PDA

View Full Version : Hippo aka Regal Blue tangs must be the Jack Russell of fish.

glenns
04/18/2011, 07:56 PM
Hippo aka Regal Blue tangs must be the Jack Russell of fish. Mine is a complete nut. He runs and hides when I come in the room. Even if I've been there a while, if I move, he's gone. Or he'll race over to the nori magnet take some bites and run and hide. He never just casually swims around. He has two speeds, jack rabbit and dead stop. Is this normal for these fish or should I find him a new home?

boilermaker1
04/18/2011, 08:33 PM
depending on how big he is, and assuming your 90 is the tank he's in, its probably too small. I had a hippo in a 90 for a short while and quickly realized it wasnt enough. Once I put him in a 180, he mellowed out a lot.

glenns
04/18/2011, 09:40 PM
Well, right now he is in the 50 QT. He is about 4". He has grown about an 1.5" in the year I've had him. I may find him a new home instead of moving him back to the 90. Once in there it will be almost impossible to catch him. But he has mainly been flighty since being moved to QT.

I see so many of these fish in trade. I think I read somewhere they are captive bread. Is that true?

125G Reefer
04/18/2011, 10:11 PM
By reading, I'm just going to guess here. You just moved him to your QT for some reason? Most fish will go bug out once moved or caught? Or are you saying that you've had him for a 1.5 years in a 50qt? I'm a bit confused. Then again, it does say " instead of moving him back ", so, you did have him in the 90g, spooked the crap outta him when you moved him. He's gonna be jumpy for a bit.

glenns
04/18/2011, 10:15 PM
By reading, I'm just going to guess here. You just moved him to your QT for some reason? Most fish will go bug out once moved or caught? Or are you saying that you've had him for a 1.5 years in a 50qt? I'm a bit confused. Then again, it does say " instead of moving him back ", so, you did have him in the 90g, spooked the crap outta him when you moved him. He's gonna be jumpy for a bit.

I moved him and my other fish a month ago. I had a trash paly infestation, so I was starting over with new Marco Rock. So I'm bring that to life in my DT now. I could probably start moving them, but I want to run 8 - 10 wks fallow to kill what ich is in my DT.