PDA

View Full Version : DIY LED Dimming - Any better alternatives than meanwell?

jbrunken
04/21/2011, 05:53 PM
Hey all,

Just put together my first DIY LED fixture and I'm really happy with it except for one issue. I used the meanwell ELN-60-48D drivers and while they work great most of the time, they fall short when it comes to low power dimming.

The meanwells cut off completely at about 10%. This is too bright for moonlights and I can't achieve the gradual ramp up from no-light to full power that I'm looking for. There is always an abrupt change in lighting when one of the drivers comes on.

Are there any drivers out there that provide better control at lower levels of power?

Thanks all.

widmer
04/21/2011, 11:10 PM
Are you using a 9v or a 10v supply to dim it? Your dimming resolution should increase with a 10v supply.

Also, the buck pucks @ LEDsupply.com have apparently infinite dimming abilities, though the cost more to purchase @ $20 per buck puck that drives 6 LEDs..

jbrunken
04/22/2011, 12:14 PM
I'm using a 10V supply. I'm using the variable speed ports on my Apex, but I also have a 10V supply. In both cases, the drivers cut off completely before the lights get very dim at all.

Thanks for the tip on the buck pucks... Those look interesting, but expensive and perhaps too complex for a large array of LED's.

I'd love to have something that works like but bp's but in the same easy to use form as the mean wells...

ufoman420
04/22/2011, 12:43 PM
I think you just wire all the dimming in series and connect to 1 or 2 pots depending on if you want blue and white dimmable. I might be wrong but i think that is how the buckpucks work.

Qwiv
04/22/2011, 12:58 PM
Are you using a 9v or a 10v supply to dim it? Your dimming resolution should increase with a 10v supply.

Also, the buck pucks @ LEDsupply.com have apparently infinite dimming abilities, though the cost more to purchase @ $20 per buck puck that drives 6 LEDs..

What power supply you are using 10v vs 9v vs. resolution is completely false on the low range. and the BuckPucks have the same issue with only slightly better performance.

OP, getting your dimming from 0-10% is a huge challenge for LED fixtures. The HP Leds will not fire at all or will flicker at these levels. We solve the issue with a second fixture that is of fewer leds or lower power. Ads complexity.

MHG
08/07/2011, 09:05 AM
I have the same exact issue? did you find a solution? I have 12 LED's per string and esing a 6 LED driver would mean I need to re-wire my hole setup...

I was wondering is adding a resistor would cut down whatever the moonlight driver is putting out to give the 10% turn on power down to a very dim moonlight. I would guess it would need to be a very high watt resistor or it will get hot as hell...