PDA

View Full Version : Even if you think your doing it right!!!!!

RBU1
04/16/2011, 10:42 AM
All the fish in my main tank were treated with Cuprmaine with the exception of the Achilles Hybrid......I only observed him in QT for 8 weeks with no treatment because of the delicate nature of these fish. Well he is in my main tank now and guess what???????? He has been covered like that for the past 6 weeks.....So either my main tank had crypt all the time and the other fish never showed signs or crypt was hiding in the gills of this fish the entire 8 weeks it was in QT. Not sure if he will pulll thru this only time will tell..... he is still eating and swimming but looks horrible. If the crypt wipes out my tank I will be selling a 300 gallon tank.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/rbu1/Fish%20Disease/AchillesCrypt2.jpg

jcw
04/16/2011, 11:04 AM
3/27 in the ich poll thread you said the achilles had it and the angel had a little too.

today's 4/16

was there a period of time between when the ich fell off the fish and looked like you were OK?

I'm truly sorry for your situation. And understand where you are coming from.

RBU1
04/16/2011, 11:53 AM
It never went away on the tang. Seems to be getting worse. None of the other fish are bothered yet.

travis32
04/16/2011, 02:47 PM
Wow.. That looks just like a powder brown tang. I have one, that just went through 7 weeks of hypo. (See my thread in this forum. I just posted yesterday.)

The tang though doesn't have any visible spots to the naked eye. I have to press my face up to the glass and be within 3 to 4 inches of him, then I can see tiny bumps on both sides of his body with little white centers. The bumbps kinda glisten if one looks closely. It went through 7 weeks of less than 1.010SG water with calibrated refrac. I don't believe mine is ich based on the picture you posted. Mine doesn't have ANY visible white spots to the naked eye... Maybe in a few weeks it will I don't know.

Either way, I'm bordering on giving up as well. Keeping a tank free of ich seems to be impossible. Especially if it's immune to available treatments. I tested my water regularly and it was always around 1.006. IF it's immune to that. What if it's immune to copper?

Or well, I guess in my case, what if the tiny, nearly invisible bumps aren't ich and well are untreatable with copper and hypo....

One has to have a degree in marine biology and marine medicine to successfully keep fish it seems. SO, far, I'm in my second year of the salt water hobby. All I can keep successfully are corals, clams, and anemones. I can get sps to grow like crazy. Fish.. well, it seems to be nearly impossible to keep them healthy.

RBU1
04/16/2011, 05:33 PM
Its actually an achilles Hybrid not a powder brown. The tail fin is orange. I think it is possible to have an ich free tank just not easy.............

lhm nole
04/16/2011, 05:39 PM
Darn near impossible added some rock to reseed my tank due to prior cupramine treatment and had a few fish get crypt again

geaux xman
04/16/2011, 07:42 PM
sorry to see that man, that has got to be devastating feeling.

i dont trust in the observe only QT method no matter the duration. either hypo for 5-6 weeks or copper(.5ppm) for 3 weeks for me.

check with guys like copps, i would say hes about an expert as it gets when it comes to this hobby.

this is what he had in his 180g..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GO3aL...eature=related
Uploaded by ccampbell3257 on Jul 5, 2008

This is a short video of my 180 saltwater fish tank. Current stocklist is:

10" Emperor Angel
9" Blueface Angel
7" Queen Angel
3" Bandit Angel
9" Hippo Tang
7" Naso Tang
6.5" Male Blonde Naso Tang
5" Niger Trigger

I dont know how he QT his tang's, but he has mentioned for his angels, he does 30-45 days in cupramine. I would ask him on his suggestions for QT-ing tangs.

Read him talk about QT here
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956081&page=4

jcw
04/16/2011, 07:58 PM
I wish he would go into detail about his qt procedure.

size of tank, number of fish in qt, how he manages ammonia build up, does he use dt water, frequency and volume of water changes, filtering strategies, preferred treatment options.

So many questions for someone so successful at keeping an ich free tank.

RBU1
04/17/2011, 05:43 AM
I have spoken with copps several times. Like the title says.....When you think you are dong everything right. Copps uses Cupramine on everything. I had bad luck with Cupramine killing ablack tang so i did not want to try it again. Figured a long QT would work just as well.....My feeling is it made its way into the main tank on one of the fish that went thru the Cupramine. I might not have had the level perfect.......Who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!

jcw
04/17/2011, 06:04 AM
I have spoken with copps several times. Like the title says.....When you think you are dong everything right. Copps uses Cupramine on everything. I had bad luck with Cupramine killing ablack tang so i did not want to try it again. Figured a long QT would work just as well.....My feeling is it made its way into the main tank on one of the fish that went thru the Cupramine. I might not have had the level perfect.......Who knows!!!!!!!!!!!!

why not the achilles that wasn't qt'd? that would be my first guess, no?

You say you think you are doing everything right but you broke qt protocol with the achilles, you compromised figuring a long qt would be ok instead of cupramine, and now you think you might not have had cupramine at the right level.

I've made mistakes too, and that's why I'm in my situation. But I realize them and act to correct them or else I accept the consequences. No?

I'm really trying to take some good from a bad situation. Copps is an excellent example for how it COULD be done and done right. An ich free tank is NOT impossible.

At this point, I'm almost resigned to the fact that 1) you must qt and treat and 2) you will lose fish in qt and treatment until you perfect your technique.

RBU1
04/17/2011, 04:14 PM
I am dealing with my consequences. Letting things be and if all else fails move on to another hobby. Like none........

badstraw
04/17/2011, 10:33 PM
Im terribly sorry... I have the same problem, Im not able to keep any fish healthy, the corals I have are growing and everything, but every fish I got just wont survive.
Hereīs an example:
I exchanged corals for a pair of clownfish, they were 6 months old, my friend havenīt had any problems with them, but now they got sick only 10 days after I placed them in my DT.
I havent had any fish at all since december, how can you explain that? Do you know how they could get infected?

i wouldnīt like to sell everything..I feel you man

Check this out http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2006821