PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED Help

jag200k
04/17/2011, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

In regards with the LED setup, I am really interested in doing one for my reef. But the issue is i am a

complete noob in this. I really would appreciate some advise from you experts.

Please find below the details of my tank.

Length: 24 inches
Breadth: 15.5 inches
Height: 23 inches

It is a 30 gallon tank.

I am looking forward to keep sps in my tank. I do have a zoa frag which is doing well as i have kept it

near the light.

Currently i am using T5 for my setup 4 x 8 watts (2 blue and 2 white) .

A few question which came in my mind.

1. How many LED do i require for my setup.

2. What driver i need to use for them

3. Do i need a dimmer.

4. How many degree optics i need to use.

5. What is the thickness of heatsink i need to use.

The above are just a few things that cam in my mind.

Would really appreciate if someone helps me with the data. Also i live in UAE where many of the

equipments are not available so will need to use something’s easily available or alternatives

Thanks in advance

realtime3d
04/17/2011, 08:07 PM
You might consider following this (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2007493) thread of a similar tank size.

It answers some of the LED quantity, ratios, drivers and optics you're asking. With that build you still have some headroom on the white string for some added brightness. You don't *need* a dimmer but it does allow you to fine tune the mixture of whites and blues to get color look you're after. As for heatsink, unless you're going to drive the LEDs near their maximum current, I'd suggest going for aluminum U channel available at hardware stores. It's lighter, widely available and probably a little bit less expensive.

jag200k
04/18/2011, 05:21 AM
Hi realtime,

many thanks for your reply and advise will definitely consider your suggestion.

thanks

TheFishMan65
04/18/2011, 05:52 AM
My home page has a link to an LED summary. It should answer these and many other questions. Any that aren't ask and I will see what I can do.