PDA

View Full Version : Basic setup issues

Bilk
04/16/2011, 09:22 AM
I'm not a programmer, but I was able to build the computer I'm working on now and a few others before, yet I'm having trouble with the initial setup of an Apex LOL I have it configured to run over the net, the time and date set. I flashed the firmware and updated the web interface, but I cannot get the damn thing programmed to do what should be very basic functions. I continually get alarms, which I cannot decipher what is triggering an alarm.

Is there anyone out there than can get me to a basic starting point? I have a total of eight devices - one of which is the dosing/ATO which can wait as the tank is still cycling and I can top off manually for now until I get a better understanding of what the heck I'm doing with the Apex.

Equipment that will be running off of the Apex are:

lights with two plugs - actinic and white
return pump
skimmer
heater
reactor
vortech

My lights keep going on and off and I get some alarm every few minutes. I have a temp, ph and orp probe connected as well.

Any help is appreciated. Mean while I'll try to get myself out of this mess :) In the old days I used those plastic times for Christmas tree lights. Ah I'm sure it's not as complicated as it appears, but I'm having trouble. Maybe there's an Apex users guide for dummies. I have the online guide but struggling.

Bilk
04/16/2011, 11:19 AM
I have this figured out. I now see that the corresponding "outlets" are not listed from the top of the outlet configuration screen. I assume the outlets listed from the top - var outlets - are virtual outlets and not physical outlets that correspond to the energy bar.

I do have one other question regarding programming a device that needs to run 3hrs on and 3hrs for the duration of 24 hours each day. Can someone tell me the programming sequence for this?

pyton
04/16/2011, 11:48 AM
Are you saying you want a total of 3 hours a day

Fallback OFF
If Time 08:00 to 11:00 Then ON

OR

run for 3 hours, off for 3 hours, and repeat?

Fallback OFF
OSC 180:00/180:00/000:00 Then ON

swearint
04/16/2011, 12:06 PM
I have this figured out. I now see that the corresponding "outlets" are not listed from the top of the outlet configuration screen. I assume the outlets listed from the top - var outlets - are virtual outlets and not physical outlets that correspond to the energy bar.

With an Apex (vs an Apex Lite) the first 7 "outlets" are the build-in features. There are 4 Variable Speed ports, then two Sound alarms, and finally Email. You can define up to four custom display pages and choose only the outlets you wish to see and in whatever order you wish. If you have not already, download the New User's Guide stickied at the top of the forum. It has loads of information on configuring and programming the Apex.

Todd

Bilk
04/16/2011, 12:23 PM
Hi Pyton and Todd. Thanks for your responses.

Pyton it's the second option. Thanks I'll give that a try. Yes the reactor needs to cycle for 3hrs on and 3hrs off for a 24 hr period thru the day. I need to learn the sequence of operations and the terms used for programming. Again thanks. This will get me started.

Todd I did download what you recommended the other day and tried applying that information. I should go back to it, but today I downloaded the one from Neptune's site and that seemed to me to be more clear. I still have questions, but at least as of this point, I have everything running and on schedule. I really need to learn the finer points of the controller, but for now and until I have livestock and a bioload, this will do. I'll learn more about feeding schedules and more importantly, how to hookup and operate the doser and ato. I have a breakout block for the ato. The ato has two float switches and will power a very small pump. I'll be dosing 2 part with a Bubble Magus dosing pump.

Again thanks for your help.

Bill

PS I didn't even look at the email options yet :)