PDA

View Full Version : DT1516 Skimmer

Raven1645
04/21/2011, 09:44 AM
I found a skimmer called BOYU DT1516 (external; in sump) and I was wondering if it's a good one.

Here are some details i copied from their site:

Features

External sump protein skimmer
1850 L/H needle wheel venturi pump
Adjustable flow rate
Overflow pipe to avoid spillage
Detachable collection cup for easy cleaning
Low noise, high output

Specifications

For tanks up to 1000 Litres
Pump flow rate: 1850 L/H
Power: 35w
Dimensiions: 207x186x600mm
Voltage: 220- 240v
Power: 20w
12 Months warranty

Here's a video of it working.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9PbGclLnLA

I've never had a protein skimmer (as my first aquarium isn't built yet), so I have no idea if it's a good one.
My tank will be 750 litres.
As I will built my overflow and sump myself, I can design those to fit the filtration.

Please help me out!

Raven1645
04/21/2011, 09:48 AM
My sump is going to be like this design:

My refugium will house mangroves.

Raven1645
04/21/2011, 01:59 PM

Vinny Tang
04/21/2011, 02:14 PM
I wouldnt buy anything BOYU or JEBO.. Spend a few extra bucks and look into a Vertex IN model. They are a good mid range price skimmer

Raven1645
04/21/2011, 02:30 PM
I wouldnt buy anything BOYU or JEBO.. Spend a few extra bucks and look into a Vertex IN model. They are a good mid range price skimmer

Could you please explain why not to choose anything from BOYU?

tkeracer619
04/21/2011, 02:58 PM
The stuff is cheap for a reason.

Also, if your in the USA that skimmer won't work on home power without having an electrician come out and install a 220 plug. Might as well buy a bubble king at that point.

Why do they have two power ratings in the specs? 35w and 20w?

Also. I have my suspicions that whoever shot that youtube video dumped already collected skimmate into the skimmer after cleaning to make it foam up like that.

Raven1645
04/22/2011, 01:40 AM
The stuff is cheap for a reason.

Also, if your in the USA that skimmer won't work on home power without having an electrician come out and install a 220 plug. Might as well buy a bubble king at that point.

Why do they have two power ratings in the specs? 35w and 20w?

Also. I have my suspicions that whoever shot that youtube video dumped already collected skimmate into the skimmer after cleaning to make it foam up like that.

I live in Europe and this skimmer works on the regular power supply.
I do agree with your quote 'stuff is cheap for a reason', that was why I was asking if it was a good one.
The two wattages is for the pump and te skimmer itself, I believe (I saw it nited like this in anotger site aswell).
As for the video, I don't think that what you say is correct because this video isn't in any way connected to sellers.

popsock
06/24/2011, 03:51 PM
So what did you get in the end? I've been using a BOYU for the past year and it's faultless. Yes it's cheap plastic, but then I don't use it as a football. The pump's still running well, no issues. Considering the price, pretty fantastic.

I'm not usually a fan of cheap gear, but this has surprised me, the design is really good too. You could easily pay 10 times as much and not have much to show for it.

Cheers

Raven1645
06/25/2011, 05:08 PM
So what did you get in the end? I've been using a BOYU for the past year and it's faultless. Yes it's cheap plastic, but then I don't use it as a football. The pump's still running well, no issues. Considering the price, pretty fantastic.

I'm not usually a fan of cheap gear, but this has surprised me, the design is really good too. You could easily pay 10 times as much and not have much to show for it.

Cheers

Thanks,
I still haven't started building my aquarium as my new room (where it'll be situated) is still under construction.
I was getting the cheap one anyway as I'll be using mangroves which will render skimmers almost useless on the aspect of nitrate reduction, so I don't really need an expensive one, but your post made me more confident of its abilities!

popsock
07/19/2011, 03:06 PM
Hi, I've got four BOYUs running now, excellent all of them. I really don't think I'd ever bother with another brand. The quality has improved hugely the past few years. The days are paying through the nose for "top-quality plastic" are well over for me.