PDA

View Full Version : weld on?

rysher
04/22/2011, 08:49 AM
will weld on glue together plastic to acrylic?
thanks.

Acrylics
04/22/2011, 09:12 AM
Depends on what kind of "plastic" you are talking about, it will glue many plastics together.
But if you are wanting to glue polypro or polyethylene, then no.

James

CJBROWN
04/22/2011, 09:52 AM
Polystyrene yes.
James covered the rest.
Probly not ABS either, nor polycarbonate. At least that I'm aware of.

Acrylics
04/22/2011, 10:11 AM
Polystyrene yes.
James covered the rest.
Probly not ABS either, nor polycarbonate. At least that I'm aware of.
It'll do ABS and polycarb as well. You won't get nearly the strength of joint as in acrylic to acrylic, but it will stick :)

It'll stick to most thermoplastics, but not any thermosets.

James

CJBROWN
04/22/2011, 10:15 AM
Thank you, that's good to know.
I want to weld on reinforcements to thin polycarbonate tank covers so they don't bow. I had not tried welding acrylic strips to them yet.

Acrylics
04/22/2011, 10:57 AM
Polycarb shouldn't bow nearly as much as acrylic will - much more latent moisture in polycarb. That said, I usually make polycarb covers that can simply be flipped over if they do warp out :)

James

CJBROWN
04/22/2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, they're better now that the lights are on every day. They don't absorb so much moisture so they aren't bowing so bad. Easy to flip over. I just thought I could incorporate a stiffener and grab-bar type handle at the same time. Maybe more hassle than it's worth.

Good to know I can glue them though, at least for non-structural type applications.

Sorry for the threadjack... :spin1:

LaughingLarry
04/22/2011, 11:15 AM
There are several versions of Weld On. The #4 is what I use to bond acrylics and styrenes together. Not so much on ABS or Polycarb. The #16 is syrupie, and can fill cracks. So bonding of acrylics together it is great - even fills the small spaces from saw marks. I get mine at Industrial Plastics - www.iplasticsupply.com (http://www.iplasticsupply.com) in Anaheim. They have both there.