridiculous.

Megatrev62
04/13/2011, 12:21 PM
Kinda on two minds right now.lol. I know the price is ridiculous for sure and that may now be the deciding factor. Beautiful fish though- would love to have it especially when it's eating frozen.

MCCOOL
04/13/2011, 02:06 PM
Mine is fairly reclusive, but I definitely don't find it boring! It's a very interesting fish in my opinion, and as they get more comfortable in a tank they'll start to venture out of their cave more and more. After a few years, mine now spends alot of it's time out in the open.

travis32
04/13/2011, 02:57 PM
Remember that Marine Bettas are also Deep water fish and in so doing they do not like the intense lighting we usually have for corals, clams and anemones.. What's ironic, is I put a frag rack in my 125g. My betta now comes out various points in the day and just hangs out under the frag rack waiting to be fed.. It gets bored and swims back into the rock work to hide in a cave. Most of his caves I have arranged so he's plainly visible even if he does hide in a cave.

Also, note that LA says bettas are nocturnal fish.. I don't know if that's true or not, but, I do notice that once the halides turn off and just the actinics are on, my betta is out in the open water column swimming around or just hanging out waiting for a pod to swim by.

I love my bettas personality, yes the other fish tend to avoid him, however, my cleaner wrasse still tries to clean him. And a few times he's been fine with being cleaned... Who knew..

djkms
04/13/2011, 02:58 PM
I paid $80 for mine which was purchased through Divers Den. $120 is steep, yes, but is it worth it to YOU? At the end of the day if you're happy with the purchase thats all that matters. I love my Marine Betta and I personally would pay $120 for it if I knew that it was in good health and purchased from a reputable source. It is my second favorite fish in my tank but like previously said, dont expect to see it out in the open. If your rockwork is setup i a fashion where fish can easily hide and you cant find them, this might not be a good choice. My rockwork is setup so that I can pretty much seen in every nook and cranny in my tank.

Megatrev62
04/13/2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone. Will be heading down to lfs tomorrow and will make up my mind then, and I'm sure they still have it. If they move some on the price, that will be major factor.

HASBRO
04/13/2011, 09:12 PM
Our LFS got one in the other day and was kind of pumped until i seen the price tag of 140$. After tax 150$ish, had a laugh and bought a nori clip instead.

Megatrev62
04/14/2011, 06:32 AM
LOL.Brutal. Thought Newfoundland was the worst in Canada!!!

mike810
04/14/2011, 03:59 PM
I bought mine for $50, I can't imagine what you are paying for other things reef related.

Megatrev62
04/14/2011, 06:52 PM
I'll give you one that will blow you away.

Yellow tang-$124.99 at one store-now closed-wonder why
coral beauty $119.99 -same store

Royal grammas here are $40-45 always
Live Rock is $12.99/lb here(not the best rock either)

Not much in corals here, but try to get frags cheaper from hobbyists.

Megatrev62
04/14/2011, 07:33 PM
Didn't purchase the beta, but it was out and about looking good.

ssavader
04/14/2011, 07:52 PM
Where are you located? Look at Foster and Smith's site (not DD):

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+46+364&pcatid=364

Medium Betta- $80- and you can be sure it will be top quality.

Megatrev62
04/14/2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks in Canada-Newfoundland. A few of us are considering buying from jlaquatics in Vancouver-excellent prices and split shipping. Probably later in May when we know the weather should not be a problem.

injektion
04/15/2011, 01:58 AM
I'm from vancouver myself and I go to J&L aquatics all the time. i would def recommend their stuff. the marine bettas are only $60 here but not sure how much it costs to ship across the continent, although i'm sure you've already figured it out

i've always wanted to visit newfie-land but since your lfs have such outrageous prices i may have to reconsider :p

Megatrev62
04/15/2011, 05:12 AM
Lol. I hear ya. Can't even jig a cod fish these days. Don't let that discourage you. Nice and clean ,whales and iceburgs. Something of interest though we do have a caplin harvest every year in which millions of these small fish "roll" on the beaches breeding. We newfies go to these beaches with our buckets and casting nets and take home as many as we can!!! Good eating. THis happens in June and sometimes later. Anyway thanks for the info on j&l. Definitely going to do it.

The prices aren't bad for everything else(except gas maybe)-on par and cheaper in most cases but don't come here if youy want to visit some aquarium shops.lol