PDA

View Full Version : I'm loosing my mind? Hair algae problem please help

Njhc
04/21/2011, 07:47 PM
I can't get rid of it! Hair algea over my cleaning 1.5 yr old tank Water changes, phosban, peroxide, toothbrush, more water changes, less light, more water changes! No nitrate nitrites phosphates! Help!!! It's growing on coral over everything it all started with my halides 20k's and t5's blue plus I always has blue and actinic but since going SPS went with 300w halides in a 46g bowfront . Any secretes I lowered light time to 10hrs from 12 done it all help!

trondsbr
04/21/2011, 07:50 PM
Turf scrubber, better clean up crew variety, or a sea hare may work for you. I have had good luck with all three of those choices. Some common clean up crews don't work on hair algae, you'll have to research the ones that focus primarily on hair algae. They are out there.

sasscuba
04/21/2011, 08:16 PM
I can't get rid of it! Hair algea over my cleaning 1.5 yr old tank Water changes, phosban, peroxide, toothbrush, more water changes, less light, more water changes! No nitrate nitrites phosphates! Help!!! It's growing on coral over everything it all started with my halides 20k's and t5's blue plus I always has blue and actinic but since going SPS went with 300w halides in a 46g bowfront . Any secretes I lowered light time to 10hrs from 12 done it all help!

Have you run a phosban reactor 24/7? I used a sea hare when I had it bad and then put a phosban reactor on it and have not had any for over 4 years.

Lynnmw1208
04/21/2011, 09:43 PM
do you run GFO? you could be seeing 0 phosphates because the algae is eating it. I was seeing pretty low phosphate numbers with all my HA, got GFO reactor and now it's definitely 0 and it's dying.

margarita snails, astrea snails and zebra, red tip and some brown hermits may help.

you could also try 3 days lights out. cover the sides of the tank even with posterboard. I hear this helps out a lot of people.

willandmelsreef
04/22/2011, 05:41 AM
sea hare' are very good....go with 6hrs of light per day for 2 weeks

Octoman
04/22/2011, 06:47 AM
What are TDS and phosphate readings on your RO/DI water?

greech
04/22/2011, 08:25 AM
+1 to verifying RO/DI TDS and probably check that for phosphates and nitrates. I see you have 3 tanks, are you seeing anything similar in the other 2? Are you ceratin it is GHA and not some other type of alage? Possibly bryopsis? Mention that because I have never seen GHA grow specifically on corals. Not saying it doesn't happen, I have just never seen it.

Gary Majchrzak
04/22/2011, 08:30 AM
300w halides in a 46g bowfront!accuracy is always needed to obtain meaningful replies.

Every single reekeeper has to battle "hair algae".
It's not the lighting- you have something in the water fueling the algae growth.

You mentioned a lot of things but never mentioned if you're using RO water or running a skimmer!
If using RO what is it's TDS?