PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Shrimp

critofer
04/15/2011, 07:39 PM
Hey guys,

I have a yellow watchmen goby and have wanted to get a pistol shrimp to go along with my goby. I have had the goby in my tank for about a year, if I added a pistol shrimp would they pairup or fight? Also, will a pistol shrimp kill my fish/other shrimp? I have:

-skunk cleaner
-blood shrimp
-2 clowns
-yellow watchmen goby
-spot mandarin

Would the Pistol attack these?

Also which is the best pistol? I would like one with good colors but want to get one that gets along with my goby.

Also anything else I should know will help too.

Thanks guys!

Critofer

UnusualSuspect
04/15/2011, 08:40 PM
Mine is a "candy stripe pistol (http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productdetail.asp?did=2&cid=84&pid=1221)" - very colorful. Red, white & yellow. He's still a juvenile, but I can't imagine him attacking anything. All he's interested in is pushing sand around, and he does this with great diligence. Like the Paul Simon song says - he's a one-trick pony, but he turns that trick with pride. :D

He paired immediately with my Steinitz goby, but I introduced them into the tank at the same time. I don't know if that matters or not.

critofer
04/16/2011, 06:51 AM
Okay thanks Mike, anyone else?

willybub
04/16/2011, 07:15 AM
pistol shrimp feed on shrimp in the wild so you have the chance of it killing any other shrimp you have

heres a cool video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uNUDtLCxj0

i had a blue leg pistol and it never paired with my yellow watchman. it wanted to but the watchman didnt it would always go up to the goby and touch it with its antenna and the goby would just take off, wanted nothing to do with him.

i fed mine brine shrimp and it loved it

critofer
04/16/2011, 07:41 AM
Yeah I Like the candy and blue leg, What about the Tiger pistol shrimp? They look cool.

risika67
04/16/2011, 08:06 AM
I have a Tiger Pistol Shrimp. I've had him for almost 6 years. He's never bothered any of my other tank inhabitants, unless you call decorating his burrow holes with old hermit shells when they change sizes. He finds them and brings them to his opening. I also have an Orange Spot Goby. I added him about 6 months after the shrimp and they found each other right away. The fish is out a lot more than the shrimp but they are buds. It's quite fun.

critofer
04/16/2011, 12:02 PM
Cool, Well I am stuck IDK if I should get a Blue leg, candy pistol, or a tiger.

Sugar Magnolia
04/16/2011, 04:27 PM
Tiger pistol owner here! Love, love, love this shrimp. It's a sand moving machine, and as another poster noted, it will use empty shells and rubble to construct entrances to it's burrow.

guppy74
04/16/2011, 04:57 PM
Willybub, after watching that video I think I figured out where my Peppermint shrimp went lol. But I do love my Tiger Pistol, he never stops digging he is very entertaining to watch. I can see the bottom of my tank and can watch him make his tunnels.

critofer
04/16/2011, 08:37 PM
Hmmm, I think I am gunna go with a tiger. Idk though, got to see what my LFS has in stock.

Polahbear
04/16/2011, 08:42 PM
I have a tiger pistol, and he has taken some shots at my peppermints, but only when they went into his lair. Nowadays nothing even tries. My Goby won't let anything else near the door.
My tiger pistol is my star of my tank.

DownwardDawg
04/16/2011, 08:56 PM
Mine killed my green brittle star. He didn't touch my other serpant star but he hated that green brittle. Shot him like an ak 47.

pompeyjohn
04/16/2011, 11:23 PM
I have a tiger as well, he is about the same size as my skunk cleaner shrimp who he appears to be afraid of. When they brush up against each other in the tank the tiger always scurries back.

I had a peppermint shrimp in the past, and I am pretty sure he killed him.

Bosco83
04/16/2011, 11:40 PM
I would get a Tiger Pistol Shrimp if you want it to pair up with your goby. I first got a Bullseye Pistol and was told it would pair up with my goby and never did. I later found out that Bullseye Pistols rarely ever pair up. So I got a Tiger Pistol and it paired with my goby like the first night. Also the goby was in the tank first without either of the shrimp for a while so I don't think it matters if they are added at the same time.

Brian

PR_Reefers
04/17/2011, 12:00 AM
Hope I'm not too late I have both a Randall's and Tiger Pistol shrimp!!
Yasha goby paired w/ randalls
high-fin goby paired w/tiger

The Randall's is by faaar the BEST IMO reason being the tiger shrimp thinks he's bulldozer and will move inches of sand from place to place.... he will completley cover & move acans... I cannot place anything around his home...!I hate it and have even considered if there's a way to kill it without compromising the rockwork:uzi:lol!!

The Randall's other than being a bit smaller is very tidy compared to his co-specimen... he will only dig the same entrance every morning and close it up at night and won't even disturb the sand around it!

Neither seem to bother any other tankmates they don't wander far from the burrows entrance.... I also have a cleaner shrimp & 2 harlequins shrimps

critofer
04/17/2011, 02:30 PM
Koool, from what you guys said it looks like I am gunna get a Tiger pistol.
Woot I am excited!

kjreiner72
04/17/2011, 10:08 PM
I have a hi-fin goby paired with a randalls candy pistol and I love to watch them. I don't like the tiger pistol as well as they get big and are not that pretty compared to a candy pistol. When I decided to get the pistol shrimp and goby I had my LFS introduce the two in one of there tanks to pair and then I took them home. They never leave each other. I have mine in a 12 gal tank with a clown fish, anemone shrimp ( that hosts by cabagge coral along with my clownfish), 6 sexy shrimp, and some crabs and snails and he has never bothered anything. He looks like a little piece of candy cane on the bottom of the tank and when he comes out to work on the burrow entrance you can't miss him he is so colorful. I think everybodies tastes are different and you just have to go with what appeals to your eye for your tank.