PDA

View Full Version : Why do we use blue lights for "moonlights"?

Gahngoo
04/18/2011, 12:29 AM
I'm currently building a DIY LED fixture to replace my T5 fixture. My other fixture has moonlights. I thought I might put some on the LED fixture too.

Then I got to thinking:idea:, why are all the moonlights blue? I mean, the moon isn't blue. It's got kind of a grey hue to it. I was thinking about using white LEDs that have been sprayed with a dark tinted paint (to give a dim greyish light) or some other sort of muted pale light.

Any opinions or suggestions?

Blown 346
04/18/2011, 02:58 AM
Blue moonlights give off a similar effect in the ocean at night. Some say they have a benefit for corals. They are mainly used for viewing pleasure for you at night.

snorvich
04/18/2011, 05:47 AM
When diving at night the effect of the moon is blueish. I only run my moonlights until 10 PM

Gold Stripe
04/18/2011, 10:47 AM
My understanding is that the blue light travels deeper into the water than other spectrums. Since our tank is only 2 feet deep and the ocean is, well, deeper, we give the light a little help by going ahead and using blue light since there isnt enough water in our tank to filter out the other spectrums.

We use whiter light during the day because the sun is quite a bit brighter than the moon so its light travels deeper before it is filtered to blue.

kjreiner72
04/18/2011, 02:38 PM
Very interesting. I thought about the blue to. But the corals look so good under them I never gave it a second thought.

snorvich
04/18/2011, 03:50 PM
Very interesting. I thought about the blue to. But the corals look so good under them I never gave it a second thought.

I think some folks use royal blue which has an even more interesting look. But for that you need LED of that coloration.

Gahngoo
04/18/2011, 11:53 PM
I have used royal blue LEDs too, but I was just wondering what the thought process was. I know about blue spectrum at depth, but I just figured that the moon is so dim, that it would not make it to any depth anyway. Just a thought. Thanks for the replies.:wave:

docstomper
04/19/2011, 12:01 PM
I usually stand in front of my tank in my Three Wolf Moon T-shirt. My MH's reflect off the moon and My corals start really get good extension...

Lol, I couldnt help it.

Bad LS1
04/19/2011, 02:05 PM
I usually stand in front of my tank in my Three Wolf Moon T-shirt. My MH's reflect off the moon and My corals start really get good extension...

Lol, I couldnt help it.

There has to be a "once in a blue moon" joke in here somewhere. :D