PDA

View Full Version : Fire, Cleaner, or both Shrimp

mess7777
04/22/2011, 10:02 AM
Hello all,

I want to add a couple shrimp to my system, and can't seem to make a decision. With your experience, which are more interesting between fire or cleaner shrimp? Or would it be even better to have both types. Even beyond that, would another type of shrimp be recommended.

I have a 110 gallon, only inverts at this point are hermits and a brittle star.

snorvich
04/22/2011, 10:04 AM
Hello all,

I want to add a couple shrimp to my system, and can't seem to make a decision. With your experience, which are more interesting between fire or cleaner shrimp? Or would it be even better to have both types. Even beyond that, would another type of shrimp be recommended.

I have a 110 gallon, only inverts at this point are hermits and a brittle star.

What fish? I have fire shrimp (mated pair), pistol shrimp (alpheus soror mated pair), and cleaner shrimp 3 or 4. I like them all.

mess7777
04/22/2011, 10:06 AM
I have 2 clowns, 2 yellows and a sailfin.

Gary Majchrzak
04/22/2011, 10:06 AM
get pairs of both species

snorvich
04/22/2011, 10:07 AM
I have 2 clowns, 2 yellows and a sailfin.

All of which should be invert safe.

charleneatkins
04/22/2011, 10:14 AM
I have a pair of peppermints and they are always hiding behind LR until nightime. My fire shrimp hangs out around the bottom of the powerhead intake.

amheck
04/22/2011, 10:35 AM
I have 1 cleaner and 1 fire shrimp in a 34g with invert-safe fish. Both seem to get along but stay on opposite sides of the tank. The fire shrimp is much more reclusive and the cleaner shrimp is much more out in the open. With that size tank, I think you'd be fine with a pair of each.

karavak
04/22/2011, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the answers!

I was going to go out today and pick up a pair of skunk cleaners since I read they could be the same tank (120g) as my Fire shrimp. The fire shrimp do stay in the rocks a lot more than my old skunks did.

Dingo44
04/22/2011, 11:37 AM
I had a cleaner shrimp for over a year, he was my buddy. Every time I put my hand in the tank, he would swim up to me and proceed to clean my fingers and remove the dead skin from around my finger nails. Then he died while molting, I must not have had enough iodide in the tank.

Now I have a fire shrimp because my gf liked the deep red color. He's more reclusive and hangs out in his cave all day. I never saw him until I angled the rock he was in so the opening to his cave faced the front of the tank. Now he's mr. social all of a sudden. He knows that the turkey baster is the bringer of food and latches onto it every time I put it into the tank.

It's only a matter of time before he starts giving me manicures like the cleaner...

markster33139
04/22/2011, 11:57 AM
I have 2 fire shrimp, 3 cleaner shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp in my 150. I have seen no issues whatsoever with any of the shrimp. The fire shrimp do tend to be a bit reclusive, and I don't see them as much, however the cleaners and peppermint are all over the tank.

Raggamuffin
04/22/2011, 02:37 PM
while not the prettiest I will never have a tank without a skunk cleaner in it. they all have had wonderful personalities and were VERY social to the point I sometimes had to shake them off my hand or they would have come with me to the store.