PDA

View Full Version : Tang Fin Rot?

Kfig7
04/21/2011, 09:04 AM
Question about my Yellow eyed Kole Tang. Seems as if he has some sort of tail fin problem. Not sure if its fin rot or something else. Pics are pretty blurry but you can see how the fin is not right. Any ideas?

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/kfig7/IMAG0032.jpg

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq320/kfig7/IMAG0031.jpg

Other than that tail fin, he is acting normal. Eating fine and constantly grazing the rocks and sand. The only thing I'm concerned about is what he eats. He wont touch any nori. Pretty much the only thing he eats is brine shrimp so I use spirulina brine shrimp and also add selcon to it. He wont touch mysis, pellets, flake or anything else. Any ideas on what food to try?

Its a 90 gallon tank and all water levels are pretty much perfect.

artman18944
04/21/2011, 10:23 AM
he needs more greens in his diet....one of the first things you will notice when tangs are not getting what they require in their diet is problems with their fins...try getting a green based pellet like formula 2 from ocean nutritions and keep offering the nori...good luck

Kfig7
04/21/2011, 02:48 PM
he needs more greens in his diet....one of the first things you will notice when tangs are not getting what they require in their diet is problems with their fins...try getting a green based pellet like formula 2 from ocean nutritions and keep offering the nori...good luck

I figured that was the problem but I'm out of ideas. He just wont touch anything. Ive tried three different types of nori, formula 2 veggie flakes, veggie pellets, macro algae and he just wont eat it. I'm at a loss here and just don't know what to do.

glenns
04/21/2011, 04:21 PM
Have you tried soaking the Nori in garlic? What about using it to strap some to a piece of rubble rock?

I had a Yellow Tang many years ago, whose dorsal wasted away. That was from HLLE, due to water conditions and diet. I assume Ammonia & Nitrite are 0. What is your Nitrate levels?

Kfig7
04/21/2011, 05:27 PM
Have you tried soaking the Nori in garlic? What about using it to strap some to a piece of rubble rock?

I had a Yellow Tang many years ago, whose dorsal wasted away. That was from HLLE, due to water conditions and diet. I assume Ammonia & Nitrite are 0. What is your Nitrate levels?

Nitrates are around 5ppm or less. I tried the Nori on a rock, a clip and breaking it up in little pieces. Also soaked it in garlic. None of which work. Going to not feed the tank for a few days and maybe he will be so hungry he has to eat the nori. Oh and all the other fish and coral are just fine. Like I said the parameters are as close to perfect as you can get. Cant believe he wont touch any veggy food.

Tang tank
04/21/2011, 05:56 PM
How long have you had the fish? Sometimes fish can take several days before going to the clip for algae. Maybe longer if there isn't a fish in the tank now eating from the clips. Also what are it's tank mates?

BettaGirl
04/21/2011, 06:11 PM
If you are close to the beach you can collect some sea lettuce, do a 5 min freshwater dip and than feed that, my fish go crazy for that. My tangs also enjoy broccoli florets.... Even though it is not an aquatic plant it does offer some nutrition. Do you have carbon on your system? If so, I recommend removing the carbon, I have seen many fish develop HLLE and tattered fins because of carbon.

Kfig7
04/21/2011, 07:35 PM
Tank mates are Royal Gramma, 2 False Percs, Firefish, Green Chromis and 2 Skunk Shrimp. Hes been in the tank for about a month now.

I do live near the beach so maybe I'll give the sea lettuce a shot. Thanks.