PDA

View Full Version : would latz go good with my haddoni?

Creetin
04/14/2011, 02:28 PM
Like title says, I have a 300 gal, and a couple haddoni's. I keep temps somewhat cooler than alot of tanks. average temp is 76+/-2 degree's
I have had 2 clowns eaten by my haddoni, I watched one get it.
Do you guys and gals think i am asking for it by putting another clown pair in there? I know its a risk.

Creetin
04/14/2011, 02:29 PM
Oh these will be the captive bred ones.

deangelr
04/14/2011, 02:52 PM
What species of clowns were eaten? Latz are not naturally hosted by Haddoni and I have never seen/heard this combo in captivity so I do not know. They may or may not.

here is a little list of those anemonefishes that are naturally hosted by haddoni..

A. akindynos, A. chrysogaster, A. chrysopterus, A. clarkii, A. polymnus, A. sebae

If you could find any of those then that is what i would do as natural combinations seem to work better.

this is me
04/14/2011, 03:08 PM
I like to do the natural hosting route to reduce problems down the road like clowns being eaten or losing colors due to the nem.

Gary Majchrzak
04/14/2011, 03:18 PM
I would not do Latz with haddon's. Get black polymnus.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/7144142_4215_3_.jpg

cgauer5
04/14/2011, 03:26 PM
If you want to go the natural route I would say H. crispa or E. quadricolor would be your options for latz. So since you have multiple Haddoni I would stick with deangelr's list. What type of clowns have you had fall victim to the haddoni?

Creetin
04/14/2011, 04:14 PM
black and white occ, and a onyx perc were eaten I am in a delemma, I don't like the natural clownfish for haddoni.
I figured the latz would be closer to the saddlebacks in relation.
Might be a bling thing. I have a red haddoni love the color but hate the clowns it hosts.
Now if i could get a healthy huge blue gig i would drop the red haddoni. But i am done with gigs i had 2 die from the usual shipping or lack of healthy stock.
Heres the clown killer. LOL i watched the occ cause the nem to close and the clown just dove in it and it gobbled it up.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/realcreetin/P1020489-1.jpg

Creetin
04/14/2011, 04:19 PM
This is my dream nem, But it died. Such a waste of a beautiful creature. :(
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/realcreetin/th_MVI_3842.jpg (http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/realcreetin/?action=view&current=MVI_3842.mp4)

MarineBioHSU
04/14/2011, 04:32 PM
No, you should not try that combo, in fact you should simply send them both to me! :)

I have seen lots of Latz hosting in carpets, in other peoples tanks. I have had many species of clowns host in haddonis and never had an issue, but that is not to say it cannot happen. And, I don't believe that an anemone can suddenly "decide" to eat some resident clowns, it seems that the fish themselves must have an issue that destroys their protection...In my opinion it would seem that you should have no problem.

Creetin
04/14/2011, 04:39 PM
No, you should not try that combo, in fact you should simply send them both to me! :)

I have seen lots of Latz hosting in carpets, in other peoples tanks. I have had many species of clowns host in haddonis and never had an issue, but that is not to say it cannot happen. And, I don't believe that an anemone can suddenly "decide" to eat some resident clowns, it seems that the fish themselves must have an issue that destroys their protection...In my opinion it would seem that you should have no problem.

Thanks, Its the clowns they are getting protective, The occ darted in the nem hard when a fish got near it causing it to close up. The clown refused to leave the nem when it was closing and was eaten. If it just swam out it would have been ok.
I may have to get rid of the purple tang because he is what gets the clowns defensive picking all around it. No other fish were eaten. They stay a good distance away with the exception of the purple tang. Before any nem the purple tang would pick on the clowns.
Thanks for the info, I have seen pics of latz and haddoni's, But have not read anything on it.

Creetin
04/19/2011, 03:42 PM
Well i decided to go against the grain and get another perc. I got a cquest onyx female to go with my wild male onyx.
Looks like it will be good as both of them wont go near the nem. LOL
Thanks all for the help, I hate to ask then not listen. You guys have a lot of exp and i trust what you guys say is true. I just cant buy a clarki or saddleback.

Tofumushrooman
04/19/2011, 03:52 PM
Well i decided to go against the grain and get another perc. I got a cquest onyx female to go with my wild male onyx.
Looks like it will be good as both of them wont go near the nem. LOL
Thanks all for the help, I hate to ask then not listen. You guys have a lot of exp and i trust what you guys say is true. I just cant buy a clarki or saddleback.

if it still doesn't work out you could always get an anemone crab or shrimp... i know it isnt the ideal substitute for you but in the event that all else fails better than nothing? good luck with the percs tho :-)