PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of this glass haze?

bobpiker
04/22/2011, 05:13 AM
I purchased a slightly used 112gallon a few months ago and was happy that it didn't have any scratches. I finally have my stand built an had a friend help me carry and lift this beast up. Up to now, it was stored in my garage but looking at it up close for the first time I noticed what appeared to be a leftover film on the inside of the glass. I was sure a vinegar bath would remove it but it didn't.

So, I got ou my window scraper and it didn't have any effect either.

Please tell me there is something that can get this stuff off. I can just feel it with my fingers but it won't come off. Is there a chemical which would remove this stuff which I could clean from my aquarium afterward?

It may be hard to see with water later but right now it's driving me crazy and I just want to be sure.

Thanks, Bob

HanoverFist
04/22/2011, 05:19 AM
fill the tank with vinegar and water and let soak for a bit then clean well.

allsps40
04/22/2011, 08:05 AM
^ this and a pack of razor blades. The haze is ca and other minerals from the salt. A good sharp razor will get it off.

bobpiker
04/22/2011, 12:23 PM
Thank you so much for the suggestion. I'm going to fill 'er up and let it sit for a couple of days with vinegar and water and then try scraping again. I may be worrying too much but I've been anticapting having this up and running all winter and the haze will always bug me if I can't get rid of it. I'm sure hoping for the best. These deposits don't actually become part of the glass so that it can't be removed, does it? I sure hope not.
Thanks, Bob

somethingphishy
04/22/2011, 03:33 PM
^ this and a pack of razor blades. The haze is ca and other minerals from the salt. A good sharp razor will get it off.only use the razors if its a glass tank

Percula9
04/22/2011, 03:58 PM
The bad news is, it is now part of the glass. I have had this problem before. It can't be removed. If the other side is good then turn the tank around.

bobpiker
04/22/2011, 08:57 PM
Ugh, I was afraid of that. I'll try the vinegar and water nonetheless and hope it gets better at least. I was wondering how a calcium descaler solution might work? Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Bob

MattAndKim
04/23/2011, 09:52 AM
Try diluting hydrochloric acid.

HanoverFist
04/23/2011, 02:40 PM
Keep in mind that vinegar is a mild acid. Leaving it sit for days "may" put your silicone at risk. But I'm just stating that to be cautious. No idea how long it would take to ruin the silicone. I'd shoot for a few hours - it does do a great job.

bobpiker
04/23/2011, 03:27 PM
Thanks for those two suggestions. I'll try vinegar for a few hours first and if that doesn't do the trick then off to hydrochloric acid diluted. I was thinking maybe some store bought lime away (removes calcium, too).

Best regards,
Bob

sasharotty
04/23/2011, 04:09 PM
Keep in mind that vinegar is a mild acid. Leaving it sit for days "may" put your silicone at risk. But I'm just stating that to be cautious. No idea how long it would take to ruin the silicone. I'd shoot for a few hours - it does do a great job.

I soaked my tank for 2 days with powerheads circulating.No problems and calcium and "haze" all came off.Just soak it for 2-3 days with circulation then use a razor.Should be good to go.Good luck!

bobpiker
04/23/2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for that advice. I'll try a few hours at first and if that doesn't do it I'll let it go for a couple of days as you suggest and tr again.

Have a good Sunday.
Bob