PDA

View Full Version : another teddy bear crab! no red eyes!

johnny313
04/19/2011, 10:05 PM
I found one teddy bear crab last week... managed to put it in my sump. just now I found another one in the tank. I removed the piece of LR and now they are both in the 55 gallon sump. I looked online and noticed teddy bear crabs have red eyes, but the 2 i have, have black eyes....

are these still dangerous to keep in a reef?

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f59/johnny505/CommonHairyCrab.jpg

jwoyshnar
04/20/2011, 05:08 AM
They could potentially. A friend had one. It behaved for a little while. Then snail shells started showing up in front of its cave, then corals started disappearing. Then one day he seen the crab dragging a coral into its cave, That was the end of it.

Sugar Magnolia
04/20/2011, 06:31 AM
Definitely not reef safe. They don't really cause much trouble when small but do get very destructive as they grow.

johnny313
04/20/2011, 08:05 AM
They could potentially. A friend had one. It behaved for a little while. Then snail shells started showing up in front of its cave, then corals started disappearing. Then one day he seen the crab dragging a coral into its cave, That was the end of it.

Thats crazy you say that.... I just put about 20 hermits in the tank and every night I see empty shells near this one rock. Last week I found one crab and I thought it was over, but last night I got out my flashlight and one was out and ran in a piece of live rock. so now they are reunited in my sump!