PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Point and Shoots

t4zalews
04/15/2011, 08:23 AM
So I'm in the market to get a camera for taking pictures of my tank and probably other things. I'm not spending thousands of dollars on a DSLR with different lenses. I'm comfortable with the 250-400 range for a good camera. I dont need 1000's of options just some basic but essential ones. Here's some that I may be interested in:

Sony Cyber-shot WX9

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX1

Canon Powershot SX130IS

Canon Powershot SX30IS

Pentax X90

Nikon Coolpix P500

If anyone has any experience with any of these cameras let me know.

eohlin
04/15/2011, 08:53 AM
I don't have any specific help to offer on the list below...but I would say you don't need to spend 1000's on a DSLR.

Have you considered the used market for a nice D40 or D40x by Nikon and a kit lens? The level of images you would get with that setup would far surpass any point and shoot style camera. If size is an issue...then that's a different story.

If you need a site to look at used hardware...take a look at: www.fredmiranda.com

If you are looking for some reviews on the camera's in general, this site is great for info and reviews: www.dpreview.com

Don't get caught up in the megapixel race...I shoot with a Nikon D700 and a D40...I've got some incredible shots with that little D40 that's are printed and hanging on my walls with kit lens.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck! If you have any questions....PM me any time.

eric

t4zalews
04/15/2011, 09:18 AM
I just looked up the Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens refurb. Would I need to buy a better lens than that for good aquarium shots? If this is all I need, I found one in a price that I would be willing to accept.

Size isnt an issue..I want a camera for more of a would want to take nice pictures as opposed to capture the moment type thing..thats what phone camera's are for

eohlin
04/15/2011, 10:51 AM
I just took a couple of quick snaps with the D40 and the kit lens...

In my opinion...you will be much happier with the D40 than any point and shoot. Plus, as time goes on, you could always add a nice macro lens and be set.

Here's a quick sample...

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n201/lohlin/DSC_5890.jpg

and

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n201/lohlin/DSC_5892.jpg

These were both taken with the D40 and 18-55 non-vr lens. ISO was set to 1600 to get my shutter speed up. No post processing at all.

Eric

t4zalews
04/15/2011, 12:01 PM
I think I'm going to go ahead and get the refurb Nikon D40. Been reading reviews all day and it sounds like this is what I'm looking for. Thanks for all the help eohlin.

eohlin
04/15/2011, 12:26 PM
Not a problem...so may have helped me...it's nice to be able to contribute.

Take a look at this guys site...he has some great e-books on nikon gear if you need some help.

www.bythom.com

Also...if you have any questions...shoot me a PM any time.

eric

t4zalews
04/21/2011, 09:14 PM
sweet...received my D40 on wednesday and I have to already send it out because it doesnt work like it should. It wont power up when I put in a memory card, and if it does...it either lets me take a couple pictures then freezes up, or it freezes up right away. At least I have a 90 day warranty from nikon for the refurb. Still pretty rediculous

dixiedog
05/27/2011, 10:29 AM
Bump.

Size is an issue for me. I've been seeing smartphone pics lately that are better than what my camera can do; what's up with that?? LOL

I need a PAS that can at least keep up with a smartphone!