PDA

View Full Version : Red macro ID

slurik
04/18/2011, 11:43 AM
Hi folks, I've had this macro in my system for almost a year, and ive been propagating it here and there and have ended up with 4 balls of this stuff about the size of a grapefruit or larger.

I looked in the ID pages listed in the sticky, but was unable to confortably say it was any of them. Through google searches ive found that "Red Titan" looks quite similar, but not as lettuce-y as mine seems to be.

I also found one called Gracilaria curtissae, which seems to follow the branching structure much more accurately, however it looks to be far more pink than mine is. I would appreciate if anyone could confirm if it would be Gracilaria curtissae or not, as im sure that the lumps of these algaes can differ through photos, and since ive only ever seen that which I have on hand, perhaps someone with experience can vouch for a name.

I've uploaded a photo, unfortunately it is with my mobile phone, so the photo is somewhat grainy and for this i apologize, however its all i have to work with.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29531

I will do my best to describe this as noted in the sticky.

This mop of macroalgae is approx 9" long, and 4" wide in this photo. I lifted it up from the substrate to get a well lit photo of it, on the substrate it was about the size of a grapefruit, then stretched out as i lifted it, as it easily connects to rocks on the substrate. This algae also seems to grow into a spherical shape as a single mass, instead of spreading outwards like others do.

I would definitely call this a non-invasive algae also, as its taken a year for it to get to a state where i have no room for it and am considering discarding some.

Have you ever accidentally irritated a discosoma and seen them push out their guts in a strange ribbon which seems to be layed out as a series of paralelle structures? This macroalgae seems to follow a similar geometrical shape as it grows, it seems to fold in on itself, which is what would leave it growing as a mass rather than reaching out.

Even in the photo, the algae looks much brighter than it is due to holding it up to light. My previous photos which had it on the substrate left it unnoticable and with absolutely no detail. I say this to emphasize that it is infact a deep deep red, you may even call it more of a redish purple. Most algaes that seem to .. look.. like this one appear far more pink, and less red.

I know these are horrible analogies, but I dont want to find my friends and other hobbiests bummed out saying things like "Oh man i would have loved some of that in my system!". About 3 months ago I stripped my system of about 250 stalks of Neomeris annulata, i thought they were pretty dumb looking...oops >_< seems they're rather sought after out here...

Any help would be appreciated, if the photograph is inadequate i can try to take more for you, or if any description that could help which i may have missed is needed please just ask..

Thanks in advance for any help identifying this, and more importantly determining its value to other aquarists.

Cheers

*EDIT* I've taken in a piece of this to my LFS, the best answer i was given was "Some kind of kelp", so I've tried reaching out to people in my local area for this.

MagikSurfman
04/20/2011, 04:18 AM
try a better pic, maybe pull a small branch out and put it on the table top with a white background to contrast. Algaebase.org is a good place to look, i can help with a better pic.

Sugar Magnolia
04/20/2011, 07:16 AM
Have a look through here - http://www.saltcorner.com/AquariumLibrary/browsesectiongroups.php?SectionID=17

slurik
04/20/2011, 02:48 PM
I found a friend whos going to pop a shot of it on a table with their DSLR. So I'll get you guys a better photo to go on. As for the link provided, I had a gander through there already which is what gave me the idea it may possibly be Gracilaria curtissae, the image provided for that species on that site looks similar in its branching, though the branching doesnt seem to be as close together as mine is, and as mine are in large mops it was hard for me to determine if it would share the same reticulation. Moreso, mine seems a much deeper red than this species, but this may just be from the photo taken or the camera. *shrug

I'll get back with a better photo, including it sitting as a mop to show the reticulation and also with it stretched out to show its branching, beside a ruler for size comparison. Ty for your help guys/gals.

slurik
04/23/2011, 08:03 PM
As promised heres some much better detailed photos of the macroalgae.
Dimensions: approx 2.5cmx2.5cm
This is a piece of grow off to show how it branches out.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29854

Dimensions: approx 7cmx7cm
Here is a shot of a decent lump of the algae.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29853

A shot of the center portion of the matt.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29852

Another shot of the center portion of the matt.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29851

Dimensions approx 2.5cmx2.5cm
Another closeup.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4300&pictureid=29850

Just a note, these photos are out of water, on a kitchen countertop. I had to take some out of my home for photos, so theres no high powered lights or any fancy colour temperatures going on, just daylight in a big cereal bowl.

Thank you everyone again for your help ID'n this.

slurik
04/27/2011, 05:52 PM
I'd like to also point out, and bump this for the attention sake that im fairly colour blind. I really could be missing something right infront of my face. So if its a silly question to ask the species please be patient with me, i do have trouble differentiating colours.

AuroraDrvr
04/27/2011, 07:47 PM
It looks like one of the bushy Gracilaria sp. of algae. I couldn't pinpoint a specific species, though.

How much flow is it in? I have a feeling a lot of the "twist" is a result of flow.

slurik
04/27/2011, 10:17 PM
The flow is very low, it was always looking like this though. Its not "everywhere" in my system, its very easily controlled, but ive spread pieces about everywhere that flow would vary over the last year to obtain such large amounts of it, and its not deviated from that shape/twisting/branching. Im going to actually have to remove 90 % of it to suit my interests and its actually impeding flow. The mass of it I have is about 1.5 feet long, 7-10" high, and 7-10" wide.

My clowns breed behind it and i want to see if i can control their spawns so that i can remove the spawning media. To do this i need to stop them from spawning on the back glass in this forest of macro. I'm hoping i can figure out what it is, and maybe find some people who would trade other nice macros for it, or maybe cut a deal with my LFS knowing what I have on hand before try to find any kind of offer where i could get ripped off .

I received this as a present on a 1" plug probably more like 2 years ago. She told me that she never really succeeded in making it grow, and was amazed at how much i made it grow and i gave her a big lump of it prolly about a pound or more.

Ultimately, I dont really care the species name for anything other than curiosity, but I'd really like to know if this is worth hanging onto or tossing in the trash.

I saw people selling the red titan species as mentioned on ebay for 8 dollars per cubic inch... Seems excessive to me, but if its actually worth that i certainly dont want to throw it out.

AuroraDrvr
04/28/2011, 12:53 AM
It definitely could be Titan algae.

It's certainly worth something to someone. Throw it up on the Classifieds, I am sure you will get some hits. A small 2-3" ball could go for $10, IMHO.

djkms
04/28/2011, 12:35 PM
I dont agree on it being Titan. Titan is one of my slowest growers in my tank. When it does grow it grows up not out. From looking at those pictures it appears to grow outwards. My guess is Red Bush Hayi (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180605448956&si=xF82fBawwOApx%252BiX3r0h1nZQf00%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ACOSI%3AUS%3A1123). Red bush grows really really fast for me, faster than any macro actually and it grows out not up. Here is a pic of it in my tank - big red bush in the middle:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_cqs0-6HYV5I/TaZc_ASRNnI/AAAAAAAACKs/WadriNlLeO0/s912/DSC01427.JPG
Red titan is on the bottom right next to the caulerpa prolifera and right below my Bellus Angel on the bottom left. See how the Titan grows up and the bush grows out.

slurik
04/29/2011, 04:30 AM
Its a bit tricky to see in your photo, and i had a peek at the auction shown. Unfortunately I'm going to have to say again it looks different, although i have found a lead. In scubabum1983's thread http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1905760 . I believe i see it in his first photograph in the top right quarter of the photo. I'm going to toss them a pm to see if they can shed light on it. In a sense i dont know how to gage the speed of growth only having it for 2 years, and only having a couple macros: Cheato, earlier on i had some grape calupera that grew VERY fast. I've pulled it all out of my tank and placed it into a 6 US Gallon bucket, and it fills it about halfway when i squash it down... So i do have way way way more than i need or want >_<.

Also I've never sold anything on this forum, or to anyone from my system, let alone had to mail it out. Could you give me some etiquette tips? And what "standard" shipping methods are used for macros in the classified forums?

slurik
04/29/2011, 04:47 AM
I tried to look into the selling thing, and on here it seems its restricted to reef club forums? The bad news is im a canuck, and there are no reef club forums for canadians..

djkms
04/29/2011, 09:19 AM
You need to have 50 posts minimum in order to sell on Reef Central. I have about 20 or so different macros I can compare it against if you want to send me a sample. If you want some pointers on selling macros shoot me a PM. You can get to 50 posts in no time.

slurik
04/29/2011, 04:08 PM
I'm usually more of a reader of the forums, i enjoy searching and reading... As you can see in a year i spanked like 15 posts... Either way I'll just start voicing up on some threads and as you say i can hit 50 in no time. I'll be glad to send you a sample, throw me a PM with your address and ill send it tomorrow. I dont think I'd catch the post office tonight since its already 6pm. Please tell me though how to package it, I have fish bags, zip locks, etc. I've never sent macros through mail, i imagine they're fairly robust to shipping abuse though..

djkms
04/29/2011, 04:18 PM
Macros ship pretty well as long as the temperatures are good. They usually dont fare well in the winter but spring-fall should be no problem. Its always best to ship monday-wednesday so the box doesn't sit in transit longer than needs be.

I find the best way to ship is using the flat rate boxes from USPS. This one here:
Priority Mail Small Flat Rate Box $5.20 8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" (http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm)

I heat pack is probably not necessary, the weather has been warm across the states. You can probably just put the macro in a bag and wrap the bag in paper towels and send it on its way. Some people send the bag full of water, some places send it with no water and some with just a little bit of water to keep it moist. IMO/IME macros seem to do best shipped in just a tiny bit of water to keep it moist, not totally dry but not totally submerged.

Hope that helps :)

slurik
04/30/2011, 02:25 PM
Sweet, I'll do it through ups, they have a depot basically in my back yard.