PDA

View Full Version : 4+ Weeks In To Cycle

cm11599ps
04/18/2011, 10:20 PM
I started my tank just over 4 weeks ago with all dry rock and dry sand and two pieces of raw shrimp. My ammonia showed up the next day and peaked at about 8 about 7-10 days after startup.

About 2 weeks after startup my ammonia levels dropped and nitrite began to rise. My tank also began to get some green algae and the water turned a little cloudy.

Last week I tossed two balls of chaeto in my fuge with DSB. Just before I tossed the Chaeto in I noticed some diatoms. Since then my ammonia is nearly zero but nitrite has been reading off the chart for over 2 weeks. Nitrate seems to have stayed the same at about 10-20. I wonder if it would have risen without the chaeto. FWIW, my chaeto has shown noticeable growth. My water has been crystal clear for the past 2 days and this afternoon I threw some ROX carbon in a reactor.

There's nothing in the tank except for some brittle stars and whatever pods came with the macro. I've seen a few amphipods. Once I added the Chaeto I tossed the cycling shrimp in the fuge. The stars seem to be fine and I see them moving around.

I'm just really anxious to get something in the tank. My ammonia peaked and was under 1 in just over a week. That's why it's so frustrating that my nitrite hasn't seemed to budge in over 2 weeks now. I was happy to see the water clear up so I got so excite when testing expecting to see a decrease in nitrites.

Should I just continue to wait it out? I was planning on getting a small piece of LR eventually to get some coraline. Should I get a piece now or wait till I finish cycling?

Essense
04/18/2011, 10:25 PM
Perhaps the nitrite test is bad? You can try a 25% WC and test again. WC during cycle some people stand behind as good practice regardless.

cm11599ps
04/18/2011, 10:30 PM
Perhaps the nitrite test is bad? You can try a 25% WC and test again. WC during cycle some people stand behind as good practice regardless.

It's a brand new test and I was testing every 3 days. It was clearly evident when the nitrite began to rise, especially since it coincided with the drop in ammonia.

thegrun
04/18/2011, 10:32 PM
I would add the live rock as soon as possible. Depending on the condition of the live rock and the amount, it may well start another cycle. +1 on the possibility of a bad nitrite test kit. Take a sample to your local fish store and have them test for nitrites. A 2 weeks wait for nitrites to drop is not usual, but not rare either. Since your ammonia level has dropped, I would not bother with a water change until the nitrites drop.