PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer not foaming

iwishtofish
04/14/2011, 07:29 PM
What are the most common causes of this? Is my bioload too light?

moondoggy4
04/14/2011, 08:18 PM
It could be you need to turn down your air my bubbles where too big kinda of like peas going up the neck, so they were bursting and not carrying up the stuff.
Does the neck get dirty?

07 Sti
04/14/2011, 09:55 PM
To induce skimming, try and add a few drops at a time of Novaqua. It works wonders. Be sure not to put to much in all at once. I have an RSB Classic with the Mazzei venturi, that works/skims fantastically. To induce wet foam I just add a few drops of the Novaqua to my 100 gallon tank. Works like a charm.

iwishtofish
04/14/2011, 10:54 PM
It could be you need to turn down your air my bubbles where too big kinda of like peas going up the neck, so they were bursting and not carrying up the stuff.
Does the neck get dirty?

moondoggy4, my skimmer (Reef Octopus XS-200) only has a gate valve to control water intake. I'm running it around 8.25", when Octopus recommends a range of 6"-10", I believe. The neck does get dirty - there is some dirty residue up at the very top, inside.

To induce skimming, try and add a few drops at a time of Novaqua. It works wonders. Be sure not to put to much in all at once. I have an RSB Classic with the Mazzei venturi, that works/skims fantastically. To induce wet foam I just add a few drops of the Novaqua to my 100 gallon tank. Works like a charm.

Thanks, 07 Sti. I'll look into that. Hadn't yet heard of it!

iwishtofish
04/15/2011, 09:06 AM
Just a bump for more ideas...

rjmayes34
04/15/2011, 11:05 AM
my old skimmer did this and it was my skimmer body and skimmer pump needed a good cleaning after that it worked great again! maybe your air intake is clogged??? Just thinking out loud

reeftivo
04/15/2011, 11:53 AM
How long has the skimmer been in operation?

Could be a variety of things.

Additives, feeding, new equipment in tank, hand oils from fiddling etc, etc.

Could also be the air intake is clogged so try running some hot RO water through the airline and let the skimmer suck it through. Mine gets salt and calcium carbonate build up from time to time and I run RO through mine weekly when I do my water change. Back when I had my Deltec I had to actually ream out the venturi with the blunt end of a drill bit every other week becuase I ran my Ca and Alk very high. Back then it would build quick.

iwishtofish
04/15/2011, 01:29 PM
my old skimmer did this and it was my skimmer body and skimmer pump needed a good cleaning after that it worked great again! maybe your air intake is clogged??? Just thinking out loud
I cleaned the body and neck out not too long ago, when I didn't really need to. Turned out most of the "dirt" was salt spray on the outside of the skimmer body. The air line appears to be clear - but I'll look more closely!

How long has the skimmer been in operation?

Could be a variety of things.

Additives, feeding, new equipment in tank, hand oils from fiddling etc, etc.

Could also be the air intake is clogged so try running some hot RO water through the airline and let the skimmer suck it through. Mine gets salt and calcium carbonate build up from time to time and I run RO through mine weekly when I do my water change. Back when I had my Deltec I had to actually ream out the venturi with the blunt end of a drill bit every other week becuase I ran my Ca and Alk very high. Back then it would build quick.

The skimmer has been running about 3 weeks. I always wear either an Aqua Glove, or powder free nitrile food/medical grade gloves when I put my hands in the tank.

All I've been dosing is MB7, and I just cycled with a piece of shrimp. I've also added some omnivorous pellets for the only occupants (12 hermits).

reeftivo
04/15/2011, 05:08 PM
How close is the pump intake from the bottom of the sump? Do you have it sideways or straight down?

If it's pointing down you may want to position the pump sideways as to relieve back pressure on the pump or raise it by setting it on an inch or two of eggcrate.

iwishtofish
04/15/2011, 07:12 PM
How close is the pump intake from the bottom of the sump? Do you have it sideways or straight down?

If it's pointing down you may want to position the pump sideways as to relieve back pressure on the pump or raise it by setting it on an inch or two of eggcrate.

It is oriented like this:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/almost06.jpg

I think the intake is on the bottom of the pump.

tkeracer619
04/15/2011, 07:57 PM
It might not have anything to skim but I think you should raise it an inch or two.

Did you use a bag? Is there a lot of bubbles coming from the overflow?

Can you turn the skimmer around 180deg?

iwishtofish
04/15/2011, 08:18 PM
It might not have anything to skim but I think you should raise it an inch or two.

Did you use a bag? Is there a lot of bubbles coming from the overflow?

Can you turn the skimmer around 180deg?

The bubbles from the drain pipe really aren't that bad, although the drain does empty right near the skimmer pump (I figured that was good). No bag, and it would be difficult, yet possible, to turn the skimmer around.

Here's a current picture (poor) of the drain pipe, etc.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb113/bjdoyle64/sump_latest.jpg

MHG
12/12/2012, 01:28 PM
I have the same issue with my NWB-110 skimmer from day 1... 13 months....I intermittantlu get big bubbles and good lift. I am thinking it is just nothing to skimm as all my levels are good and my tank is clear... I will try some of those drops....

Sacohen
12/12/2012, 01:46 PM
I do too, but I just thought it was a crappy skimmer.
I'm just using the skimmer that came with my Pro Clear Pro 75 Wet/Dry filter.
I figure if it came with the filter it can't be that great, besides there is no way to adjust the water or air input.
Water is taken from the first chamber of the sump and pumped into the skimmer the pump has a venturi for an airline that I put a small air valve on to try and get more or less air and get the foam set right, but I still really have nothing.
The neck is getting dirty though, but not much if any in the cup or overflow bottle.

leveldrummer
12/12/2012, 02:22 PM
it looks like the water level is WAY too deep, what does the company suggest to run that skimmer? there should be a suggested depth for the skimmer, and a suggested water height inside the body.

iwishtofish
12/12/2012, 04:07 PM
I have the same issue with my NWB-110 skimmer from day 1... 13 months....I intermittantlu get big bubbles and good lift. I am thinking it is just nothing to skimm as all my levels are good and my tank is clear... I will try some of those drops....

I do too, but I just thought it was a crappy skimmer.
I'm just using the skimmer that came with my Pro Clear Pro 75 Wet/Dry filter.
I figure if it came with the filter it can't be that great, besides there is no way to adjust the water or air input.
Water is taken from the first chamber of the sump and pumped into the skimmer the pump has a venturi for an airline that I put a small air valve on to try and get more or less air and get the foam set right, but I still really have nothing.
The neck is getting dirty though, but not much if any in the cup or overflow bottle.

it looks like the water level is WAY too deep, what does the company suggest to run that skimmer? there should be a suggested depth for the skimmer, and a suggested water height inside the body.

Tank and skimmer have been shut down since early summer. :) The skimmer did start foaming once the water got dirtier.

incloud
04/15/2018, 08:03 PM

Sorry to jump in but I am having intermittent issues with my 110 and wondered if you found any resolve?

fijisrfr
04/15/2018, 08:31 PM
Six years later.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MHG
04/16/2018, 06:08 AM
I think I eventually stopped chasing bubbles. Set it and forget it. It will have days of lw production.

Crowed
04/17/2018, 12:36 AM
Six years later.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still waiting for foam....