PDA

View Full Version : ? about Cree XP-E LED System

King Nikon
04/22/2011, 05:33 PM
I've done all the reading I know how to make them but still have a few questions I couldn't find answers to by using the search. I apologize for another redundant thread about them.

My tank is 30" x 13" x 16" and the front is a hex (picture at bottom)

I want it to be very blue, and grow only low light coral so mushroom, and some of the lower light softies. So it needs to be comparable to a 24" single T5 fixture with ATI Blue+. It CANNOT be more than 2 24" bulbs. So somewhere up to that is ok, in between would be best.

If you are wondering why, this is because it's for a peacock mantis shrimp tank, a lot of light causes shell rot and they live very deep in the ocean so it's very blue.

So how many Royal Blues do I need? 9? 12? More?

Any input from someone with experience or knows something about LEDs I would much appreciate it.

Again this is 30" x 13" 16" tank (The 13" is measured at the longest part in the back not the angled front part)

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii343/KingNikon/0421111612-00.jpg

vick
04/23/2011, 06:36 AM
I would go to reefledlights.com and call the contact number. I think his name is Bill. I've spoken with him before...very nice guy. He's really an expert and will let you know exactly what you'll need.

ptr13
04/23/2011, 06:47 AM
XPG-6 cool whites
XPE-12 RB
Driver-dimmable
Love this combo,looks very 14k to 20k. The XPG will be good for corals,the RB will benefit your corals and mantis,its 2:1 ratio and if its too bright,you can dim it. Make sure you keep us posted,wanted to see your shrimp under the LED blues,it will b awesome.

TheFishMan65
04/23/2011, 08:09 AM
I read somewhere the 1 watt of LED is the same a 3 watt of flourescent. So assuming a 24 is half a 48 then it would be 27 watts or 9 LEDs. So I would get 24 with dimmable drivers and turn them way down. Hopefully you have a PAR meter or some other way to measure comparable output before any damage would occur. If dark is better than light maybe 12.